Old Petrol Debunking the Theory

dunedin

Visit site
Yes it is very easy to copy and past theory from the Internet........ The whole point is that this is not bourn out in real life as my video shows.

You have got to wonder why people believe this copy and pasted stuff when real life shows otherwise.

What are you going to do with all your 'old Petrol'
Because your “test” was based upon different specification of petrol, prior to recent changes. It certainly wasn’t E10 petrol you last filled up with 5 years ago. So doesn’t prove anything about aging of current fuel.

Freebee

Visit site
so Mr. Bigplumbs I am afraid your video proves nothing, its old fuel which is not up to the modern spec , therefore you have not debunked any myths, just shared the results of un scientific experiment.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Because your “test” was based upon different specification of petrol, prior to recent changes. It certainly wasn’t E10 petrol you last filled up with 5 years ago. So doesn’t prove anything about aging of current fuel.
It would have been E5 and I think it proves a lot

Bigplumbs

Visit site
so Mr. Bigplumbs I am afraid your video proves nothing, its old fuel which is not up to the modern spec , therefore you have not debunked any myths, just shared the results of un scientific experiment.
Sorry dont agree. I also started this which ran on 7 month fuel in the tank. This was modern E10.

I do real life experiments, not theory but real life stuff done myself..... Go on try it it is fun. Lots Debunked my friend.

Momac

Visit site
Well I also have a 1998 Toyota Previa which was also laid up for about 5 years and we drive that all the time. We converted it into a micro camper. It also started first time on the petrol that had been in the tank over 5 years so that puts that one to bed. The Vectra was running just fine as can be seen in the video. Driving it would have made no difference.

In my many boat engines from 10 - 200 hp the fuel is left in the tanks for absolutely ages and they all start and work.

How about you try a real test and leave some petrol for 2 - 3 years and see what happens.

Very strange how you wont believe real life examples.

Very strange how you think you know best.

I have have experienced stale fuel issues which are usually cleared up by burning it through the engine and this is helped by adding fresh fuel. I had classic car that was summer use and even then didn't go far. It often had fuel in it that was several years old. That certainly required fresh fuel to be added to spice up the old fuel. but that had carburettors and not electronic ignition and not electronic fuel injection which compensates for fuel quality . Are any of the vehicles you refer to running on carburettors ? I suspect not.

Why are you trying to prove something that is clearly not correct ? Do you have any supportive evidence such as from an oil/petrol producing company to back up your claim ?

markc

Visit site
Each year our tender with a 25hp 2 stroke runs rough with year old fuel from the tank plus it stalls a lot on tick over. Improves considerably when I put new petrol in. QED

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Very strange how you think you know best.

I have have experienced stale fuel issues which are usually cleared up by burning it through the engine and this is helped by adding fresh fuel. I had classic car that was summer use and even then didn't go far. It often had fuel in it that was several years old. That certainly required fresh fuel to be added to spice up the old fuel. but that had carburettors and not electronic ignition and not electronic fuel injection which compensates for fuel quality . Are any of the vehicles you refer to running on carburettors ? I suspect not.

Why are you trying to prove something that is clearly not correct ? Do you have any supportive evidence such as from an oil/petrol producing company to back up your claim ?
So you know best and not me..... Perhaps if you look one post above yours you will see a 20 hp outboard with a carb running well on 7 month old petrol.

I have about 12 outboards and I tend to have no issues in this regard with any of them.

I trust my own experiences rather than the theory of others who like to have a little polish of their bilge from time to time.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Each year our tender with a 25hp 2 stroke runs rough with year old fuel from the tank plus it stalls a lot on tick over. Improves considerably when I put new petrol in. QED
So you dont go throwing the 'Old fuel' away. you use it in the normal way most people would

Bigplumbs

Visit site
And what exactly does that have to do with your debunked 'debunked' theory?
Well nothing other than the more people that know the truth the less people will go chucking ok petrol down the drain damaging the environment and wasting money.

The is a common belief out there that last years petrol should be got out and disposed of. Would you not agree

Bouba

Visit site
Well nothing other than the more people that know the truth the less people will go chucking ok petrol down the drain damaging the environment and wasting money.

The is a common belief out there that last years petrol should be got out and disposed of. Would you not agree
The common belief seems to be that old fuel is used in the cheapest engine available...lawnmowers the weapon of choice

Freebee

Visit site
I think most responders on here are thinking in terms of boating, in which case I would suggest that most would want to be very cautious and put the newest fuel in their boats rather than 7 months or even 7 year old petrol then putting to sea and appearing in the next episode of "saving lives at sea" with a dead engine.

running it in a lawnmower would seem a safer option but then some of us have expensive lawn mowers where gummy old fuel can cause a lot of expensive problems.

julians

Visit site

So you're not saying that old petrol doesnt degrade over time? You agree that it does degrade over time?

You're just saying that degraded fuel should not be thrown away,but should be used in engines that can tolerate it and/or in situations that are not critically dependent on a reliable engine?

I think that's plainly obvious and you'll find no disagreement from anyone.

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site
My Merc 5hp two-stroke is a bit of a Princess, and not in a good way, when it comes to fuel.
More than once I have had to get rid of fuel when it wouldn't start at all, and fresh fuel solved the problem.
Failing to shake the tank before starting also seems to cause a problem.

On the other hand, it turns out the lawnmower will run on absolutely anything, including 2-stroke mix :ROFLMAO: 🤓 (the lawnmower is an ancient 4-stroke)

Keith-i

Visit site
I think the real question is not so much whether your jalopi would run but how it might affect performance. We need a 0 to 60 comparison between old and fresh petrol.