Old Age

peter bush

Visit site
Is creeping up on me.And moving about on my modest sailing boat is getting to be just a tad too much.But I don’t want to leave the world of boats and boating just yet. So I am contemplating buying a small coastal,non planing craft for pottering and sometimes overnighting in the Plymouth area.Even further afield as I am used to trailer sailing. One type that caught my eye was the Tamer 2000. They seem to be few a far between.I have obviously scanned the usual sources Apollo Duck ,Boats & Outboards etc, but can I call on the collective wisdom and knowledge of this site for further suggestions? Ta.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Is creeping up on me.And moving about on my modest sailing boat is getting to be just a tad too much.But I don’t want to leave the world of boats and boating just yet. So I am contemplating buying a small coastal,non planing craft for pottering and sometimes overnighting in the Plymouth area.Even further afield as I am used to trailer sailing. One type that caught my eye was the Tamer 2000. They seem to be few a far between.I have obviously scanned the usual sources Apollo Duck ,Boats & Outboards etc, but can I call on the collective wisdom and knowledge of this site for further suggestions? Ta.

Facebook Market place is a very good place to buy second hand boats and more realistic pricing

simonfraser

Visit site

consider park and ride for your trailer, docking poles and a bow thurster esp if cross tide / wind.

38mess

Visit site
There used to be quite a few for sale around your neck of the woods. They were usually sold new as a bare hull and fitted out by the owners. I looked at two about 10 years ago that were fitted out as cabin cruisers and they were perfect for what you want. I bought an open boat version to use for fishing, still have it, it's a great sea boat, slow but sea worthy.
Good luck with the search

Bouba

Visit site
Old age creeping up on you eh? Well it’s not creeping up on me! The wife would probably describe it as a runaway train....anyhow there is only one cure for old age.....a motorboat ?....enjoy ?

Hacker

Visit site
There have been a few Tamar 2000 for sale around the SW over the last couple of months. Also consider a Channel Island 22, a few have been on the market recently as well.

The Q

Visit site
The Tamar for getting about the place and..
1664438951232.png
will keep you sailing for many more years to come..

Dino

Visit site
The Channel Islands 22 is a good shout. The Natant 24 is worth a look too.
Do you plan to trailer it or leave on a mooring or jetty?
what’s your budget?

Ferris

Visit site
If you plan on trailer sailing all the suggested boats are likely to big and heavy. Trailer sailing a comparably sized sailboat and a motorboat are very different things I think.

Suggest a Hardy Pilot 18 / Landau 20 or similar outboard powered boat if you're set on trailing and launching yourself. Or if accommodation is not a requirement then a 4-5m rib or a small centre console hard boat.

peter bush

Visit site
There used to be quite a few for sale around your neck of the woods. They were usually sold new as a bare hull and fitted out by the owners. I looked at two about 10 years ago that were fitted out as cabin cruisers and they were perfect for what you want. I bought an open boat version to use for fishing, still have it, it's a great sea boat, slow but sea worthy.
Good luck with the search
Thank you that’s reassuring.

KREW2

Visit site
I have done the same, and friends have asked me if I miss sailing. My answer is no, but I do miss the agility to be able do it.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I think that DavidJ is right, looking to tow and launch and retrieve with the type of boat you will be looking at will be hard work. I am a very fit 61 year old farmer and we have a Yamarin 59HT, a sportsboat that weighs probably 1 or1.5t. We have the launch and retrieve off to a fine art - a vintage tractor on the front with a 12v winch and decades of experience. It is as much as we can manage easily and safely. I think that the likes of the Tamar, perhaps a Hardy or Plymouth Pilot would be a fair old lump to manage in and out of the water. Maybe tow her and take her with you but book a berth or mooring when you get to where you will be staying.
Good luck with your search. A very exciting new phase in your boating life.

Bouba

Visit site
Launching on a public ramp (with the inevitable queue) requires teamwork...husband and wife in perfect harmony....I remember walking past the ramp and watching the boats launch...and I said to the wife, nostalgically, remember the good old days when we did that, we were a real team...to which she replied...all I remember was you yelling at me...
So a permanent place in a port is best as you get older..I still yell at her...but it’s now just for a tiny part of the day...wedded bliss..

Assassin

Visit site
Launching on a public ramp (with the inevitable queue) requires teamwork...husband and wife in perfect harmony....I remember walking past the ramp and watching the boats launch...and I said to the wife, nostalgically, remember the good old days when we did that, we were a real team...to which she replied...all I remember was you yelling at me...
So a permanent place in a port is best as you get older..I still yell at her...but it’s now just for a tiny part of the day...wedded bliss..
Memories can be so fickle.

R400

Visit site
Used to trailer a Channel Island 22 but it wasn’t an easy ‘let’s hitch up and go’ situation. As a small stay aboard brilliant, also had a Colvin 22 sea worker which did the same job but lighter . my thoughts are that if you want to tow its best to have a rig that fits on a roller coaster trailer= less stress on the slip.
landau would do the job but quirky.
Ask Kawasaki he’ll have some good suggestions