Old ( 1979 odd) Lewmar 42ST Winch corrosion

BobE

Visit site
Just servicing my old genoa winches ...note a fair bit of corrosion on lower face of the anodised alloy "Upper crown Plate" (part 15042603) where it is fastened by 3 stainless cap screws to the bronze drum (1542402)...
The plate is now I fear obsolete as a spare part.
It's not terminal and will be refitted ...But not brilliant!
Wondered if anyone had tried ..

A) turning off the bottom face until the corrosion was eliminated and making a new spacer to replace the lost thickness?
or
B) Refitting the thing with "Duralac" paste to stop further corrosion between the alloy (once anodised) crown pate and the bronze drum?

Option B) will probably be my choice but will it stop the corrosion?

Cheers Happy launching, and 2015 cruises,

Mind those b...... wind turbines,

Bob (Quixote) E....

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Duralac is probably a useful measure but there may be a better one. The shroud attachment on Hobie 16 catamarans is a stainless steel fitting that is riveted to the aluminium trapeze beams. Many of these boats are sailed in the tropics, where the combination of high temperatures, rainfall and a marine atmosphere resulted in galvanic corrosion of the aluminium, followed by mast collapses. Rather than use Duralac, which would have been messy and problematic on production lines, they simply put a piece of 'sticky back plastic' between the fittings and beam, which completely solved the problem. A thin sheet of plastic would probably be just as effective on your winches.

BobE

Visit site
Thanks Viv,
That certainly has possibilities...
Following on..
I could even turn off the lower flange of crown plate and replace it with a plastic ring turned to the right dimensions. ( the stripper ring would still be located by the skt hd capscrews

Also just realised that I need to drill and bush the crown plate for the three capscrews with tufnol or whatever to do a proper job..
Ho Hum.
Cheers Bob E....