OK.... I'm about to do it.....

cngarrod

Visit site
OK.... I\'m about to do it.....

Have got the money... am having a trial next wednesday and will part with the readies just after.. unless it sinks i guess! So now for loads of questions! It is only a little one to start with a 21 foot Fairline Vixen... but it is a foot on the ladder to boat ownership!

Do i need to get a VHF radio and therefore a license?
The Boat is about £5k, so is it a good idea to get it insured?
If it isn't wired for shore power, is it worth doing and is it tricky to do?

Will be keeping in at a Marina local to me to keep it (Ipswich Haven Marina) - so have got to get Fenders and so on... but otherwise it is pretty much ready to go... can't wait!

Any top tips would be good...!

Thanks in advance...

Visit site
Re: OK.... I\'m about to do it.....

A lot of marinas make insurance a must, should only be about £100 for that kind of boat.
VHF also should be a must although admittedly these days I find I use the mobile more. Have a look around in the marinas notieboards for secondhand one. Maybe easier to get a handheld.
Great cruising in the Orwell, Enjoy the boat!

eddieperkins

Visit site

Hi,
I would reccomment you do get a VHF, but you will need two licences, one for the radio and an operators licence to use it. Try Sarah at Pin Mill sailing for the training, its just a short course and is not difficult. If its your first boat and you have not used one before you should also get some practical and theory training, theory done in the winter at night school, agin try Sarah, practical best in summer.

Definatly get it insured, its not so much about damage to your boat but damage that you can do to others. Take a look around at some of the other boats and what they are worth, you would not like the bill for repair/replacement if it all went wrong would you???.

Shore power, depends what you want it for, essentially its not difficult to do but can get complicated if you want to run all sorts of goddies off of it whilst the boat is unattended.

You should consider Neptune Marina and possibly Debbages for moorings, more cost effective (ie cheaper)

I have a cruiser based at Debbages so if you want any help drop me an e-mail.
Regards

Eddie

G

I echo the point that insurance is not so much about insuring your own boat for damage as about damage you might do to others, especially if there are any injuries involved. Better safe than sorry!

Re the VHF, go for as it is a proper marine solution. Using a mobile phone only works to a certain extent as, offshore, cover is limited. Mostly around the UK you will only have cover up to a couple of miles out, if that - it depends whether there is a main road somewhere near the coastline.

You should get some training also. Remember that even a 21 footer doing 20+knots will create a fair wash and noise. The wash will be enough to tip a dinghy for example. Give other water users a wide berth to allow for this. Otherwise enjoy yourself. Its a great hobby and remember we all started somewhere - my own first boat was a speedboat, followed with a little Shetland 570. You tend to creep up and each boat gets bigger than the one before until one day you say "if only I had put it in pensions!"

Nick

Scubadoo

Visit site

I know it this sounds boring but try and do the RYA Powerboat Level 1 & 2 course - it will help you allot. I tend to use my Mobile phone on my boat and carry a portable VHF - I tend to regard my VHF as an emergency item, rather then use it to make make general calls. I know Nick has said they have a limited range but to be honest I never had a problem with coverage even when 15miles out and been doing that for the last 10years.

My first boat was a speedboat and my first few years was a heavy learning curve (but great fun), I have now upgraded to a 25ft boat and more recently thinking of a 30ft - Nick is right you just want to go bigger and further.

Get insurance it's cheap and for shore power start with a DIY set-up i.e. buy the marina lead and use a standard extension block on the end (inside the boat - safety). Then later install a fixed system - I got someone to do mine.

Have fun and remember to keep to the speed limits on rivers and harbours.

RM.

chrisbrown

Visit site

Spend a few pounds on a chart of the area that you will start operating in at first and go over it with some one who has some training and experiance. Build up a picture of any hazard area and the tidal movements and heights for the time of your trips. Make sure that you understand where the outside edge of this knowledge is and identify this spot on the actual geography that you see. If you stay inside this box at first you will have time to think and enjoy your trip. Work out your fuel in hours at slow, medium and high speed, you need more than enough to get back with in each speed mode, you could mark the chart with the maximum fuel range.

cngarrod

Visit site

Thanks for all the assistance, some excellent food for thought... How woudl i get hold of Sarah @ Pin Mill? Does she advertise on the notice board just next to the pub?

Will take the time to get the RYA qualifications, i wish to be respected as a serious boater and not some numpty that causes accidents by being careless...

Am going to investigate the insurance costs today as well as give Neptune a call to compare prices... Had a look at debbages last night (after the comedy club in town!) and it appears tidal... is this the case?

I Look forward to seeing the local responders on the water soon!

eddieperkins

Visit site

Hi,
Sarah Hopkinson is on 01473 780510. Debbages is tidal but restriction is limited to about 1.5 hrs either side of low water springs dependant on your draught. Good luck with the boat trials.
Eddie

eddieperkins

Visit site

Chris,
Congratulations on joining the boating fraternity, hope you get lots of enjoyment out of your new boat and not to much stress.
Happy sailing
Eddie