Ohh dear.. Registration thread again.

ironmaiden

Visit site
Okey doky, I have searched the threads that are pertinent to boat registration but I cannot seem to find an exact fit.
So, if you are a British citizen who is a Portuguese resident, and you buy a swedish boat in portugal, can you change the registration to uk and if so is it ssr or part1?
Also what are the vat implications keeping it in portugal etc now that we have shot ourselves in the foot (well blown our heads off really) since brexit.
I think the boat is vat paid or exempt due to age.
Thanks in advance from Miss Totally Mystified!

billskip

Visit site
Okey doky, I have searched the threads that are pertinent to boat registration but I cannot seem to find an exact fit.
So, if you are a British citizen who is a Portuguese resident, and you buy a swedish boat in portugal, can you change the registration to uk and if so is it ssr or part1?
Also what are the vat implications keeping it in portugal etc now that we have shot ourselves in the foot (well blown our heads off really) since brexit.
Tranoa is the expert on this...if you have read the othe threads you will have read some of his very informative posts...he will be along soon I should think.

I think that you have to have a uk residential address (you are supposed to be living in uk) to register ssr or part one...but I may be wrong....the boat does not have to go to the uk, and you will be allowed 18months in EU waters I think. I would advise you to check carefully your Portuguese residents permission regarding the legal permission of ownership...speaking as a Spanish resident it complicates things if I try to avoid the Spanish rules that apply to resident ownership or main user( eg: if I said it was my son's boat, but I used it, it would be considered as I owned it.)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I have Portuguese residence and our UK registered boat has been based there for around 18 years, with no problems whatsoever.

If you buy the Swedish boat in Portugal and do not qualify for UK residence, then Part 1 applies. As long as it's VAT paid in EU, there's no additional VAT to pay in Portugal.

P.S. We are also UK resident (as I think you may be at the moment) our boat is on Part 3 SSR.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
Part1 is open the U.K. citizens wherever the live. The downside it’s you need a tonnage survey - which may be expensive to organise in Sweden/Portugal.

Part3 (SSR) is only open to UK residents, so appears to exclude you

U.K. VAT will not apply unless the boat is imported to the U.K. (where you then get a bunch of other bigger regulatory headaches despite its age). Whether that applies for a temporary visit is more complicated.

Graham376

Visit site
Part1 is open the U.K. citizens wherever the live. The downside it’s you need a tonnage survey - which may be expensive to organise in Sweden/Portugal.

Part3 (SSR) is only open to UK residents, so appears to exclude you

U.K. VAT will not apply unless the boat is imported to the U.K. (where you then get a bunch of other bigger regulatory headaches despite its age). Whether that applies for a temporary visit is more complicated.

I got a quote for friend last year and locally based surveyor (John Venner) quoted around €800 for part 1 survey which, if done at same time as insurance survey doesn't add too much.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I got a quote for friend last year and locally based surveyor (John Venner) quoted around €800 for part 1 survey which, if done at same time as insurance survey doesn't add too much.
£800 for a Tonnage Survey is a complete rip off. Fifteen minutes max with a measuring tape is all it takes and if the surveyor has access to the Builders Certified or has surveyed the same model before he doesn't even need to visit the boat. It really pained me to pay €800 for one recently in Croatia.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
That's good value, but you can probably go Polish for much less. I don't know if that would be a problem in Portugal though.

Graham376

Visit site
That's good value, but you can probably go Polish for much less. I don't know if that would be a problem in Portugal though.

Going Polish last year instead of part1 cost him €600 and he's not managed to obtain insurance, even third party. He's UK citizen resident in Portugal but no address except the boat yard.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I'm a German resident, UK/German citizen buying a VAT paid boat in Croatia. The boat is currently German registered but I'm going U.K. Part 1. Application is half way through, tonnage survey cost 270 GBP which is the YDSA rate but the surveyor was not local so travelling costs whacked it up to around €650 in total.... 3 in Portugal.

Measurer for Registration | YDSA

The surveyor I used last time in Split didn't bother to answer my E-Mail, and U.K. tonnage surveyors are rare as hens teeth in Croatia.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I'm a German resident, UK/German citizen buying a VAT paid boat in Croatia. The boat is currently German registered but I'm going U.K. Part 1. Application is half way through, tonnage survey cost 270 GBP which is the YDSA rate but the surveyor was not local so travelling costs whacked it up to around €650 in total.... 3 in Portugal.

Measurer for Registration | YDSA

The surveyor I used last time in Split didn't bother to answer my E-Mail, and U.K. tonnage surveyors are rare as hens teeth in Croatia.
I hope you haven't upset the Professor :p.
€650 is a lot less than I paid our man and I still had to pay £130 to the IIMS. You did well but it's still daylight robbery.