Oh what a night

hagrid

Visit site
Oh what a night!

Needed to get boat round to Itchin today so watched weather and decided that the only way because Wednesday forecast was heavy rain so thought take boat to Ocean village Tuesday night then just run her up this morning: Good plan I thought

Left Chichester at 19:00 hrs, headed out to the bar everything was going oh so well, got to the dolphin and decided to open her up as sea was ok, got to the west pole and the sea changed suddenly headed towards the forts just as I got on the plane the alarms in my starboard engine went off, I cut the engine thinking I had something around the props or inlet? Tried to fire them up- again the warning went on. Lifted the hatch in a lumpy swell was proving to be interesting. Saw coloured water all over the floor, GREAT

What to do turn back against a strong tide or continue to OV, if needed could put into Gun Wharf or Campers to get sorted.

Called Sea Start, Col, Wiggo and Nick 2 and advised Coastguard, well a big thank you to all of them, I made it to OV at 11.10 sea start kept calling to ensure all was OK, the coastguard wanted updates every 30 mins. Wiggo and Nick 2 kept me smiling when I wanted to cry, Being single handed and on a journey that because of circumstances was proving to be my fist night crossing with one engine in heavy swell in the channel and poor vis in Solent. Started to tell me something. Anyway the moral of this story for me was I can do night crossings, even with one engine, I can’t talk highly enough of Sea Start (bob) who despite the weather kept offering to come out if I wanted. The Coastguard who despite saying its his job made me feel that assistance was just a PTT away. The members of this forum who without their words of wisdom, and care for fellow mobo would of seen me crack in to a small heap and last but no means MDL Ocean Village who as soon as I arrived gave me the big berth and helped me in.

This morning the boat was taken to Itchen and now is being sorted, I have time to reflect on all the things I learnt and if I could of done more? The well deserved beer did come when I found a bar in Southampton thanks to a taxi driver and boy it tasted good.

While I know many of you out there would not be fazed this is still only my third season and just highlighted to me how much more I have to learn.

Just wanted to express my thanks and share my moments of an interesting evening

Hagrid

LeytonC

Visit site
Do you know what the problem was/is yet? but well done on a difficult crossing, i have known people to freak out in far better conditions - let alone at night.

hagrid

Visit site
Kev,

After a day like that Im sure everybody would go straight to bed, I chose to sink a few beers although it was late, I think I left the bar around three or four. By that time I felt slighly better

although the head today is beating and thumping rather loudly

hagrid

Visit site
Water pump belt but in the dark and in lumpy seas it might of well been the iceberg, I only managed to keep it together because of the forumites Wiggo Col Nick 2 , and the calm advice from Seastart and teh Coastguard. I felt like death really

Wiggo even rang the coastguard and arranged berths in Warwash if required with friends like that this forum is worth its weight in gold

Hagrid

LeytonC

Visit site
Well, i think you all did well - I have met Col and Nick2, and they are great guys, i have not met Wiggo, but well done on an excellent Job - but dont underestimate yourself as well, it takes some balls to complete the sail with an engine down and still keep your mind on navigation, watch, collision avoidence etc. esp. well you feel like death!

Its nice to have good people on your side though...

garethuk

Visit site
Its great to hear such great team work! well done on the single voyage and it sounded the trip from hell. I bet next time you're be asking a mate to come along /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bet you learned more knowledge during those short hours than you could in as many months!

well done!

duncan

Visit site
Glad you are well and were kept going by the gang; suspect your heartrate was still way too high when you got in for sleep despite the late hour and exhaustion..........exactly what bars are for!
hope to see you on the water at some point soon; no doubt in the said company........
duncan

Col

Visit site
What a confidance boost that gave you eh! (getting there in one piece)
Next time, in the dark, on two engines- will be a "walk in the park"

BrendanS

Visit site
It's these sorts of events, and getting through them, that turn you from competent to experienced. Not saying Hagrid won't bead a little sweat in future, but will probably take more in his stride in future having been through this. Well done for getting through it!

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Crikey! - that was a night! Glad you got sorted. As I have said in previous posts, Sea Start would be a boon in North Wales - but alas, they don't operate here.

I have done a night passage over here and its quite scarey to think that I am really alone 7nm off shore with no Col or Wiggo for moral support. I find night time quite scary, and quite exhilerating out at sea. Hmmm -think I'll stay in port /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Questor

Visit site
Andy

Nightmare! Glad to hear all is safe & well in the end. Not a lot of fun at the time, I'm sure. I always thought you were quite brave taking that tub of yours out single handed, even when all went well.

R

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Glad to hear you got there OK. I bet now you've done it and got there safely that you value the experience, and feel some sense of satisfaction that you kept it all together. If it wasn't for the repair bill you might even say you enjoyed it... or maybe not.