Of Interest to Bavaria Owners ?

Bav34

Visit site
Agreed and all checked . Not sure about tiller rot but I know that the vertical bolt through the tiller is essential and, in my case, can suffer from crevice corrosion.

Googling "Bavaria Yacht problems" produces its own list. I hope you find it as useful a resource.

Googling just about any make of boat, car or man made product will throw up a list of problems.

Your point is?

Tranona

Visit site
For those sensitive souls who objected to Mitt Romney's product being mentioned in the subject line, the post was serious, the information pertinent and of interest, I was not aware of the link being posted before and whether you like it or not CFK* links Bavarias with keels as surely as it links Rocna with out of spec steel, blue ensigns with snooty incompetents, MABs with dingy oil-smelling dankness, mobos with inconsiderate wash and colregs with DAKA. Unfortunately the machinery of the forum won't allow smilies in the subject line (or if it does I don't know how) otherwise I would have added one.

*Thanks Innesker

Good of you to contribute to CFK - there is now a new connection "awol and useless pointless posts". Recognition for you at last. You could now run against Toad of Toad Hall for champion troll.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
there are a few oddballs on this forum who cannot stop themselves from alluding to a one-off incident involving one of the many thousands of Bavarias in use. In this case, there also seems to be a lack of understanding of the difference between a canting-keel water-ballasted race boat, and a cruising yacht. It says nothing about Bavarias but a great deal about the OP.

+1

And it was a one off incident on the bonded keel design on the Match range which is completely different to Bavaria's typical "cruising" ranges design which are pretty much the same design as any keel on any modern AWB you can name.

Maybe it was funny a few times, but the joke's worn thin.

Last edited:

dt4134

Visit site
And it was a one off incident on the fairly extreme bonded keel design on the Match range which is completely different to Bavaria's typical "cruising" ranges design which are pretty much the same design as any keel on any modern AWB you can name.

There was nothing extreme about the Bavaria Match series or its keel design. They were intended as competitors to Beneteau's First range and were reasonably conservative cruiser racers from an AWB builder.

As I understand it the hull laminate was too thin on that particular Match, so the keel was still firmly attached to the hull even after it fell off. Bavaria have never admitted to a construction fault as far as I know, but I do know the hulls of several were strengthened and not at the owners cost.

For Awol to humorously link Rambler's keel loss to the Bavaria joke was a bit stretched, as they were completely unrelated incidents, but if the Bavaria fans on the forum want the keel jokes to stop I afraid they've probably got an uphill struggle. :D

awol

Visit site
+1

And it was a one off incident on the fairly extreme bonded keel design on the Match range which is completely different to Bavaria's typical "cruising" ranges design which are pretty much the same design as any keel on any modern AWB you can name.

Maybe it was funny a few times, but the joke's worn thin.

Encouraged by the Bav owner who had googled "Contessa 32" I googled "Bavaria keels". For those who think it was a one off incident on a Match 35 it may make uncomfortable reading. I would stress that I have done no analysis on age, prior grounding or anything else nor am I comparing Bavs to any other make.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
I googled "Bavaria keels". For those who think it was a one off incident on a Match 35 it may make uncomfortable reading.

I've done that search and on the first page there's nothing of any concern at all!

As far as I can see the typical Bavaria construction is the same as all modern AWBs. Is it in some way different? How is it different?

Ripster

Visit site
Of interest to Contessa owners ?

I tried one of those google searches for Contessas ...

Contessa 32

They're nowhere near as cramped as people make out, the toilet is definately not next to the bed and the interior looks quite light and airy.

I can't see why anyone owning one of these would have a chip on their shoulder. :confused:

:D:D

DAKA

Visit site
For those sensitive souls who objected to Mitt Romney's product being mentioned in the subject line, the post was serious, the information pertinent and of interest, I was not aware of the link being posted before and whether you like it or not CFK* links Bavarias with keels as surely as it links Rocna with out of spec steel, blue ensigns with snooty incompetents, MABs with dingy oil-smelling dankness, mobos with inconsiderate wash and colregs with DAKA. Unfortunately the machinery of the forum won't allow smilies in the subject line (or if it does I don't know how) otherwise I would have added one.

*Thanks Innesker

What a long thread, please note I havent read much of it !

Why AWOL decided to drag me in I have no idea but seeing as I am here I may as well chuck my 2p in !

I'm afraid Bavaria owners and troll hunters arnt going to like it !

When the metologist report is published you will find that the ductile rupture is close to 90% .

However Bavaria owners should take note of the petty 2-5% fatigue failure clearly visible and clearly initiated well before this boat started the race, complete with classic beaching marks propagating out from the crack initiation.

There would almost certainly be a rust mark seeping from the keel at the crack initiation point.

I realize many boats have rust marks seeping from the keel but these are usually traced to the bolts .

Anyone finding rust marks from the keel and cracks of expansion in the gel around the keel at lift out needs to be checking very carefully.

If you push your boat to the limit then you need to be especially vigilant at the next lift out to check your keel, any sign of rust needs further investigation.

The Rambler would have been showing signs of keel weakness prior to the event.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
DAKA,

It's a metallurgist who may be joining in the various reports, and still of no more interest to Bavaria owners than any other boat type or for that matter owners of steel bridges & other structures.

Trolls live under bridges I recall, so metallurgy should be of particular interest to them.

As mentioned before the SAR / emergency beacon aspect is of most interest, no-one is that surprised when a state of the art pushing-everything-to-the-limit racing boat has a bad moment; if it was a racing power boat, flipping, blowing up etc would seem to be the done thing. :)

zefender

Visit site
"Analysis"

I would stress that I have done no analysis on age, prior grounding or anything else nor am I comparing Bavs to any other make.

So, actually you've done no analysis at all, have you, before drawing your naive conclusion? Just a google.

Mind you, such things can show up how easily people can be swayed by Google.
Google counts of listings:

Beneteau keel problems - 1,220,000 listed
Bavaria keel problems - 146,000 listed

and er

Contessa keel problems - 525,000 listed.

Seajet

Visit site
So, actually you've done no analysis at all, have you, before drawing your naive conclusion? Just a google.

Mind you, such things can show up how easily people can be swayed by Google.
Google counts of listings:

Beneteau keel problems - 1,220,000 listed
Bavaria keel problems - 146,000 listed

and er

Contessa keel problems - 525,000 listed.

There's lies, damned lies and statistics.

Apparently 33% of road accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

We'd better ban these sober types quick, they cause 77% of accidents, they're a menace ! :rolleyes:

fireball

Visit site
There's lies, damned lies and statistics.

Apparently 33% of road accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

We'd better ban these sober types quick, they cause 77% of accidents, they're a menace ! :rolleyes:

Er ... do you mean 67% ?

I assume statistics isn't your strong point ...

Bav34

Visit site
Just waiting for AWOL to crawl out, sort of snuffling, from his heads, sorry forward cabin, sorry, heads :D for some more enlightened trolling

d39435b4eea186e79a049670965419a0_zps0b34b735.jpg

God, no wonder he's so unpleasant ... must permanently suffer from SAD.

Tranona

Visit site
Why AWOL decided to drag me in I have no idea but seeing as I am here I may as well chuck my 2p in !

You were only "dragged in" in vain support of the OPs reason for making the original nonsense post. His argument is that "everybody" here connects failed keels with Bavarias just as "everybody" connects DAKA with colregs etc. Now termed CFK (Common Forum Knowledge).

Nothing really to do with keels per se, nor any special knowledge you might have on the subject - just a somewhat sad person trying to be funny - and failing miserably.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
CFK* links Bavarias with keels....

The one thing Bavarias are not linked to is keels.

Everyone knows that.

:rolleyes:

(this CFK stuff... Is it like a really good glue....??? Cause if it works could I borrow a tub.... I've got a Bavaria which needs linking to its keel see...)

Tranona

Visit site
My post wasnt an attempt at humour :confused:
The forum appears to be in a weird sensitive mood, where it is acceptable for very rude people to post .

I thought the idea for a forum was to pool thoughts in order to benefit from a common wisdom.

The last time you had a go at me I had to wait over two years to be proven right , lets hope the official metallurgist report is out soon.

In the mean time :p off

Oh dear Pete! you have completely misunderstood. Was not trying to make fun of you - quite the opposite. You need to read the whole thread to see it is all a windup by awol and you are just collateral. It is not even a serious discussion about keels.

So to make things clear - you are NOT the sad, rude person, and what you say about potential weaknesses of bolt on keels and keel joints is correct - but again nothing really to do with the point of the thread (if there is one).