Northernreef Insurance

davidpowell

Visit site
Has anyone experience of making a claim against Northernreef insurance (underwriters of policies brokered by Kendall Becker and now Edward William Marine)? Good, bad or indifferent performance would be helpful to know about.

Joe_Cole

Visit site
If you search the forum you'll find this has come up several times.
I don't think that anyone has been able to report how they handled a claim, but several have warned against them.

davidpowell

Visit site
I have had a look at some of the comments. I want to find if there is anything positive about Northernreef; I don't have to survey my car or house to get insurance - Northernreef apply the same logic to boats but is there a catch?

BrendanS

Visit site
Milltech is insured with them, so worth pm'ing him, but he's never tried a claim. The reason he seemed to go with them is he couldn't find anyone else to take his boat on.

They are offshore, and FSA (Financial Services Authority) have given warnings agianst them, even though outside their jurisdiction, due to prior behaviour of the owners

twisterkai

Visit site
Not had any experience of them or heard of them before. You could try Nautical Insurance Services who are based in Essex. They took over the business of my previous insurer, Pentagon, who were based in Guernsey. Although, thankfully, I've never had to claim, every aspect of their service is excellent - even down to them still providing cover when I've forgotten to arrange a survey - the excess was increased slightly during the 12 month delay. They have also been extremely good when providing winter sailing cover - it's just been a small admin charge to cover the policy amendments.

They use Lloyds of London underwritten policies, are very competative and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Why don't you want to have a survey done? I like to think that I have a good working knowledge of boat construction, but the surveys have always picked up (albeit minor things) that I've missed. It's a pain shelling out another 2-3 hundred quid, but for peace of mind I think it's worth it.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We use them and they are excellent to deal with - no survey required, easily kept our boat in the water last winter for an increase in the excess, added extras to the policy this year (liferaft and others) at no extra premium.

But . . . we haven't claimed.

- Nick

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
[ QUOTE ]
Milltech is insured with them, so worth pm'ing him, but he's never tried a claim. The reason he seemed to go with them is he couldn't find anyone else to take his boat on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's almost true. What I couldn't find was anyone who'd take me on for single handed use. They didn't ask for a survey, (though of course I had a good one), and Kendal Becker (who are no more) were always there and considerate to my wants. I haven't tried contacting the Edward William people but I will certainly try for someone else next time, just for peace of mind, unless they can offer me some solid information. Since I have been on the hard all summer the risk for the time being seems modest.

sailorbob

Visit site
I thought it strange to learn that Kendall Becker are no more, so I did a quick google search. This revealed that they have had their application to the FSA refused. See here

The would seem to heap more suspicion onto Northernreef and their associates.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
I don't know about them one way or the other, but I don't think it automatically means they have black characters simply because the FSA wouldn't approve them.

In this ever more paper driven world smaller businesses often find they cannot meet ever more stringent requirements heaped on them and give up. They wrote me a nice letter to say they were retiring, handed me on to another company, and so far as I am concerned acted decently.

That they were perhaps forced into the decision to retire by the FSA doesn't mean they didn't do the right thing. As I say, I don't know if there is an evil mind at the centre of all this or not, but I choose to believe in peoples honesty if they've always dealt with me that way in the past.

dionisis12

Visit site
I am considering to use Edward Williams that do act as a broker for Northreef and they claim that they are regulated by the spanish FSA. Their webpage does not state this and i would imagine that you will want your customers to know this.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't blacken my boat quite so effectively, it's not that others won't take it on, they will, it's that they won't allow me single handed operation.

There have been many highly predjuced comments about Northern Reef, and they may turn out to be true, but so far I haven't read of anyone who's had a claim turned down, it seems to be rumour and their offshore set-up.

edit: Funny how old posts turn up and get you answering again, I see I've been here before! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dayspring

Visit site
I'm insured by Edward Williams. As are all my dad's boats(numbering at least 7!). We were handed on by Kendall Becker - and other than having one issue about losing a cheque sent to a PO Box. We've had no problems. No claims though.

Bosunlocker

Visit site
Thats good to hear depending of the outcome of the claim
We shall publish all the details of the bonified claim.
We are concerned with all negative feedback about Northernreef and I hope we are wrong.
The public will be the judge.

BrendanS

Visit site
It would have been better to start a new thread though, rather than reactivate a 2 year old one, as a lot happens in the insurance world in 2 years

Carling

Visit site
They insured me and seemed reasonable to deal with...but so did General Accident when I paid the premiums for my house insurance but were less helpfull when it came to claiimng for a burglary.
Good luck