nice places to visit between Dublin and Inverness

ErikKiekens

Visit site
Hello there, I will be cruising from Dublin to Inverness (Caledonian Canal) the first two weeks in August. I look forward to rocky coastlines, mountains and wildlife, BUT...
My 17-year old daughter enjoys places like Padstow on the Cornish coast, where we went last year. Crowded with tourists is OK for her. So, if I want to please her, where do I stop?
(Yes I know, I'm not the only one. Thanks for your compassion.)
Erik
the Belgian sailorman

uxb

Visit site
Bangor and maybe Oban - not much other ' attractions' on your route unless you like scenery or wildlife.

By the way, make sure to fill your tank with red diesel before heading home - it's traditional, like having a sprig of heather on your pulpit if you round Ardnamuchan Point. ( which you won't unless you get lost)

BERT T

Visit site
Stops in Northern Ireland.

For wildlife stop in at Rathlin Island,( and see the only upside down lighthouse in the UK ) then round the coast past the famous Giants Causeway and a stop in Portrush which will have plenty of tourists. From there its a days sail to Islay and then up the sound of Jura.

awol

Visit site
It depends when you are doing the trip. There are music festivals on Colonsay, Jura, Barra, Lewis, Islay, Skye, Campbeltown etc. but not necessarily when you want to be there. Just google your likely stopping points for dates.

Quandary

Visit site
Touristy places with some night life close to or on your route
Dublin itself is the best by miles.
Bangor
Portrush *
Oban
Tobermory *
Fort Augustus ???
Inverness.
Town to avoid? Fortwilliam?
However none of them are anything like as exciting for a sailor as Strangford Narrows, Rathlin Sound. Mull of Kintyre, Lagavulin, Gigha, Sound of Islay, Colonsay. Corrievreckan (whirlpool), Sound of Luing , Cuan Sound, Falls of Lora, Kingairloch and Glencoe.
The hall on tiny Easdale Island used to occasionally host folk rock groups like the Sawdoctors in summer.

* short diversion involved

dt4134

Visit site
Not been into Belfast yet but have spoken to several people that have. Just radio the port up as you approach buoy 12. There's a pontoon in Abercorn Basin, apparently very cheap. It works a bit like a pay & display car park I understand.

It's pretty close to the city centre and is near to the new Titanic Quarter development.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
go up the Clyde and via the Crinan canal

Stop at Largs or Kip and send her to Glasgow for a day on the train

Bring her down a bit by stopping at Tarbert, Loch Fyne

Then detox her completely all the way to Inverness!

mdonnelly

Visit site
belfast

Belfast worth a visit. 2 hours from Bangor. Call harbour radio on 12 and ask permission to enter channel and then report when you are passing buoy 12. The Marina is currently £8 per day for vessels less than 40 feet and that includes water and shore power. Toilet and shower facilities are planned. In the Marina you are in the Titanic quarter of Belfast. The tender to the Titanic, the Nomadic, is within walking distance, as is the Thompson graving dock where the Titanic was fitted out. The new Titanic museum is also within walking distance but, I think, requires pre-booking. You are also beside the Oddysey complex that has some restaurants, a bar, cinema and bowling alley. Belfast city centre can be reached by walking or taxi.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
One of the highlights of my cruising career occurred at Bangor. We were walking out of the marina when a car stopped alongside us and the driver asked if we were looking for a good place to eat. When we said yes he offered to drive us to Royal Ulster Yacht Club, so we jumped in. It's only a short drive which you could walk in 20 minutes.

The clubhouse is an imposing old building, somewhat reminiscent of a gentleman's club inside. One room is set aside as a trophy cabinet for the Thomas Lipton Americas Cup campaigns, with trophies, flags, bits of boat, photographs, etc. We had a drink in the bar, then went in for our meal. Full silver service, fantastic views over the bay, lovely surroundings, and the cost was about the same as we would have paid at the local Chinese.

This was a long time ago, 1994(?), I hope it is still the same.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
I would second Macd with the Isle of Man, but don't just limit yourself to Peel, pop round the other side and visit Douglas as well. Cracking island, good vibe, good eating, drinking and plenty to do around town.

(So good that I visited once, and ended up staying and working there for Seven Years!)

Last edited:

ECLIPSE

Visit site
3RD FOR PEEL!
Super pint, smokehouse by the moorings , friendly club, excellent public transport to other parts of the island (bus/ steam train/ electric trams), basking sharks, beautiful island!

robinwr

Visit site
I'd recommend Strangford Lough - stop at Portaferry for the food in the Portaferry Hotel or Strangford for a drink in the Cuan. Within the lough you also have Killyleagh (Dufferin Arms) , Ringhaddy, Whiterock and Ballydorn (Balloo House or Daft Eddies).

I'd skip Bangor (although I agree with Vyv on RUYC and it hasn't changed much) and head for Belfast (much cheaper as Matt said) and pretty much in the centre of Titanic land with the new exhibition centre taking pride of place in the harbour. I'd also recommend Glenarm, Church Bay in Rathlin (the tapas in the Manor House are superb) and then Portrush (again Harbour Bar faultless - tobacco onions to die for). After that Scotland as others have recommended (Gigha and Islay not to be missed). If you do fancy Strangford pm me and we'll give you a tour.