Next years Marina charges

Kaste

Visit site
Just had our annual contract renewal bumph from MDL, and it has increased by 4.95% over this year. I am wondering if other forumites have had renewals from other operators, as IMO MDL are exploiting my loyalty.

david_steward

Visit site
Re: Only 2% increase for me!

At Rochester Cruising Club.

So now my fully serviced floating pontoon berth for a 46' Princess has risen to £985 for next year. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
And wodja get for it?

Another MDL servant with a 5% increase, but tell me:
My electricity supply isn't secure - nothing to stop the plug being pulled OR someone using my meter. How about yours?
Contribution from Trading Standards required please.

Yeah, should to be another thread . . . .

Phill

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

So now my fully serviced floating pontoon berth for a 46' Princess has risen to £985 for next year. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a "welcome to moor alongside" sticker in the window? If so, fenders out, Im on my way.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trying

Visit site
Boo!

Just trying to sort ours out for next year.

The boat is new to us this year so we are trying to move it slightly nearer to home.

At this rate it will be AT home on the trailer because our chosen marina seem to have a miraculous increase in metre rate when the boat gets over 8m LOA. Ours being just .2m over this seems to make a huge difference.

I always thought that the metre rate was just that multiplied by the length?

rickp

Visit site
My renewal quote is more than 3 times the price of an equally lovely marina in Holland - no wonder more and more folks are headed that way.

Rick

jcmmarine

Visit site
My club berth is less than 50 meters from a marina that, if I berthed there, would charge 4.67 times as much as I pay now.

What sort of profit are marinas making?

Hurricane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Double the rate of inflation, though it's been the same sort of increase for many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wooo - hold on.
I'm not defending MDL etc but dont believe the inflation figures you hear from the government. REAL inflation is MUCH greater than the government state. If this government doesnt like something they simply change the rules - and in the case of inflation, they simply dont count anything that makes the figures look bad.

IMO real inflation is running at around 7 or 8 percent - bad news if you are a pensioner relying on investments etc.

So MDL's 4.9% doesnt seem that bad - actually - IMO

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a "welcome to moor alongside" sticker in the window? If so, fenders out, Im on my way.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They are very welcoming and were tolerant towards my startlingly inept efforts to get alongside last August. Tenner a night for visitors and ther's a great Thai in town, and a very traditional sweetshop:)

Moody

Visit site
Yes but surely in this context they are saying that to maintain the same profit their cost base will increase by 4.9% next year.

Will they give their staff a 4.9% increase (I don't think so).
Will they give all their suppliers a 4.9% increase (I don't think so).

It says to me that demand for South Coast berths is outstripping supply and therefore they can apply more or less what they want.

I am in the process of negotiating next years rates with some of my customers, and if I even suggested 4.9% I would be shown the door.

Neil

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Generally a well run freehold marina will produce about a 40% trading profit to turnover ratio. The capital costs are high consequently you can expect high levels of debt as part of the business funding. This will result in fairly significant financing costs.

In overall asset yield terms the marina business has in recent years produced composite returns in line with the IPD Commercial property composite yield index.

The big advantage that marinas have is that the supply ~ demand imbalance remains very significant so owners can continue to push tariffs up to maintain yields. This is not the case in the general commercial property market - high rents leads to empty space. Until demand softens we will continue to see prices pushed ahead of inflation. The only significant factor which may soften demand for berths is red diesel abolition. We shall see.

rob