Newbie Sailor asks about Heads and outlet sizes

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Lack of space on the average cruising yacht might require a combination heads and bidet, with various user-programmable power settings from Day Skipper to Ocean. Blakes of Gosport ought to drag their Victorian appliances into the 21st century.
Looking more closely at the controls, the three middle buttons are fairly obvious, from the illustrations, but what about the big orange emergency button, is it possible for such devices to jam on full power? A fate worse than death..

View attachment 109642
My Japanese is basic and I am rubbish at kanji (Chinese characters) but as far as I can see the large buttons are labelled

"to", I expect from "tomeru", to turn off
"o-shiri", bottom or buttocks
"yawaraka", soft
"bide", bidet
[don't know the last]

and the two smaller buttons under them are labelled.

"moopu" or "moobu", neither of which is in my dictionary and
"massaaji", massage

Can't say it leaves me any wiser about what they all do, but Imagine that fitting one to a boat would enliven a dreary evening at anchor no end.

RupertW

Visit site
And I suppose that pumping the untreated contents of your stomach into the ocean in far greater quantities is perfectly acceptable is it?
Perhaps a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
Of course it’s fine pumping shit into the sea - it’s utterly natural. Chemical biocide is beyond wrong.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
And I suppose that pumping the untreated contents of your stomach into the ocean in far greater quantities is perfectly acceptable is it?
Perhaps a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
There are organisms in the sea that , left to themselves and undamaged by biocides, will happily consume and break down any random excrement they encounter.

rotrax

Visit site
But the smell comes from the seawater in the inlet pipe!

Read my posts - I know that!

Others have suggested it is not from decaying organisms in the seawater, but from fecal matter from the pump.

As my pump will have been immersed in white vinegar for as much as three months, I dont buy that.

The vinegar is used in food preservation and kills bacteria.

After five months living aboard the bowl of our heads has build up between the joints of the baseplate, pump mechanism and pan. Some of it brown coloured!

A few days immersed in white vinegar and a flush, it is as clean as a whistle.

And sweet smelling - the ONLY smell we get is after introducing seawater from the heads inlet after a lay up.

RJJ

Visit site
Your post might partly explain why people fall into the ”No loo roll” camp or not, and I’d never really thought about it that way before.

Our instructions to guests are crystal clear, “Loo roll and anything not eaten in the pedal bin. Only flush just enough to make everything cleanly disappear. Do not keep flushing.” And that’s because the most precious resource is the size of the holding tank, allowing a weeks stay in an anchorage not just a couple of days.

Without a holding tank to clog up and with lots of flushing for every bit of paper it’s completely different, but I guess you have to use marina loos.
Yep, we have never yet stayed put in an anchorage long enough to worry about the holding tank.

The copious flushing however is not about loo.roll but about removing any trace of weewee from the pipes. Weewee plus seawater is, they say, where the hard deposits come from. Plain seawater can get whiffy when stagnant but doesn't make the hard deposits on its own, so I read somewhere