New Turkey residence visa

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ok guys , may I please open a new can of worms , although we not plain to winter out in Turkey this year , I and I am sure many others are interested in the new regs which came into force in April 2014 and what is requirements one need to met to be able to get a 90 days permit and a one year residence permit and cost involved .
I would have through by now quite a few Liveaboard have arrived at the winter marina and have already sorted this out , so guys how did it go ? .
I have heard from some friends who have now decided to go else where so not to get involved with all the rigmarole .

www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

akyaka

Visit site
Essentially the process is similar to that in force before last April.Based on having a UK passport you have a right to spend up to 90 days in any 180 days counted backwards from your day of departure, just the same as Schengen rules for people from outside the EU/Schengen area; the period for people from other countries may vary.However you need permission to actually spend time in Turkey and this is done by obtaining an E visa which entitles you to spend time between the stated dates which are 180 days apart. Your entitlement is separate from and can overlap E visas.Currently if you wish to spend longer then you can enter on an E visa and then apply for a residency permit the maximum length of which is one year .The requirements and information required is essentially the same as previously ie, photos, tax number ( free), bank details showing self sufficiency ( approx 500 US$ per month equivalent),proof of address, copies of passport etc. The one major change is the requirement to have full in and out patient health insurance if you are below 65 and if this is from outside Turkey to have it translated and notorised and ensure that its clear that Turkey is covered. Travel insurance is only accepted for residences less than one year commonly 6 months. The ability to obtain a first time residency from within Turkey is a concession which may be withdrawn; the law actually says it shall be done from your country of origin, renewals can be done from inside Turkey.

As with many things this end of the Med the actual requirement can vary from office to office particularly as currently applications are being made through the foreigners department of the local police stations as before, but only until the new department which deals with such matters now have set up local offices.

Last edited:

halcyon

Visit site
Essentially the process is similar to that in force before last April.Based on having a UK passport you have a right to spend up to 90 days in any 180 days

Slight/ well big side track, last week SWMBO was asked to take her passport into school ( located in Cornwall ) the prove she is entitled to be classed as a British worker, she's only worked there for 10 years.

Brian

akyaka

Visit site
I can see why now people are not bothering to winter out in Turkey this year , I just glade we didn't pay a deposit . do you have to have an bank account , Heath ins, tax number , prof of adress for a 90 days visa ? Or is it just a matter of getting and E visa on line ?

There is no such thing as a 90 day visa , its a given as I said.The E visa is an entry visa obtained on line stating within a 180 day period when you can come and go to spend up to the available days and activated by first entry. You just need a valid passport and pay the equivalent of 20US$ if purchased on line or £20.00 if obtained at port of entry( countries other than UK may be different). They are not new and again as I said the procedure for obtaining residency is essentially the same as has been in place for some years.Cannot see how you can come to your conclusion that this year is vastly different to other years to the extent thatyou assert, certainly Yat Marina Marmaris happy hour seemed as busy as this time in previous years when we came out for the winter last week.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Good evening:

What evidence do you have that people are not bothering to winter in Turkey? Or are you assuming because you are not wintering in Turkey that this suggests others are not doing so?

Cheers

Squeaky
Good morning to you .
Not much Evidence I have to say but I have now heard from three people two who have already paid there deposit two who was on the way to Marmaris the other one to Fethiye . Yes that only three out of hundred that will be staying there this year , but on the other hand that's three that I know about , so I guess there a few more that was going to winter there and are not now Jack .

I not been to Turkey for over 13 years now and keep putting it of going back there , each year they seen to bring some new law out to put me off . I guess I not the only one .
Who knows maybe next year they will dump all there laws and I too will be heading that way

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There is no such thing as a 90 day visa , its a given as I said.The E visa is an entry visa obtained on line stating within a 180 day period when you can come and go to spend up to the available days and activated by first entry. You just need a valid passport and pay the equivalent of 20US$ if purchased on line or £20.00 if obtained at port of entry( countries other than UK may be different). They are not new and again as I said the procedure for obtaining residency is essentially the same as has been in place for some years.Cannot see how you can come to your conclusion that this year is vastly different to other years to the extent thatyou assert, certainly Yat Marina Marmaris happy hour seemed as busy as this time in previous years when we came out for the winter last week.

OHHHHH easy boy , off course Marmaris happy hour if as busy are years gone by and alway will be it one of the biggest Liveaboard marinas in the Med but that doesn't mean all the new laws on black and grey tank and well as all the requirement for long term staying in Turkey isn't putting people off , has I said three that I know off are now not going to winter out there , that without the 8 boats we met going back West that wintered out on Turkey last year and can't be bothered to go thought all the messing about to winter out there again .
I guess if you was only going to dump your boat and go back to where ever you come from , , it fine on an 90/180 E but if staying longer it a very different story , well as far as I am concern .
( 650 $ x 12 x 2 in an Turkey account , private insurance x2 another say 1000 pounds that's without all the other hoops ) just to spend the winter and a season sailing in Turkey , one May just as well spend the 90 days then head back west ,
One of the biggest different is the insurance .
Any way thanks for the info
I out here for an easier life ,

Www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
OHHHHH easy boy , off course Marmaris happy hour if as busy are years gone by and alway will be it one of the biggest Liveaboard marinas in the Med but that doesn't mean all the new laws on black and grey tank and well as all the requirement for long term staying in Turkey isn't putting people off , has I said three that I know off are now not going to winter out there , that without the 8 boats we met going back West that wintered out on Turkey last year and can't be bothered to go thought all the messing about to winter out there again .
I guess if you was only going to dump your boat and go back to where ever you come from , , it fine on an 90/180 E but if staying longer it a very different story , well as far as I am concern .
( 650 $ x 12 x 2 in an Turkey account , private insurance x2 another say 1000 pounds that's without all the other hoops ) just to spend the winter and a season sailing in Turkey , one May just as well spend the 90 days then head back west ,
One of the biggest different is the insurance .
Any way thanks for the info
I out here for an easier life ,

Www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

The rules in Turkey regarding staying 90 in 180 days are effectively identical to those that people from non Schengen/EU countries have to deal with in Europe and the beaucratic requirements(hoops) for staying longer are I would suggest no more onerous that other countries in Europe require of them.Yes there are many petty beaurocrats which can be frustrating but its not difficult to go with the flow when they ask for 7 photographs and not the 6 on the piece of paper and you have to go back and forth between 3/4 offices, but we did our last application in under a day. Don't know why you assume money has to be in a Turkish bank account or even in an account on day 1; all that is asked is a demonstration that you can support yourselves at the minimum wage levels through the period of your residency and that if from outside Turkey that a translation is provided whether that be bank account or demonstration of regular income such as a pension. A number of people seem to prefer listening to the rumour machine than reality; for example "It takes forever" I've been told - ours took 2 weeks from application to receipt from Ankara, "I cannot get insurance because I am 68" said another - well if 65 or over you do not need insurance to get a residency.

For the second time there is no such thing as a "90/180 E"

sailaboutvic

Visit site
For the second time there is no such thing as a "90/180 E"
Ok I am a bit lost here , is it or is it not that you have to have an E visa ?or as in the old days 10 pound for a sticker in the passport , Which intidel you to stay in Turkey for 90 days in any 180 days or have I got that wrong ?

"" you can get an e-Visa online before you travel through the official e-Visa website. An e-visa costs $20 and you can pay using a credit or debit card. You can apply up to 3 months in advance of your travel date. Turkish visit visas issued on arrival are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.""

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
Ok I am a bit lost here , is it or is it not that you have to have an E visa ?or as in the old days 10 pound for a sticker in the passport , Which intidel you to stay in Turkey for 90 days in any 180 days or have I got that wrong ?

"" you can get an e-Visa online before you travel through the official e-Visa website. An e-visa costs $20 and you can pay using a credit or debit card. You can apply up to 3 months in advance of your travel date. Turkish visit visas issued on arrival are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.""

Its a tortuous trail I admit to understanding and its all because of a court case in the EU on the interpretation of the Schengen rules which Turkey follows.For the explanation I assume you are British, although the same rules apply to many nations

First in your mind separate the 90 days from the E visa.

The Turkish Government lets Brits , and many other nations , spend up to 90 days in any 180 days counted backwards from your day of departure in Turkeyand you do not need a visa for this.However you cannot just choose to turn up at the border any time you want . You need a visa which defines the period within which you can make multiple entries , an E visa , which is why the E visa has both the first date you have chosen and another 180 days later when it runs out. The maximum you can stay during this 180 day period is as said in parenthesis is 90 days ( suspect you got that off the E visa website). However if you have had a previous E visa immediately prior to the current oneand towards the end of that visa period had spent time in Turkey then you need to consider the overriding rule of 90 days in any 180 period counted backwards from the day of departure as this can overlap visa. Still awake ?

A crude example , assuming all months are 30 days long, would be imagine you had an E visa from January to June this year ( 180 days , said it was crude). You spent April and May ( 60 days ) in Turkey. In August you intend to return to Turkey for August and September ( 60 days) on a new E visa. You can return to Turkey in August but counting 180 days backwards from end of September takes you to beginning of April and would mean that you would have spent 120 days in the previous 180 days inTurkey and you would have to cut short your visit and leave end of August ( 90 days), or ignore and on exit be fined and probably banned from re-entry for up to 5 years .

And for this convoluted 90 days in any 180 days counted backwards you have to thank that EU court case as this same method is applied throughout the Schengen countries and for people from outside the EU such as Americans there is the added complication that the 90 days is spread over all the Schengen countries they visit , not 90 days for Spain, 90 days for France etc. At least when they get to Turkeyand outside the Schengen area they can spend a whole 90 days in 180 days counted backwards in one country.

It is complicated and there are a number of calculators available to download although many which are based on excel do not allow for the fact that the day of arrival and day of departure are counted as two of your days.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Yes: get a residence permit (ikamet). The conditions are not onerous for liveaboards with a marina contract (which need not be annual). Nor is health insurance requirement if you've passed 65, as I did four weeks ago. Age has its compensations.

akyaka

Visit site
Ok that's seen to explain it all , thank god not very country in Europe Apply the rule ( yes Turkey not in Europe ) or we would be moving every 90 days .
I can see now why as I said before some are wintering out else where ,

Thanks for the info .

Yes but every country in Europe with the exception of UK, Ireland and a couple of others who have opted out of Schengen do apply it just not to members of EU. The sting in the tail for countries who have opted out of Schengen such as UK is that in 3 years after a recently signed agreement between EU and Turkey re illegal immigrants Schengen countries will not need a visa or residency to stay in Turkey

Excellent timing macd

dslittle

Visit site
Slight/ well big side track, last week SWMBO was asked to take her passport into school ( located in Cornwall ) the prove she is entitled to be classed as a British worker, she's only worked there for 10 years.

Brian

Staying with thread drift. Last week my bank asked me to provide proof of who I am - I have had an account with them since 1989!!!

lille_bee

Visit site
. Travel insurance is only accepted for residences less than one year commonly 6 months.

This could be of interest to me: I'm under 65 and would like to spend 5 and a half months in Turkey, without the hassle of buying yet another health insurance policy; any more info on this?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This could be of interest to me: I'm under 65 and would like to spend 5 and a half months in Turkey, without the hassle of buying yet another health insurance policy; any more info on this?

This is one of the problem , pants , want around 550 for a year Insurance which makes staying In Turkey for the winter expenses travel insureances are useless .

Then there the annual marina contract , althought I been told just the winter one would do the job , depend why you apply for the visa .

akyaka

Visit site

This is a very good Facebook group largely about residencies and has info on requirements for residencies less than 1 year and a very helpful advisor and despite its name many areas of Turkey are covered. Click "About" and " Invite by E mail" if not based in Turkey. Apparently the travel insurance does not even have to be for the whole of the period applied for, they send you a note with the ikamet reminding you that you need to extend, but who checks?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/544167955696716/

Sailaboutvic . Friends who have visited and had to use their travel insurance have had no problems and the hospitals here are excellent and efficient.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sailaboutvic . Friends who have visited and had to use their travel insurance have had no problems and the hospitals here are excellent and efficient.
Hi Akyaka
I think you may miss understood what I meant when I said "travel insurances are useless . "
I was talking about when applying for a residence one year visa , I understand that they won't except travel insurance . Or have I got that wrong .