New (to us) boat! SQ58

MapisM

Visit site
They were heading for Nice, I agree you would have thought they would have known it was coming and acted accordingly!!
Aha, that explains the route.
I must admit that I was being more suspicious, i.e. that the captain estimated the straight route W towards Gibraltar too risky for the conditions, and instead of staying put tried heading N and then follow a more coastal route from there.
A much longer alternative of course, but there must be a big pressure for reducing delays as much as possible, in commercial shipping... :ambivalence:

Btw, in the meantime I also had a look at the charts of the area where the ship was around 9am (not sure if local or UTC, but it doesn't make much difference), and the sea is around 500m deep.
Not that this is relevant for you of course, but it's a pity that nobody will ever be able to enjoy the boat at least as a diving spot...

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Wow, that's astonishing. So sorry to hear of this dustywings. Ok you're insured but the disappointment is huge.

I have often wondered about this and thought that the way yachts are attached sometimes wouldn't survive big waves sloshing across the deck. I have for my last couple of shippings insisted on a full single-structure cradle, not the usual separate chocks/blocks. But the most important factor is the captain taking shelter in a storm not battling on. I hope you get a fast settlement and can look for another boat soon, and I hope it's a sq58.

MrB

Visit site
Awful news, gutted for you. She did look quite exposed from the pics in post #1, you just don't expect it to happen.

Portofino

Visit site
wow. this is terrible news, aside from the money you are emotionally paid into this.

hope the path out is not too painful for you.
+1
The £ will sort itself out via the insurance , ,hope the captain followed standard operation procedures and “all risks “ actually means that .Ie the ins Co don,t go looking for cock offs ..

It’s the phaff and ball ache of having to redo the hunt / search / deal / closure - all over again.

Good luck with it all .
Porto

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Thanks, yes insurance is fine so should not be out of pocket, it's just the extreme disappointment!

dustywings, really really sorry to hear this. Nothing I can say except to hope that your insurance sorts this out quickly

dustywings

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their kind messages (and pm's), this forum is an amazing community. As I have been reminded it is only a boat but it was also a dream, of course there will be another one out there. I am assured the insurers will not quibble and I just hope it does not take too long to settle and I can start the search again!

Bouba

Visit site
The forum was out of service for a couple of hours, and during that time I went to check on my boat and then report it on MapisM’s new thread. And that’s where I read about Dustywings’s horrific loss. I’m kind of speechless and really only want to say that I really feel for you.

vas

Visit site
the only way I could think of easing the pain if it happened to me would be that at least it happened before all the work that you'd carry out in the UK, and NOT on the way back to the med with the boat ready to be enjoyed...

lame excuse I know but every bit helps :(

Eren

Visit site
Very very sorry for that...

Again just to ease the pain a bit, buying a boat is usually a very nice period, I hope the loss will be cashed quickly and you will be out for another nice period of searching/buying a boat.

Sishoe

www.indigofiresystems.com
Incredible, I'm absolutely gutted for you.

But my Targa 64 only came about after being gazumped by the vendor on a Phantom 48 i was about to complete on. my point being, you never know whats around the corner!!

johng39

Visit site
OMG, that is hideous news. I was happily reading this thread and then that email. It's already been said, but I am gutted for you.

Seriously though what was the captain thinking? 6m waves and conditions forecast well in advance. I hope they are adequately insured for your loss, so, so sorry ...

AllanG

Visit site
Very sorry to hear this news, and I'm gutted for you, but hope you can find a replacement boat quickly and without too much hassle.

As a matter of interest, do you know if any other boats were lost overboard, or was yours the only one on deck?

BruceK

Visit site
Jeez. Just read of your woes. My condolences. I hope this doesn't shatter your dreams and ambitions you had for getting her in the first instance.

MedMilo

Visit site
Hell's bells, how extraordinary that this has happened - can't believe the captain took on those seas on a relatively small ship that was pretty precariously loaded. Madness! So sorry for you but, as Sishoe says, something good may come of it - though that's of little comfort this afternoon for sure...