New (to us) boat! SQ58

jrudge

Visit site
Yes I do have sink at the bottom of the berth plus a loo under it. One of the other 58s we looked at had a freezer alongside the washer/dryer which would be useful so we may look to install one. As for the oven we were thinking that a more conventional oven would be better but thought we would see what the current one was like to live with first. Be interesting to see what you did.

It is a nice useful fit.

I have second fridge and one small and one very large storage which enables us to be at sea for days and cater. The kitchen has one small cupboard!

I have thought of doing the cabin fit but I could not really live without the storage. Kitchen floor is a wine store. I have 2 levels ( some ply) which adds capacity as well !

jfm

Visit site
I bought a new sharp one.

The challenge is that the sharp oven is 50 ish wide and a normal 60 ish. To change it you would have to change the unit and the drawer below and the adjoining panel which is the fridge. Not impossible ( but very tight I suspect) but you would need new matching panels etc
Thats not correct Jeremy. The standard Fairline carcass unit will take a standard width 60 cm domestic oven. I’ve done it in 2 sq58s. You have to steal 3cm of height from the drawer below but that’s easy enough.

dustywings

Visit site
It is with great sadness and huge huge disappointment that I must tell you I have just received the following email:

We have to bring you the very bad news that our Mv Deo Volente has lost the Fairline at 0900 hours this morning in bad weather conditions East of Corsica. The yacht has sunk almost immediately. At this moment the Captain is busy with fighting the weather. As soon as he has time he will come with a full report.

I am insured so financially not out of pocket but just absolutely devastated with this loss…speechless!

vas

Visit site
It is with great sadness and huge huge disappointment that I must tell you I have just received the following email:

We have to bring you the very bad news that our Mv Deo Volente has lost the Fairline at 0900 hours this morning in bad weather conditions East of Corsica. The yacht has sunk almost immediately. At this moment the Captain is busy with fighting the weather. As soon as he has time he will come with a full report.

I am insured so financially not out of pocket but just absolutely devastated with this loss…speechless!

WFT? are they joking?
hm just checked seaconditions report 5-6m waves, marinetraffic shows it passing though the worst bit at about that time...
Don't they tie them down properly???

commiserations, was really a lovely boat!

V.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
Sadly not!!!

following your post #46, I sincerely hope Marcus wasn't the one that suggested the shipping co :rolleyes:

on second thoughts, best it was loaded at the side and got lost rather than having just rolled onto the next one onboard and sustaining serious damage that you'd have to negotiate with insurance cos and still not have a boat...

great pitty

V.

MapisM

Visit site
Blimey DW, that's BEYOND speechless.
Not the end that such a fine vessel deserved, that's for sure.
Well, not the end that ANY vessel deserve, on 2nd thought.

I just had a look at the ship track, do you possibly know if their plan was for heading straight to Gibraltar, or to Genoa first?
I am wondering because they went through Messina Strait yesterday, and then headed NW towards Genoa, while the normal route to Gibraltar for ships coming from the Adriatic would be along the S side of Sicily.
Regardless, I can't help wondering why they didn't stay put somewhere along the N coast of Sicily, right after crossing Messina Strait, waiting for the worst weather to shift further N.
The southern F10 for today was in fact firmly predicted, and with a huge extension that didn't leave a lot of room for uncertainty.
By this morning, in that area, I would think that they must have dealt with 6/7m breaking waves, if not more...
Then again, hindsight is a great thing. :(

All the very best for finding an even better replacement!

Last edited:

NGM

Visit site
wow that's unbelievable, I also checked 6m waves

you would think given the cargo and it's fixings they would wait a day.

really sad news, you must be devastated

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

Bloody hell, that's gutting! Hope all turns out OK for you.

dustywings

Visit site
Blimey DW, that's BEYOND speechless.
Not the end that such a fine vessel deserved, that's for sure.
Well, not the end that ANY vessel deserve, on 2nd thought.

I just had a look at the ship track, do you possibly know if their plan was for heading straight to Gibraltar, or to Genoa first?
I am wondering because they went through Messina Strait yesterday, and then headed NW towards Genoa, while the normal route to Gibraltar for ships coming from the Adriatic would be along the S side of Sicily.
Regardless, I can't help wondering why they didn't stay put somewhere along the N coast of Sicily, right after crossing Messina Strait, waiting for the worst weather to shift further N.
The southern F10 for today was in fact firmly predicted, and with a huge extension that didn't leave a lot of room for uncertainty.
By this morning, in that area, I would think that they must have dealt with 6/7m breaking waves, if not more...
Then again, hindsight is a great thing. :(

All the very best for finding an even better replacement!

They were heading for Nice, I agree you would have thought they would have known it was coming and acted accordingly!!

z1ppy

Visit site
wow. this is terrible news, aside from the money you are emotionally paid into this.

hope the path out is not too painful for you.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

How may times did you have to read the email for it to sink in?!