New (to us) boat! SQ58

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I must say that if the photos are indicative of the condition of the boat as a whole, she looks to be in remarkably good condition for her age particularly for a Med based boat. You might expect some fading/milking of the high gloss woodwork from the Med sun but the photos seem to show there is little of that. The Sq58 is a very fine boat and it looks like you've bought a very good example. I also suspect that being in Croatia you probably didnt pay over the odds for her either. Well done!

dustywings

Visit site
Wow , congratulations thats a lovely looking boat . Must admit to admiring the 58 as they look to be a lot of boat for the money :cool:.Hope the delivery and refurb goes well and will be looking forward to seeing her filling up Newtown Creek :encouragement:. BTW did you view the one in southampton ?.

Thanks Andy, she is going to be in your marina so will hope to catch up with you there.

dustywings

Visit site
Sorry to hear that. All the best for a fast and full recover, and enjoy your new toy anyway, in the meantime.
Sometimes us Med boaters (many Brits included) tend to dismiss those who go boating much further North, but that's unquestionably much better than no boating at all - in fact, one of my most interesting boating experiences has been in Finland, no less! :encouragement:

Thanks and I agree, there is an appeal to familiar home waters to get used to the boat with too.

MedMilo

Visit site
Congratulations, one of the best boats Fairline ever built IMHO! Engine hours wouldn't worry me either, should be good for five or ten times that I'd guess though with the Mark 1 Sq 58's (with D12s) always important to verify that the valve clearances were checked at c800h. Sometimes missed because the floor needs to come up to get the rocker covers off. If for some reason they haven't been done then I think they ought to be checked this winter (though others might be more knowledgable and hence more relaxed on this point!). Have fun though, bomb-proof boat with fantastic handling and tonnes of great design features...

jfm

Visit site
Congratulations. Sq58 is an awesome boat - I bought 2!
Glad to hear you have mr Engel doing the fabric linings.
If you need other refit info just ask on here. Several of us have crawled in every space and know every nook and cranny
The D12 715 is a v nice engine imho. Those ones in your boat have the non floating valve rockers and as said above the clearances need doing at 800 or 1000 hrs. You have to lift two panels in the saloon floor, which you'll see if you lift the carpet and which is dead easy. Some yards think you must remove the saloon sofa but I assure you that you don't. Volvo paul has done it on my boat and we realised the sofa stays in. I have pics somewhere
The vacuflush loos are the work of the devil I'm afraid.
Those blue exterior halogen lights don't last long and you can't buy them. There is a hella led replacement that fits in same hole.
I see you have the extra Volvo square gauges fitted on the fly helm. These tell you fuel burn.
Super boat- best of luck with her.

Last edited:

dustywings

Visit site
Congratulations, one of the best boats Fairline ever built IMHO! Engine hours wouldn't worry me either, should be good for five or ten times that I'd guess though with the Mark 1 Sq 58's (with D12s) always important to verify that the valve clearances were checked at c800h. Sometimes missed because the floor needs to come up to get the rocker covers off. If for some reason they haven't been done then I think they ought to be checked this winter (though others might be more knowledgable and hence more relaxed on this point!). Have fun though, bomb-proof boat with fantastic handling and tonnes of great design features...

Thanks, I have invoices for all services but they are not detailed so will play safe and get them done anyway.

dustywings

Visit site
Congratulations. Sq58 is an awesome boat - I bought 2!
Glad to hear you have mr Engel doing the fabric linings.
If you need other refit info just ask on here. Several of us have crawled in every space and know every nook and cranny
The D12 715 is a v nice engine imho. Those ones in your boat have the non floating valve rockers and as said above the clearances need doing at 800 or 1000 hrs. You have to lift two panels in the saloon floor, which you'll see if you lift the carpet and which is dead easy. Some yards think you must remove the saloon sofa but I assure you that you don't. Volvo paul has done it on my boat and we realised the sofa stays in. I have pics somewhere
The vacuflush loos are the work of the devil I'm afraid.
Those blue exterior halogen lights don't last long and you can't buy them. There is a hella led replacement that fits in same hole.
I see you have the extra Volvo square gauges fitted on the fly helm. These tell you fuel burn.
Super boat- best of luck with her.

Thanks for the info, I am sure I will have many questions as I go along! I have already been in contact with Volvo Paul about another boat I looked at and will enlist his services for this one.

dustywings

Visit site
I must say that if the photos are indicative of the condition of the boat as a whole, she looks to be in remarkably good condition for her age particularly for a Med based boat. You might expect some fading/milking of the high gloss woodwork from the Med sun but the photos seem to show there is little of that. The Sq58 is a very fine boat and it looks like you've bought a very good example. I also suspect that being in Croatia you probably didnt pay over the odds for her either. Well done!

Thanks, yes the interior is surprisingly good which is due to some good screen covers I think. There are a couple of small patches of fading but nothing really noticeable. Prices in Croatia were better than elsewhere and I am certainly happy with the price I paid.

MapisM

Visit site
Blimey J, you obviously know the Sq58 like the back of your hand, but this is the only pic where the f/b helm is (barely) visible, as far as I can see.
Did you understand what sort of gauges are fitted just by their plastic borders... :confused:
_MG_1376_zpsuc5r0ffj.jpg

MapisM

Visit site
Aha, I see.
Interesting arrangement of the port guest cabin with a desk on the internal side. Was that a FL option, or retrofitted?

Dustywings, if you will ever find any practical use for that Ray430 loudhailer, I'd be interested to hear about it.
I've got the same in my boat, and I've yet to turn it on after more than one season and a half... :rolleyes:
Besides, you might consider replacing the lower part of those Separ filters with the transparent bowl available as an option - very handy for visual checks.

jfm

Visit site
Yup there are 100+ pics on brokers website.
The desk on internal side of port side double cabin is standard. It’s really nice. The s58 internal design relies on a very high walkway between saloon and helm, to create the brilliant utility room/5th cabin off the galley. This also creates the space/headroom for this desk. One of many brilliant bits of design on sq58.
Dusty wings you have the single cabin option in the utility room cabin. About a quarter of s58s were built with that. You have a basin at foot of bed with that option. On my second s58 I did a lot of refitting of this space. I had freezer, separate full size washing machine and tumble drier, techma loo and single bed. We have done same in A&Ks boat (poster on here) but added an additional oven. On both boats I added a proper oven in galley to replace the sharp microwave but that is quite a big job (regarding the cabinet work) and sometime I could make a post on how we did it.

dustywings

Visit site
Aha, I see.
Interesting arrangement of the port guest cabin with a desk on the internal side. Was that a FL option, or retrofitted?

Dustywings, if you will ever find any practical use for that Ray430 loudhailer, I'd be interested to hear about it.
I've got the same in my boat, and I've yet to turn it on after more than one season and a half... :rolleyes:
Besides, you might consider replacing the lower part of those Separ filters with the transparent bowl available as an option - very handy for visual checks.

Yes, I was wondering about the loudhailer!!! I agree about the clear bowls as I have them on my existing boat, simple job I am sure.

dustywings

Visit site
Yup there are 100+ pics on brokers website.
The desk on internal side of port side double cabin is standard. It’s really nice. The s58 internal design relies on a very high walkway between saloon and helm, to create the brilliant utility room/5th cabin off the galley. This also creates the space/headroom for this desk. One of many brilliant bits of design on sq58.
Dusty wings you have the single cabin option in the utility room cabin. About a quarter of s58s were built with that. You have a basin at foot of bed with that option. On my second s58 I did a lot of refitting of this space. I had freezer, separate full size washing machine and tumble drier, techma loo and single bed. We have done same in A&Ks boat (poster on here) but added an additional oven. On both boats I added a proper oven in galley to replace the sharp microwave but that is quite a big job (regarding the cabinet work) and sometime I could make a post on how we did it.

Yes I do have sink at the bottom of the berth plus a loo under it. One of the other 58s we looked at had a freezer alongside the washer/dryer which would be useful so we may look to install one. As for the oven we were thinking that a more conventional oven would be better but thought we would see what the current one was like to live with first. Be interesting to see what you did.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I agree about the clear bowls as I have them on my existing boat, simple job I am sure.
Indeed. This webpage gives you an overview of the configurations available for Separ filters.
Mine are exactly the same as in the pic at the top of the page, 'cept the vacuum gauge on the cover.
Which btw is another nice option, useful for spotting in advance when the filter begins to be clogged.
I might consider fitting it, in the future...

dustywings

Visit site
Indeed. This webpage gives you an overview of the configurations available for Separ filters.
Mine are exactly the same as in the pic at the top of the page, 'cept the vacuum gauge on the cover.
Which btw is another nice option, useful for spotting in advance when the filter begins to be clogged.
I might consider fitting it, in the future...

Many thanks...useful!

jrudge

Visit site
Yes I do have sink at the bottom of the berth plus a loo under it. One of the other 58s we looked at had a freezer alongside the washer/dryer which would be useful so we may look to install one. As for the oven we were thinking that a more conventional oven would be better but thought we would see what the current one was like to live with first. Be interesting to see what you did.
I bought a new sharp one.

The challenge is that the sharp oven is 50 ish wide and a normal 60 ish. To change it you would have to change the unit and the drawer below and the adjoining panel which is the fridge. Not impossible ( but very tight I suspect) but you would need new matching panels etc