New to sewing

Oldpete

Visit site
Good morning everyone,

I am a male pensioner and have been bought a singer promise machine, I have just bought some thread to try to make a extension to my swing canopy, but the tension doesn't pull the stitch straight.
Am I right in thinking that this machine will only work with cotton?.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Oldpete.

fredrussell

Visit site
Hi Pete, machine should work with any fabric, as long as it’s not too thick, and any normal thread type (cotton polyester or nylon etc) that will fit through needle eye. When you refer to “tension”, be aware that there are two thread tension adjustments available: one for the ‘above’ thread coming off the reel, and one for the bobbin thread. Both must be the same.

Martin_J

Visit site
First thoughts are that you need to double check the threading... Upper thread.
Make sure it's correctly through or over the upper take-up lever (part 7 below) and also hooked behind the hook at the top of the needle (near 13 below). Missing either of these will result in tension not being taken up.
Finally, if the foot is not lowered, the tension discs will not be closed but then you'd have more knots to worry about.
Not totally familiar with this particular model but if it's worked before then often a threading issue.

Screenshot_20210808-125956_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bigger machines will pull fabric through better.

PlankWalker

Visit site
Hi Oldpete and welcome to the forum
I don't know the the Singer Promise personally but all the Singer's are similar and tension is everything!
It should work fine with polyester thread, try some V69.
Start with the bottom bobbin tension and adjust the little screw in or out, so that when holding the thread,
the thread runs out when the bobbin is dropped but doesn't when held still.
Then do a trial bit of sewing and look at the tension top and bottom of the sewing.
adjust the top tension wheel until top and bottom tension is equal
Top thread may need adjustment on different thicknesses of material, bottom thread doesn't.

Martin_J

Visit site
Okay... Better perhaps a video showing the important bits of threading. Going around the bent piece of hook shaped metal on the top, then after going down and up the slots, it's got to hook over the take-up hook (or lever). That take up lever, when it rises is what pulls the tension into the stitch, against the friction between the hidden tension discs.
The video also clearly shows the hook at the top of the needle that some people miss.

Singer primose - Threading

Then, once the slack is generally taken up on each stitch, it looks like the upper tension dial is on the top of the machine for the actual tension adjustment. A lot of machines have this upper tension adjustment on the front!

Oldpete

Visit site
Thanks for all your help and advice, I have tried all these things that you have all been advising me to try, I have even got a old tee shirt and marked it in 5cm lines, I then started at the beginning with the top tension wheel on 0, then every time I come to a 5cm mark I change the tension wheel by moving it up to 1, then 2 and so on until I get to 9, but the result is still the same. This has been going on for the last 2/3 months now, so I think I will buy another machine while I'm still sane ?, if anyone can recommend a decent machine I would be grateful, then maybe I will get my mojo back ?.

Pete.

neil_s

Visit site
Something that foxed me for a while with my Jones machine - when you wrap the thread around the tensioner, make sure that it actually goes between the clamping plates. Give the foot lifter lever a quick flick upwards to separate the plates as you wrap.

fredrussell

Visit site
In addition to above advice, it often pays to pay a professional to service machine. Made a huge difference to my ancient Jones machine that was misbehaving. Best £75 I’ve spent.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks for all your help and advice, I have tried all these things that you have all been advising me to try, I have even got a old tee shirt and marked it in 5cm lines, I then started at the beginning with the top tension wheel on 0, then every time I come to a 5cm mark I change the tension wheel by moving it up to 1, then 2 and so on until I get to 9, but the result is still the same. This has been going on for the last 2/3 months now, so I think I will buy another machine while I'm still sane ?, if anyone can recommend a decent machine I would be grateful, then maybe I will get my mojo back ?.

Pete.

You will almost certainly have to adjust the bottom ( bobbin) tension if you are using thick thread

What Plankwalker says in #4 is spot on.

Your Singer is a relatively inexpensive machine .......... It's over 30 years since I last bought a sewing machine . That cost over £600 then and was by no means a high end purchase. It is very nice though. A Pfaff.

If you do decide to buy a different machine I'd recommend World of Sewing / Bromley Sewing Macines in Tunbridge Wells if you are near that area. ( Cheap Sewing Machines UK | Sewing Machine Sale | Sewing Supplies UK )

Oldpete

Visit site
Hi all,
I am blown away by the reply’s that I have received,
I have only just joined this forum, and compared to other forums that I have been on, this one is the best that I’ve ever used.
I will see if there’s any shops nearby to see if they can service my machine, my problem is that I am disabled and don’t get out very often, that’s why I thought it would be easier to buy another machine, but I will check out. Once again thank you to all of you for your messages.

I will let you know how I get on.

Pete.

bigwow

Visit site
It might be a good idea to join a local sewing group, the ladies will be only too pleased to pass on their skills.

Oldpete

Visit site
Hi bigwow,

that sounds like a good idea, I bought a box of feet (I think that’s what they are called), and when they arrived I just started to scratch my head as I haven’t got a clue. I did start to practice with a couple,but until I get the machine sorted out I will leave them alone.
Thanks again bigwow.

Pete.

savageseadog

Visit site
Needle size is important, whatever thread you use should fill about half the needle eye area. The thread should move freely through the eye without the needle being oversized.

VicS

Visit site
Needle size is important, whatever thread you use should fill about half the needle eye area. The thread should move freely through the eye without the needle being oversized.

There are many different types of needle too for different types of fabric.
Sharp pointed ones
ball point ones
chisel point ones

etc etc

Rappey

Visit site
I bought an industrial pfaff but had never used a machine before. I got shown how to route the thread to the needle and how to do the bobbin. Was shown it working and that was it.
Youtube showed me most of what I needed to know and Web sites were invaluable with pictures to identify Stitch problems and what to adjust.
I especially like the idea of being shown how to by the local sewing group. Great idea.
Could one get a home lesson ?

savageseadog

Visit site
There are many different types of needle too for different types of fabric.
Sharp pointed ones
ball point ones
chisel point ones

etc etc

Yes, I've a fair bit of experience of keeping machines sewing. I liken getting a sewing machine running properly to Salvador Dali's "Sleep". A multitude of adjustments, settings, thread, paths, tensions etc etc to get right. Every single item needs to be correct for the stitching to work properly.

andsarkit

Visit site
Sailrite is an American company that sells heavy duty sewing machines for marine use. Their website has lots of videos on how to do different projects.
https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Projects-Guides/type/Projects--AND--Tips?order=custitem_popularity
If you scroll down there are some videos on getting started and setting up the machine. You might have to adapt them to your machine but the basic principles are the same. It is a bit more oriented towards men and their sewing machines. (I have an old Singer as my wife won't let me use her good machine)

Rosa

Visit site
Using two different coloured threads can be helpful to identify if it's the top or bottom tension that's causing the problem.