New to Levington

shaunksb

Visit site
After spending far too long getting my Dufour 30 ship shape and Bristol Fashion we got her launched from Bradwell and made our way up to Levington at the bank holiday weekend.

My original plan was to spend a month or two there to salvage what was left of this season and head off to the Solent in the spring.

But we are very taken with Levington already. It seems a really nice spot.

Had a pootle in the river yesterday and picked up a mooring at Pin Mill overnight. Drifted up under the bridge to have a sniff at the lock gates of the town marinas today.

We’ve found the supermarkets, had Saturday nights diner in The Ship, and a take out from the sailing club. All very agreeable.

Any other tips and tricks?

shaunksb

Visit site
Welcome, which pontoon are you on?

We're halfway down F pontoon on the LHS.

The (excellent) abolutions block is just off the top of the gangway and there doesn't seem to be any parking issues, although we haven't figured how to get the barrier up yet if we come back after dark.

There seems to be a good range of services on site too as I need a rigger and someone who can do me a gelcoat repair so I'm hoping that can be done while we're there.

johnalison

Visit site
If you are not familiar with the area, Ipswich is worth a visit. The obvious weekend trips are Hamford Water/Stone Point and even the Deben if the tides suit. A lunch stop on Halfpenny Pier is easy and Pin Mill for its romance.

shaunksb

Visit site
If you are not familiar with the area, Ipswich is worth a visit. The obvious weekend trips are Hamford Water/Stone Point and even the Deben if the tides suit. A lunch stop on Halfpenny Pier is easy and Pin Mill for its romance.

Not familiar is an understatement.

But finding these new places is part of the fun.

Ive seen Halfpenny Pier on a webcam so we’ll give that a go.

shaunksb

Visit site
Get back down to the Blackwater and enjoy the river and various places to stop. Lots to do on the East Coast.

Yes there is.

I got a bit fed up with Burnham in my 24'er because it was such a slog getting either in or out or both and theres only so many times you can visit Fambridge. I liked the town though.

There seems a lot more "available" places from Levington.

And it's shaved nearly 45mins each way off my 400 mile round trip helped by the government investing in the Cambridge intersection project.

sailorman

Visit site
Yes there is.

I got a bit fed up with Burnham in my 24'er because it was such a slog getting either in or out or both and theres only so many times you can visit Fambridge. I liked the town though.

There seems a lot more "available" places from Levington.

And it's shaved nearly 45mins each way off my 400 mile round trip helped by the government investing in the Cambridge intersection project.

shaunksb

Visit site
Doesn’t matter who funded it. Cuts at least 20 mins. off my trip to the boat. Worth every penny of anybodies money.

I've also benefited from the new M1/M6/A14 Interchange and the new A50/M1 Interchange so managed a hat trick of major improvements.

On our way back after the Bank Holiday we managed the 197 miles from pulling away from the Marina Car park space to pulling in on our drive without stopping at all.