New to Levington

shaunksb

Visit site
Luckily you don't have to deal with the A12 and M25

I‘ve done six years of M1 with now it’s second 20mile stretch of roadworks, M25 and A12 and then on to Burnham or a Bradwell.

I can’t say I miss it...

Although to be fair I did use the train a lot to Burnham which was almost as fast and a lot more relaxing.

jimi

Visit site
We're at Levington, its lovely... only drawback is that its on the East Coast ;-) Just had lunch at the Ship Inn, well recommended

johnalison

Visit site
I‘ve done six years of M1 with now it’s second 20mile stretch of roadworks, M25 and A12 and then on to Burnham or a Bradwell.

I can’t say I miss it...

Although to be fair I did use the train a lot to Burnham which was almost as fast and a lot more relaxing.

You don't know how lucky you are. We had to drive to Heybridge from Hertfordshire. This meant going through connurbations at Barnet, Waltham Cross, Waltham Abbey, Theydon Bois, Epping, Chipping Ongar and Chelmsford. It might be two and a half hours or it might be four, with two children in the back of a car with no air-conditioning. Cue violins.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
You don't know how lucky you are. We had to drive to Heybridge from Hertfordshire. This meant going through connurbations at Barnet, Waltham Cross, Waltham Abbey, Theydon Bois, Epping, Chipping Ongar and Chelmsford. It might be two and a half hours or it might be four, with two children in the back of a car with no air-conditioning. Cue violins.
This thread is turning into a land cruise with all its mentions of motor flows and traffic hold(up) points.

Bob@SYH

Visit site
Dont forget that bloody level crossing. Some of those goods trains take minutes to clear!

Tell me about it!
Since they 'upgraded' it last year, what was about 45 seconds from close to open is now up to 6 minutes... it seems to take so long now that by the time it's opened after one train it closes again for the next.

Other than that, we hear good reports of the Mariners at Trimley

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Tell me about it!
Since they 'upgraded' it last year, what was about 45 seconds from close to open is now up to 6 minutes... it seems to take so long now that by the time it's opened after one train it closes again for the next.

That’s because they have doubled the number of trains because they have put in a passing loop, I believe.

johnalison

Visit site
That’s because they have doubled the number of trains because they have put in a passing loop, I believe.
There always was a passing-loop, so far as I remember. I last took the line circa 1972, and I'm sure we passed another train at the mid-point. When I say I'm sure, I mean that I sort of recall it. We had a tear in the genny from the radar reflector and I had to take the sail to Ipswich tp be repaired, for 5/-.

sailorman

Visit site
Tell me about it!

its all down to exporting mt containers from Felixstowe

Denek

Visit site
Levington is a great spot. Welcome. We are on a swinging mooring there but boats out now as we are leaving the country for a couple of months. So many places within easy ish reach.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Yes, you're right.

Once we've been through the menu at The Ship does anyone know of any other eateries within a reasonable distance?

The Alex, in Felixstowe (on the front) used to be OK.

On site services at Levington: I like the chandlery. Mister Stainless will do an outstanding job (and charge accordingly).

johnalison

Visit site

On site services at Levington: I like the chandlery. Mister Stainless will do an outstanding job (and charge accordingly).
The Alex was good a few years ago when we last went there. When I first went, it was about 1965 and it was very old-fashioned but cosy and we would go for fish & chips with my in-laws.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Mark has done some great work for us in the past and will do his very best to accomodate your requests.
Everything he did was completed to the spec requested.
You get what you pay for.

Was also very pleased with the work of Nigel / Rig Magic - though I gather he is no longer around.