New to boating, first time owner

Rareplank

Visit site
Hi all,

First post on the forum here. I'm looking to start boating, with a motor of course. I have some mild experience from my late teens (now 32) when my late father owned several motor yachts over the years. Some real beauties: Princess 42, 67, 68 & Sunseeker Predator 72.

I'm keen to get on the water with my own boat, nothing as crazy in terms of cost/size of the above though. I need to get myself brushed back up knowledge wise and I believe the RYA PB2 course is a good start, I'd also like to complete the day skipper course and Navigation course too.

Boat wise, I'm looking circa £200K, ideally new/nearly new. Usage case is a nice day boat that has some protection from the elements (looking to keep in the UK) with socailising areas and not just a "one trick pony" (eg just fast), having a cabin is nice and a decent heads compartment.

I'm based in Chester, so naturally North Wales seems a good spot (2hr drive) but I have no experience of the area. Most of my previous boating (with my dad) was done in Torquay and then the med (Antibes & Palma).

The below have caught my eye:

- Axopar 28 & 37 cabin
- Sazdor 320GTC (current fav)
- Dromeas D28 SUV
- De Antonio D28 Cruiser
- Flipper 900ST
- Cormate T28

I have toyed with the idea of something older and larger (Fairline 40, Princess 42 etc) but I'm not sure that would be the wisest move and also the running costs would be much steeper.

I've spent a good few weeks trawling the forum but its always good to hear off posters directly too. So any tips or advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks
Hi I have a few Saxdor 320’s in Southampton I have the open amd a cabin version if you want a good look around. We are also based in the marina in north wales and can assist with berthing

EricJ

Visit site
They’re lovely. Great package. Engine access is tricky but if you’re going to be paying someone to do the work for you then that’s not such an issue, unless it’s caused maintenance issues in the past.
Very interesting thread. I watched the video following your comments and indeed engine room of Sq42 looks tight. The Fairline Phantom 40 has lifting sections in the saloon floor but not sure if that one has more space overall. Same for Princess 42. Anyone any ideas about engine access of Phantom 40 and Princess 42 relative to Sq42?

nathwraith

Visit site
To update the thread I’ve been in contact with the dealer regarding the Squadron 42, it’s just a case of getting down to Brighton and having a look at her in the metal.

I have also signed up for several “nav at home” course to complete online including:

- RYA day skipper
- diesel engine course
- Basic theory

Struggling to get anyone in North Wales to reply to emails re PB2 courses so will be calling them up on Monday.

Boat wise, currently the squadron 42 is the favourite however I’ve got my eye on a Princess 42 and a Squadron 58 also. We shall see….

nathwraith

Visit site
Hi I have a few Saxdor 320’s in Southampton I have the open amd a cabin version if you want a good look around. We are also based in the marina in north wales and can assist with berthing
My boat criteria may have changed slightly from a Saxdor sized day boat now but can you still help with berthing in North Wales? PM me please.

Martxer

Visit site
To update the thread I’ve been in contact with the dealer regarding the Squadron 42, it’s just a case of getting down to Brighton and having a look at her in the metal.

I have also signed up for several “nav at home” course to complete online including:

- RYA day skipper
- diesel engine course
- Basic theory

Struggling to get anyone in North Wales to reply to emails re PB2 courses so will be calling them up on Monday.

Boat wise, currently the squadron 42 is the favourite however I’ve got my eye on a Princess 42 and a Squadron 58 also. We shall see….
I have had a look at that squadron 42 it’s a nice boat👍

Martxer

Visit site
I'd probably calling a Squadron 42 a "Yacht" 🤓
Mine is definitely a "Boat"

🚢 Quick summary

In casual use, the word boat is often used to refer to any watergoing vessel, regardless of its size or how it’s powered. However, large oceanfaring watercraft—those that use multiple sails or engines—are more properly called ships. In contrast, the word ship isn’t commonly applied to smaller craft. The word yacht is typically used to refer to any larger noncommercial vessel—one used for sailing or other recreation, as opposed to business.
A squadron 42 is deffo not a ship but could be a boat or a yacht depends where you get your definition from, if your floating your boating. Your definitely not sailing it unless you do as Seastoke has and add a mast.😂

terranova

Visit site
I’m also based near Chester and would recommend both Conwy and Deganwy marinas. Both are on opposite side of the river and a 10 minute drive apart. Either one will take you less than an hour to travel to and have plenty of nice places to visit around them (by sea and land).

The only real drawback is the tidal gate system at each marina which means that you can only go in and out of the marinas for around 3 hours either side of high water. I kept a number of boats in both marinas for several years and do so again if I ever had a boat in this country (my boat is in Italy now).

If you’re thinking about a 40ft + boat, the next closest marina that will accommodate you is Caernarfon, but there always used to be a long waiting list for a berth there. Again, they have a tidal gate system but you’re right on the Menai Straits.

Further down, you have Pwllheli which isn’t restricted by a tidal gate, but it’s an hour further and the traffic around there can be terrible. For a 40ft + boat, I would forget Abersoch and Porthmadog as your boat will be too big to keep there. Abersoch doesn‘t have an actual harbour/marina anyway.

nathwraith

Visit site
I’m also based near Chester and would recommend both Conwy and Deganwy marinas. Both are on opposite side of the river and a 10 minute drive apart. Either one will take you less than an hour to travel to and have plenty of nice places to visit around them (by sea and land).

The only real drawback is the tidal gate system at each marina which means that you can only go in and out of the marinas for around 3 hours either side of high water. I kept a number of boats in both marinas for several years and do so again if I ever had a boat in this country (my boat is in Italy now).

If you’re thinking about a 40ft + boat, the next closest marina that will accommodate you is Caernarfon, but there always used to be a long waiting list for a berth there. Again, they have a tidal gate system but you’re right on the Menai Straits.

Further down, you have Pwllheli which isn’t restricted by a tidal gate, but it’s an hour further and the traffic around there can be terrible. For a 40ft + boat, I would forget Abersoch and Porthmadog as your boat will be too big to keep there. Abersoch doesn‘t have an actual harbour/marina anyway.
Thanks for the info. I have applied for a berth at VIctoria dock and Conway. Conway is looking very likely after speaking to the Marina directly, they seem to have all the facilities covered too. (they said both 58 & 42 foot boats would be fine)

I'm booked with Seawake, based in Conway, to complete the PB2 course in Sept too.

I've started the RYA Day skipper online course which has been good fun! I need some rope to practise my knots at home though ;)

I'm trying to hold off pulling the trigger on a boat before I've been to the Southampton boat show, as no doubt I'll change my mind a million times!

Hopefully I can bag this Conway berth as it's one hour away from me, so will allow me to visit it much more frequently.

nathwraith

Visit site
Sounds good. Obviously the show is mostly about new boats but you should get a better idea of what you actually want. Especially the dayboat vs Flybridge debate.

Definitely. I’ve been known to be quite impulsive when shiny trinkets are presented to me so it could get dangerous.

Boat Shows are the cause of all the wrong decisions in life🥺

Haha

Parabolica

Visit site
Whilst boat shows are primarily for new boat sales, there are of course the brokers exhibiting in the halls and on stands too. But it is also well worth speaking to the new boat sales guys too as they may know of boats imminent to come to market or also some which they know if they can sell, will lead to a new boat sale they want to bag.

Either way you are hooked now and imminent to become much poorer very soon and with endless calls to spend more on this component and that component of which everything ends in three zero's but on those wonderful days when you are out there on the water and everything is simply perfect, you'll not regret a cent of it all.

This was us in Cabrera just this month. Finally, all was well with the world.

terranova

Visit site
Thanks for the info. I have applied for a berth at VIctoria dock and Conway. Conway is looking very likely after speaking to the Marina directly, they seem to have all the facilities covered too. (they said both 58 & 42 foot boats would be fine)

I'm booked with Seawake, based in Conway, to complete the PB2 course in Sept too.

I've started the RYA Day skipper online course which has been good fun! I need some rope to practise my knots at home though ;)

I'm trying to hold off pulling the trigger on a boat before I've been to the Southampton boat show, as no doubt I'll change my mind a million times!

Hopefully I can bag this Conway berth as it's one hour away from me, so will allow me to visit it much more frequently.
That’s good news. Conwy marina is nice and there’s plenty to do in the surrounding area for those days when you’re stuck in the marina.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the boat show in Southampton. There are plenty of things to consider when buying your first boat and taking your time over your purchase will hopefully pay dividends in the future. I didn’t take my time and ended up changing my boat for a ‘slightly bigger one’ 4 times in 6 years. I believe it’s called ‘foot disease’ in the boating world !