New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Visit site
I agree, but then I find the noise at night and pollution in the harbour completely ruins Symi. And waiting for someone to pull up your anchor at any moment... We much prefer the bus from Pethi.[/QUOTE

]One of my favourite Greek memories - floating in the shallows off Pethi beach in warm water, in the early morning.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
No noticeable change to date, except that the PP fill in an extra form and do not stamp the DEKPA every time. We pay at the same rate when asked, sit on the settee in a queue and watch the photocopying.

All changed in Allonisos (Sporades). It took 5 minutes. No photocopying what so ever, just one line on a form summarising name, length, number on board.
Checked Insurance,

Then he filled in the receipt - calculated on one day - €9.75.

He collects and gets the fees for every visiting boat, and is very polite.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
All changed in Allonisos (Sporades). It took 5 minutes. No photocopying what so ever, just one line on a form summarising name, length, number on board.
Checked Insurance,

Then he filled in the receipt - calculated on one day - €9.75.

He collects and gets the fees for every visiting boat, and is very polite.

Hopefully the new regime will slowly trickle outwards from Athens, reaching the Dodecanese ?????

Sybarite

Visit site
The French forum, STW (Sail The World) has officially lodged a complaint about Greek taxes to the European Commission and the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, Laurent Fabius, has been informed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I for one am please the French are not just accepting the tax and doing some thing , just goes to show that all we read about on this forum about the tax is legal and there nothing we can do about it other then accept it , is total rubbish . Words from people who only guess the law .
The question has to be asked , is it just the case that all the sailing associations that include the RYA which I am a member off and the CA who I am not a member off find it easier to accept it , then spend some of our cash to fight our case .

www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I wish I shared your conviction that the European Commission will charge into Greece with guns blazing to halt legislation that adversely affects a few yachties. If they do anything it might happen in ten years time. I have to assume they have more important things to concern themselves with.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I wish I shared your conviction that the European Commission will charge into Greece with guns blazing to halt legislation that adversely affects a few yachties. If they do anything it might happen in ten years time. I have to assume they have more important things to concern themselves with.

That's not the point , the point is , there a good chance Greece is breaking EU laws and all you read about is how they are not , if the people we pay money to to look after our interest just sit about and do nothing , very shortly there will be no where we can sail without paying large sums to sail there . You may be happy with that I for one am not .

Visit site
I for one am please the French are not just accepting the tax and doing some thing , just goes to show that all we read about on this forum about the tax is legal and there nothing we can do about it other then accept it , is total rubbish . Words from people who only guess the law .
The question has to be asked , is it just the case that all the sailing associations that include the RYA which I am a member off and the CA who I am not a member off find it easier to accept it , then spend some of our cash to fight our case .

It's just that some see themselves as philanthropic missionaries going forth and spreading gifts to those whom they perceive as needy but doing it with yours and my cash, Vic!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

And there is the possibility (probability?) that the EU will rule against STW's submission, making a clear precedent for other countries to impose similar taxes to Greece. If that happens we might ALL be worse off, even those of us who don't go anywhere near Greece!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
And there is the possibility (probability?) that the EU will rule against STW's submission, making a clear precedent for other countries to impose similar taxes to Greece. If that happens we might ALL be worse off, even those of us who don't go anywhere near Greece!

That may be the case , but if someone don't fight it , we never know . At less if they win it will put a stop to other country trying it on.
In case you don't know Greece is well known to breaking EU law .
Is seen the case you are making is that because you don't sail in them areas that we should just let Greece get on with it .
Well I also not sailing in Greece at the moment but I still feel I and others shouldn't be tax for sailing in another EU country no matter where it is .
If we all took the attitude that , I'm ok Jack , we be in a fine mess .

Just one last thing , if you did sail in Greece you would know , it's only an hand full of people , mostly on this forum tha think it ok for us to stand by and do nothing , which most of them are members of the boys club , everyone else are up in arms about it , including most of the Brits sailing in Greece

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
That may be the case , but if someone don't fight it , we never know . At less if they win it will put a stop to other country trying it on.
In case you don't know Greece is well known to breaking EU law .
Is seen the case you are making is that because you don't sail in them areas that we should just let Greece get on with it .
Well I also of sailing in Greece at the moment but I still feel I and others shouldn't be tax for sailing in another EU country no matter where it is .
If we all took the attitude that , I'm ok Jack , we be in a fine mess .

Just one last thing , of you did sail in Greece you would know , it's only an hand full of people , mostly on this forum tha think it ok for us to stand by and do nothing , everyone else are up in arms about it , including most of he Brits out there .
http://www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I'm sorry if I came across as "I'm all right Jack" - it wasn't intended. In fact I was thinking more of other Mediterranean countries feeling free to impose similar taxes if Greece's tax was "ratified" by the EU, which would widen the impact of the tax. I have no axe to grind; I think that the UK (where I sail) is very unlikely to impose any similar tax even if there was an EU precedent, and was making the point with other Mediterranean sailors in mind.

I don't think it is OK to "do nothing" - but equally, I'm not at all sure that a legal challenge is the way to do it. A legal challenge can only have one of two outcomes, and if unsuccessful means that there is no bargaining position left. As it is, there is bargaining space, which, as far as I can see, the CA is taking advantage of to gain concessions on existing taxes and procedures.

Of course IF the EU declares the tax to be illegal, then everyone is better off. But if it doesn't, many people could be worse off. And I, for one, would not be at all sure which way the EU would jump; the arguments made here on both sides are not persuasive either way, though the number of red-herrings people have introduced has blurred the issue considerably (for example, the International Law of the Sea is irrelevant; the waters concerned are "internal", except for passage through the Corinth Canal). Even if the EU declares it illegal, that might be many years down the line, and do you really expect Greece to repay the taxes it collected "illegally"?

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
" In fact I was thinking more of other Mediterranean countries feeling free to impose similar taxes if Greece's tax was "ratified" by the EU, which would widen the impact of the tax. "

Italy did try a few years back and there was such a stink about it from everyone i, that they dropped it . Or maybe they knew something Greece is yet to find out .
I don't have a problem paying a daily tax for Tourist , the same imposed on everyone , if they have a tent , caravan , or stayed in an hotel . But I do object to having to pay a yearly tax no matter how long I am in the country .
Next they will want 10% of my income .

RobbieW

Visit site
... But I do object to having to pay a yearly tax no matter how long I am in the country ...

You'll just have to get a slightly bigger boat then Vic, so you could pay monthly :)

iirc, wasnt there a Frenchman on here a while ago who outlined a complaint that made sense; that there already is a tax on any boat kept in France, the new Greek charge would be improper for an EU boat from any country which already makes a charge - this doesnt include UK.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You'll just have to get a slightly bigger boat then Vic, so you could pay monthly :)

iirc, wasnt there a Frenchman on here a while ago who outlined a complaint that made sense; that there already is a tax on any boat kept in France, the new Greek charge would be improper for an EU boat from any country which already makes a charge - this doesnt include UK.

There you go Robbie , another law broken , discrimination on size . :)
Hope you and J are enjoying Greece .
Croatia is turning out to be a lot more then we was expecting in every way .
We be back in Greece in sept if your about , before we sail off the Malta then Tunisia for the winter .

Last edited: