New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

macd

Visit site
Thanks, James & Jim.

I suppose it's no great surprise that the port police at Mithimna (Lesvos) didn't know that. I'd taken the trouble to check with the PP in Mitilini that I could clear out from Mithinma, and was assured that I could by what I presumed to be a fairly senior shirt, dripping as it was with scrambled egg. When I told them I'd no intention of going back to Mitilini, the Mithimna PP, whilst pleasant enough, pushed my documents back to me, saying "You haven't been here"...

I doubt I'll be the last to fall foul of the Greek 'talent' for disseminating information.

Last edited:

ostra4

Visit site
Re the new tax implementation :I have just obtained a DEKPA for our new to us boat from PP in Lefkas , as this is a large office I was expecting some mention by very helpful PP lady of the new tax but nothing mentioned whatsoever and I didn't ask either.Its becoming very late in the day now to ask for a full years tax from January so maybe the powers that be will wait till 2015.

Palarran

Visit site
And my son just finished with customs and port authority in Messolonghi. I just have to pay for the transit log tax as before. No other tax. It's still a lot due to the size of my boat - $1000 euro, but is the same as before. The new tax would have cost me around 1300 euro, so there won't be a big change.

[29051]

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has been into any of the Dodecanese ports since the rules changed ? It would be great not to have to enter and exit at Symi, but places like Nysiros seem to work on their own versions. It would be nice to be able to enter there or Tilos, as both have port police. If nothing else it would save the miles of walking in Symi.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We are in Kalymnos, where we have been told that the mayor has asked the PP to speed up the process and make things easier for yachties. A boat next but one from us has just come back from the office, €4.29 for 38 ft. We will go later when it cools off a bit.

In Nisyros in past years one PP was very officious, the other very relaxed. In Leros we obtained our only stamp so far, free but with the usual photocopying of everything. We didn't take our passports and got a grumpy face when we told him, but no problem. A friend went the previous day and had a far warmer reception, in and out in 5 minutes, also free.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
In Nisos Oinnoussa - near Chios, it was business as usual, full photo copy of everything Dekpa stamped - to all present - Get dekpa stamped once a month. 1 & 1/2 hours to start to finish!I gave the port police a copy of the M0S instructions to port police - he read them, and said his boss had said nothing about them!!

They were unbelievably slow - so thats my visit for the year....

affinite

Visit site
We are in Vlychada on Santorini. There is no Port Police here :) Only a 32Euro per night harbour fee :(

Yesterday in Amorgos it was also business as usual ie "please take your papers to PP to be stamped in/out". As that only involved a 3 metre walk I didn't object or pull out my copy of the new law. PS only took 10 minutes - sorry Chris

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
why are people pulling out copy of the new law and confronting the PP with it ? have you got spo much money that you cant wait to give it away ?
we back in Greece for a short while , I have got no intention of going to the PP let alone confronting them with some thing that hasn't happen yet or may never happen . or do you just want to be the first to say , I been taxed . only a brit would do such a thing and yes I am British .

[29051]

Visit site
why are people pulling out copy of the new law and confronting the PP with it ? have you got spo much money that you cant wait to give it away ?
we back in Greece for a short while , I have got no intention of going to the PP let alone confronting them with some thing that hasn't happen yet or may never happen . or do you just want to be the first to say , I been taxed . only a brit would do such a thing and yes I am British .

I don't think the tax law was what anyone was confronting them with. It is the bit stating that you can enter and exit Greece at any port which has port police, rather than needing a Port of a Entry. Also that the Dekra only needs stamping once per year.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The reason to go to the PP is twofold; 1) to pay for the harbour fees, 2) to get stamped in/out. The new law only makes point 2 obsolete, i.e. you still need to go to the PP to pay for your stay in the harbour/port.

That's what happened to us in Kalymnos. Paid €4.48, quite a bit of faffing about while a PP filled in his own form giving the same information that he could have photocopied from our DEKPA, but no stamp. However, it's only two weeks since our only stamp this year, so they may be working to last year's rules or this year's. Off to Nisiros soon, so then we may find out.

Visit site
That's what happened to us in Kalymnos. Paid €4.48, quite a bit of faffing about while a PP filled in his own form giving the same information that he could have photocopied from our DEKPA, but no stamp. However, it's only two weeks since our only stamp this year, so they may be working to last year's rules or this year's. Off to Nisiros soon, so then we may find out.

Nothing will change until the structure of the Greek Port Police service gets some uniformity of operation and modernisation (plus a good bit of inter-regional co-operation!).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Nothing will change until the structure of the Greek Port Police service gets some uniformity of operation and modernisation (plus a good bit of inter-regional co-operation!).

I'm certain you are correct. There is no uniformity even between islands in sight of each other. It's annoying for private sailors like ourselves but highly frustrating and expensive for the professionals.

Appleyard

Visit site
We were in Kalymnos a few days ago and were told ,same as Vyv that the mayor is anxious to attract yachts,and has told the pp to make things as easy as poss. Also chatting to one of the pp ,he said that they were not willing to implement any new tax ,and indeed were considering boycotting it,and that it is unlikely to be enforced in the forseeable future.
(I am only repeating what he said,before anyone starts a row.)
So far in one month in Greece we have only paid for mooring in Lakki marina.dinner has arrive d so must go.

[29051]

Visit site
Just for info Symi charged a friend with a 40' yacht €20 to go through Customs and two nights mooring for €26 plus the tying up fee €5, so €51 total for a 2 day visit. Tilos and Nisyros did nothing and charged nothing except €5 for electricity hook-up.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just for info Symi charged a friend with a 40' yacht €20 to go through Customs and two nights mooring for €26 plus the tying up fee €5, so €51 total for a 2 day visit. Tilos and Nisyros did nothing and charged nothing except €5 for electricity hook-up.
If he just went around the corner into the bay it would had cos. him nothing , it lot more quiet and the walk to the town would had done him good :)

[29051]

Visit site
I agree, but then I find the noise at night and pollution in the harbour completely ruins Symi. And waiting for someone to pull up your anchor at any moment... We much prefer the bus from Pethi.

BradleyC

Visit site
This is just a quick question but do the Greeks have to pay this tax as well, or does it only apply to boats coming into Greece?