New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Sounds like some good progress Jim.
Unsurprisingly, confusion still reigns on the ground :)
I was sent from Leros to Kos by PP last week to pay the 88 cents tax on my "putting the boat in the water fee"
Didnt mind as Kos was on the itinerary anyway and going into the Kos tax office with my €1 coin in-hand was quite amusing.

Kalymnos Port Police still had no knowledge about the new tax

Quite unbelievable that they required you to pay this! I cannot remember ever paying it, even in Prevesa - I was just never asked to pay. So at least by the time I get there in May this will be an obsolete law - but will anyone have told anyone about the change!

As to the Cruising tax - my contact in the Min of Shipping says that the MoFinance will start collecting in May, but the MoS doesn't know how yet. That was yesterday. The MoS is supposed to be the agency in charge of the collecting.

I think I will just avoid all contact this year with PP apart from the initial Dekpa stamp, and just sail in ignorant bliss.

affinite

Visit site
Quite unbelievable that they required you to pay this! I cannot remember ever paying it, even in Prevesa - I was just never asked to pay. So at least by the time I get there in May this will be an obsolete law - but will anyone have told anyone about the change!

As to the Cruising tax - my contact in the Min of Shipping says that the MoFinance will start collecting in May, but the MoS doesn't know how yet. That was yesterday. The MoS is supposed to be the agency in charge of the collecting.

I think I will just avoid all contact this year with PP apart from the initial Dekpa stamp, and just sail in ignorant bliss.

I actually tried to pay the 88 cents when I checked in to Kalymnos but the PP said to forget about it.
When I checked out from Kalymnos 5 days later the (different) PP girl said "why havent you paid this tax ?"
I was chilled out enough to just roll with it and go to the tax office in Kos
Thats why we love Greece isnt it Chris ;)

Glyka

Visit site
For those of you that may need it I have uploaded the circular that the ministry has sent to the PP offices and that clarifies the new law. I have highlighted (in red) the most common misunderstandings. No check-in check-out, no haul out - launch fee or declaration and no fishing permit. It is in docx but a pdf is also downloadable for those that have no MS office or compatible.

http://automaton.gr/Files/Law2014.docx
http://automaton.gr/Files/Law2014.pdf

Of course it is in Greek but the idea is that you print it and show it to the PP.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
For those of you that may need it I have uploaded the circular that the ministry has sent to the PP offices and that clarifies the new law. I have highlighted (in red) the most common misunderstandings. No check-in check-out, no haul out - launch fee or declaration and no fishing permit. It is in docx but a pdf is also downloadable for those that have no MS office or compatible.

Of course it is in Greek but the idea is that you print it and show it to the PP.

Thanks Glyka. Have printed it and hope we never have to show it!

Tis a shame they are still insisting on an up to date crew list to be presented at PP. (From our contact at the MoS) Or do you have a different view on this requirement?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I actually tried to pay the 88 cents when I checked in to Kalymnos but the PP said to forget about it.
When I checked out from Kalymnos 5 days later the (different) PP girl said "why havent you paid this tax ?"
I was chilled out enough to just roll with it and go to the tax office in Kos
Thats why we love Greece isnt it Chris ;)

Ha Ha - you've got t' laugh!

Tony Cross

Visit site

Thanks from me too. :)

Glyka

Visit site
Thanks Glyka. Have printed it and hope we never have to show it!

Tis a shame they are still insisting on an up to date crew list to be presented at PP. (From our contact at the MoS) Or do you have a different view on this requirement?

No, it is still required although not on a formal and stamped list. But please understand that in a place, on the borders of the Schengen area, that 'accepts' tens of thousands illegal immigrants annually (most of them by sea) a crew or passenger list makes sense (who is on your boat?).

Glyka

Visit site

Some advice:

Just print the first two pages, they should do.
More importantly, use it with a smile.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
No, it is still required although not on a formal and stamped list. But please understand that in a place, on the borders of the Schengen area, that 'accepts' tens of thousands illegal immigrants annually (most of them by sea) a crew or passenger list makes sense (who is on your boat?).

OK - I usually keep my crew list as part of my log book - which I presume is OK.

And yes - in Leros marina the harbour hosts one of the patrol boats which go out regularly to patrol. It is hard on Greece to shoulder this problem with little help from the EU.

Tony Cross

Visit site

I have an English translation of law 4256/2014 and Chapter H, Amended Provisions, Article 16 says, in sub-section 2a:

2. a. Paragraph 2.a of article 4 of Law 2575/1998 (A’23) is replaced as following:
“ 2.a) Trawlers up to 30 GRT, private pleasure yachts of any tonnage, professional pleasure yachts of total length up to twenty-four (24) meters and any other ship up to 25 GRT are relieved from the obligation to be supplied with a crew list.

Does that not make the crew list no longer required?

Glyka

Visit site
I have an English translation of law 4256/2014 and Chapter H, Amended Provisions, Article 16 says, in sub-section 2a:

Does that not make the crew list no longer required?

No matter what the law says, the PP rule according to the circulars they receive. The circular in question says that the crew list does not have to be stamped and that it can be altered during a charter. It obviously speaks about chartered boats but as it is not explicitly stated a PP officer may ask for it. Better have (or write) one than start a debate.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
No matter what the law says, the PP rule according to the circulars they receive. The circular in question says that the crew list does not have to be stamped and that it can be altered during a charter. It obviously speaks about chartered boats but as it is not explicitly stated a PP officer may ask for it. Better have (or write) one than start a debate.

Fair enough. Thanks for that. :)

jaba

Visit site
@Glyka (or to anybody else who can answer the questions ;-))

I have an old DEKPA (2012) with no exit stamp from Greece. Considering the circular you posted, do you think I can use it next summer to enter Greece (without problems with PP)?Moreover, do I have to show the Dekpa and have it stamped by the PP at my port of entry?
Or would it be better if I ask yhem for a new Dekpa (with all the fuss and the cost)?
Please, enlighten me (I am starting to feel confused)...
THKS

Chatelaine60

Visit site
We arrived in Chios last September from Turkey with an old DEKPA. PP stamped us into Greece with no questions and we stamped out again 3 weeks later on our return to Turkey. Having said that it depends entirely where you arrive to and who you get. We found differences between individuals within the PP office in Chios so its just the luck of the draw we think. Try the old one first maybe?