New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

MANDALA

Visit site
let's talk about :

“Dear Mr Miltiadis Varvitsiotis, I am enquiring on behalf of British Boats cruising in the Mediterranean about the effects of Article 13 of law 4211/2013.....<http://cruisingtips.net/mbc/?p=4567>

What's new?

Carmel2

Visit site
Well, back on track, for those who live aboard in Greece, the 1st is approaching ... has anyone been to the PP to pay........If so how did it go? Looking at the law as it stands if you turn up on the 2nd you're in for a fine..........are they closed around then?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Are you really on that much of an hurry to hand over you hard earned money to another country who decided out of the blue to tax everyone from every country just because they want to ?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Well, back on track, for those who live aboard in Greece, the 1st is approaching ... has anyone been to the PP to pay........If so how did it go? Looking at the law as it stands if you turn up on the 2nd you're in for a fine..........are they closed around then?

I know - you're in the red corner!

I have asked the minister for a written indemnity - amongst other things - as I will not get there till may. Just what madness they will implement is quite beyond the combined imagination of this forum!

Squeaky

Visit site
Are you really on that much of an hurry to hand over you hard earned money to another country who decided out of the blue to tax everyone from every country just because they want to ?

Good afternoon;
I don't think it is fair to claim that the law was passed "just because they wanted to" as it has been established that this tax originated with The Troika who insisted on further tax increases before releasing additional "bail out" funds.

Cheers

Squeaky

RupertW

Visit site
[/B]
Good afternoon;
I don't think it is fair to claim that the law was passed "just because they wanted to" as it has been established that this tax originated with The Troika who insisted on further tax increases before releasing additional "bail out" funds.

Cheers

Squeaky

Not quite - the Troika insisted on higher tax revenue and the Greeks have chosen to tax foreigners instead of actually paying taxes themselves. Every shop and restaurant swindles their own government by insisting on cash only, unless very swanky and recently tax inspectors have been chased out of a Cretan tourist town by asking for paperwork.

Greeks will point to every horrible new domestic tax whilst avoiding paying it.

So,we will be paying tax so the Greeks won't have to - don't blame the Troika.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Not quite - the Troika insisted on higher tax revenue and the Greeks have chosen to tax foreigners instead of actually paying taxes themselves
This tax raises far more from Greeks, who own/occupy/use a good 80% of the boat park.

Every shop and restaurant swindles their own government by insisting on cash only, unless very swanky and recently tax inspectors have been chased out of a Cretan tourist town by asking for paperwork.
Greeks will point to every horrible new domestic tax whilst avoiding paying it
You don't appear to have noticed the large change in behaviour over the last year. Receipts are now the norm, unless there's a power failure!

And property taxes are paid through electricity bills. If you don't pay them, you don't get electricity. Works wonders - especially when you're asked how you got the money to pay the backlogs of tax and your bank account shows no withdrawals.

Next steps are to get known backlogs of tax back from many companies - without bankrupting the profitable ones.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Not quite - the Troika insisted on higher tax revenue and the Greeks have chosen to tax foreigners instead of actually paying taxes themselves. Every shop and restaurant swindles their own government by insisting on cash only, unless very swanky and recently tax inspectors have been chased out of a Cretan tourist town by asking for paperwork.

Greeks will point to every horrible new domestic tax whilst avoiding paying it.

So,we will be paying tax so the Greeks won't have to - don't blame the Troika.

+1 IMHO they should not be raising new taxes, but cutting costs at home of their bloated state. MPs should be taking tax cuts if they have not already done so to set an example but pigs might grow wings - whether they will fly or not.... And they should make their existing taxes work, sort the cronic port dues system out, then most of us would pay them every time - and they would end up with more income.

It is so disgraceful to be asking us to pay the taxes the Greeks clearly wont pay. UK is not bailing them out - but we are in fact with the regional stability funds - 4 new motorways have been given the go ahead - that's our money. But what about the A303 for Christsakes.... .

RupertW

Visit site
This tax raises far more from Greeks, who own/occupy/use a good 80% of the boat park.

You don't appear to have noticed the large change in behaviour over the last year. Receipts are now the norm, unless there's a power failure!

Fair points but I saw no receipts in Corfu this Autumn and certainly no working card readers. The tills often had post it notes over the customer display so the amount could not be seen, and when I did glance the amounts were well below what they actually charged. If I see a change towards honesty next year I promise to change my opinion.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Fair points but I saw no receipts in Corfu this Autumn and certainly no working card readers. The tills often had post it notes over the customer display so the amount could not be seen, and when I did glance the amounts were well below what they actually charged. If I see a change towards honesty next year I promise to change my opinion.

Where was this? Not seen of this behaviour in Corfu town nor up here in the north west. As mentioned, receipts are the norm now. Still mostly a cash economy, though. Very few places accept cards.

As for this being a way of taxing tourists, I really don't think it is. It's a way of taxing the numerous Greek boat owners who register their boats abroad to avoid paying their taxes. Unfortunately, we Johnny Foreigners get caught in the crossfire. What really needs to happen is for the Greek government to overhaul their tax system and get everyone paying their taxes as they should. But until they introduce laws to allow inspectors to audit people, people aren't going to pay tax if they can get away with it. But of course, the politicians don't want that, they might have to start paying tax!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it's going to cost me twice as much why wouldn't I? I take it you like paying more than you need to.

NO ... that's why I cleared out and won't be going back until this mess is sorted out .
people keep harping on that this tax is for the Greek boat owner who won't pay their taxes , for god sake wake up ! I an sure a few thousand boat owners haven't brought Greece to its Knees , it about getting more taxes from out siders to sort out the mess the Greek have put them selfs in, if it was about getting taxes from Greek boat owners who boat are reg out side Greece , how hard would be to past a law that says if you are a Greek national who own a boat no matter where it is registered you have to pay a yearly tax , if their can past this law , it wouldn't be hard to pass a different law . they did it in Italy .

Carmel2 if you read my other posting you will see it people like your self who I feel for the most for because you haven't had to chance to clear out if you want to , as for every one who seen to think this tax is fine , well then what you moaning about pay it and stay or do as others are doing and vote with your keel .

In my view if their really wanted to get more revenues it would be fairer to put an tax on harbour dues and marina fees and then make an effort to collets it , that way their would still get taxes from the Greeks that have BIG boat registered else where as most of them don't leave marina and when they do it off to another harbour or town wall . But that would mean the PP would have to do some work .
What this tax is ? It's a tourist tax for boat owners who want to sail in Greece , one has to wonder what the out come would be if their taxed every tourist that flys into Greece or fly over Greek air space , because basely that what they are doing to people who are just sailing through Greek waters .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just one question to people who think this tax is fine , will it also be fine for England to put an yearly tax on the French , German and Dutch boat owners who sail over for some weeks or months sailing in England , and the French German and Dutch to do the same to the British , I think then there would be an out cry , or are now going to tell me that's not the same

Appleyard

Visit site
Just one question to people who think this tax is fine , will it also be fine for England to put an yearly tax on the French , German and Dutch boat owners who sail over for some weeks or months sailing in England , and the French German and Dutch to do the same to the British , I think then there would be an out cry , or are now going to tell me that's not the same
Surely The answer in that case would be to bypass England and sail in Scotland and Ireland.?

For the record,we are based in Turkey ,and will probably ..and grudgingly..pay.(under 12m luckily) as we spend much of the summer in Greece

Last edited: