New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
I was discussing the new tax for Greek boats today with our accountant as we received a letter from the Greek Yacht Owners Association with the details of what we'll have to pay. Although the tax law for Greek flagged boats has not been officially passed yet either, it seems pretty inevitable that it will. The tax for Greek private yachts is at exactly the same rate as the proposed tax for foreign flagged boats, but we will get a 50% reduction for commercially licenced boats. By the way the tax is to the nearest metre, so if you're 13.8 you pay for 14 metres.

We will apparently get a tax demand at the end of each year from the tax office in the same way that we get a demand for car tax, and it will be paid at a bank in the same way, although it looks as if the first demand won't come until the New Year as the law has not been finally approved.

I asked our accountant what he thought would happen with the similar law affecting foreign flagged boats. He's of the opinion that it won't get finally passed as it may be against international shipping law. He says that they are only really interested in trying to tax the biggest foreign boats with Greek owners. They have tried to find a way of doing this a couple of times but it is always opposed and he still doesn't think it will go through.

So it looks as though only Greek flagged boats may be taxed in the near future and the rest of you can probably relax ...

Glyka

Visit site
I was discussing the new tax for Greek boats today with our accountant as we received a letter from the Greek Yacht Owners Association with the details of what we'll have to pay. Although the tax law for Greek flagged boats has not been officially passed yet either, it seems pretty inevitable that it will. The tax for Greek private yachts is at exactly the same rate as the proposed tax for foreign flagged boats, but we will get a 50% reduction for commercially licenced boats. By the way the tax is to the nearest metre, so if you're 13.8 you pay for 14 metres.

We will apparently get a tax demand at the end of each year from the tax office in the same way that we get a demand for car tax, and it will be paid at a bank in the same way, although it looks as if the first demand won't come until the New Year as the law has not been finally approved.

I asked our accountant what he thought would happen with the similar law affecting foreign flagged boats. He's of the opinion that it won't get finally passed as it may be against international shipping law. He says that they are only really interested in trying to tax the biggest foreign boats with Greek owners. They have tried to find a way of doing this a couple of times but it is always opposed and he still doesn't think it will go through.

So it looks as though only Greek flagged boats may be taxed in the near future and the rest of you can probably relax ...
Your accountant is not a lawyer apparently...
OTOH there is plenty of them in the parliament's legal department that check every law before it is passed for voting.

cmedsailor

Visit site
Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi Jim, I'm not questioning your source of information. But today I have been talking to the Greek manager of Athenian Yachts about the tax implication to his company. He says there is no worry at the moment because the law has not been passed (gazetted) yet.
I wonder if you could please clarify where it says that the law has been passed other than the CA page as for me there is an obvious confliction here.

I agree that the law has not been gazzetted but has been passed by the house. The one that has is the budget (on 8th Dec). This falls (strangely) under the:
Ratification of the Act with "Arrangements for the treatment of highly urgent
and unforeseen needs "Greek Defence Systems SA" "and other provisions

So although it was voted through the house, it still needs to be Gazetted.

So there is a chance yet of it not being around...... Fingers crossed, but I hope they actually make up their mind before the money flowing into the islands is reduced by cost savings and boats leaving - which may have been all for nothing.

I love this bit of the translation
Three. Where ships d of parain paragraph 2 of this permanently docked in the Greek garden planted with trees Territory, a discount of thirty percent(30%).

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
These are minutes, not the official gazette.

From the official Minutes of the AG, 20 November 2013, Sittings of the House, in which passed the following bill: Ratification of the Act with "Arrangements for the treatment of highly urgent and unforeseen needs "Greek Defence Systems SA" "and other provisions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glyka

Visit site
The link I posted above quite clearly states that it was passed in November. Original in Greek here if preferred http://perivolos.gr/img/e84848120190a8d0e696fbeb15647a74PSIFISTHEN_EAS.pdf.

These are the minutes so they contain any last minute changes. It states clearly:
Up to 12m: No discount, no monthly payment.
12+ : 30% discount if permanently based in Greece, monthly payment possible. What "pemanently based" consists of, will be defined/clarified by the ministries involved.
In both cases, any boat that is sailing, moored or anchored in Greek waters and hasn't payed the tax, will be fined with an additional 100% of the tax, no discounts applied.

My English is not as good as my Greek, but I hope that you get the idea.

P.S. My past experience says that 10.01m is above 10m. - no nearest meter rule applies. What's more, the law about small crafts clearly states so.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
From the official Minutes of the AG, 20 November 2013, Sittings of the House, in which passed the following bill: Ratification of the Act with "Arrangements for the treatment of highly urgent and unforeseen needs "Greek Defence Systems SA" "and other provisions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed but not yet gazetted see article 14
Article fourteenth
Entry into force
This Act shall take effect upon publication in the Journal Gazette

Glyka

Visit site
All laws have to be gazetted (and do so) in order to be valid, beacause you are not supposed to know what happens in the Parliament daily but you are supposed to read the official gazette.

cmedsailor

Visit site
All laws have to be gazetted (and do so) in order to be valid, beacause you are not supposed to know what happens in the Parliament daily but you are supposed to read the official gazette.

http://www.et.gr/
I suppose this is the place to keep an eye. I have ckecked but didn't see anything yet. If I am missing something (hopefully not) or you see it coming let us know.
Thanks

Glyka

Visit site
http://www.et.gr/
I suppose this is the place to keep an eye. I have ckecked but didn't see anything yet. If I am missing something (hopefully not) or you see it coming let us know.
Thanks

As to when it will be published, it depends on many things. The National Budget for example, has passed yesterday and was printed today!
I 'm afraid that it won't be long as other, more urgent, issues are dealt with in the same law and AFAIK laws are published in the whole (I may be wrong though).

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
post #151 has details of what looks like a page or set of pages from the Greek government gazette. My understanding is that this has been passed into law.

Whether or not anyone knows about it is irrelevant.

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
post #151 has details of what looks like a page or set of pages from the Greek government gazette. My understanding is that this has been passed into law.

Pay attention at the back there!!!

see post 569. Yes - law has been voted on but it has not been gazetted or published yet. Until it is - its just a memorandum that has been voted on - apparently..

Glyka

Visit site

No, the official Gazette is where cmedsailor says it is: www.et.gr and until it is printed there it has no validity.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Pay attention at the back there!!!

see post 569. Yes - law has been voted on but it has not been gazetted or published yet. Until it is - its just a memorandum that has been voted on - apparently..

After a couple of hundred posts of sniping and off topic slanging at each other by the usual suspects I almost lost the will to live, let alone follow to post 569! :)

If all that's required is printing what has been voted on then no doubt there will be some impact. Still I'm selling up so guess I can relax about it all!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
After a couple of hundred posts of sniping and off topic slanging at each other by the usual suspects I almost lost the will to live, let alone follow to post 569! :)

If all that's required is printing what has been voted on then no doubt there will be some impact. Still I'm selling up so guess I can relax about it all!
Good luck with the sale - good that its under 12 meters!

grumpygit

Visit site
The link I posted above quite clearly states that it was passed in November. Original in Greek here if preferred http://perivolos.gr/img/e84848120190a8d0e696fbeb15647a74PSIFISTHEN_EAS.pdf.

I find it very strange that the Athenian Yachts manager and Melody's accountant who are both well versed Greeks in the sailing environment do agree that the law has not been passed and stamped. The last law even got into the legislation hand books that the Port Police have in their offices and it just did not happen. I have a South African friend who contacted his maritime lawyer in Athens over a week ago and nothing has been made law was the reply. At this moment I'm going to be an optimist . . . Time to sit back with a glass in hand and chill.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I find it very strange that the Athenian Yachts manager and Melody's accountant who are both well versed Greeks in the sailing environment do agree that the law has not been passed and stamped. The last law even got into the legislation hand books that the Port Police have in their offices and it just did not happen. I have a South African friend who contacted his maritime lawyer in Athens over a week ago and nothing has been made law was the reply. At this moment I'm going to be an optimist . . . Time to sit back with a glass in hand and chill.

I hope you are correct. The CA info is 'and gazetted as A 256 of 28th November.'