New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
I have not come across any variation in port fees, for a 15m yacht is give or take a few cents is €5 for port entry and €7 for the night and €7 for each extra night. I believe sailing school boats and charter boats are classed as commercial and only gets charged about a third of what we liveaboards get charged.
Interestingly we were in the NE Aegean this summer and in most ports water and electric was included, this was a great surprise and appreciated
I also have been told that if a town key does not have services for water or electric no charge should be made,but I've never put it to test.
As for the tax law being Gazetted I very much doubt this will be done before the first of January, they are to busy arguing over other issues. If it has not been gazetted don't pay.

As you may well know Jordan is a close friend of the Port Police captain, He told me that the actual Port of Aegina is outside the harbour and legally there should be no charge on the town quay

grumpygit

Visit site
As you may well know Jordan is a close friend of the Port Police captain, He told me that the actual Port of Aegina is outside the harbour and legally there should be no charge on the town quay

Yes I have been told many times that Aigina is not a legal port. I would have thought with your flamboyant manner you would have put it to the test by now Bob.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have not come across any variation in port fees, for a 15m yacht is give or take a few cents is €5 for port entry and €7 for the night and €7 for each extra night. I believe sailing school boats and charter boats are classed as commercial and only gets charged about a third of what we liveaboards get charged.
Interestingly we were in the NE Aegean this summer and in most ports water and electric was included, this was a great surprise and appreciated
I also have been told that if a town key does not have services for water or electric no charge should be made,but I've never put it to test.
As for the tax law being Gazetted I very much doubt this will be done before the first of January, they are to busy arguing over other issues. If it has not been gazetted don't pay.

Well my experience is not as yours. The Ionian seemed to consistently charge midnight to midnight so 2 days charges for 1 night, which I understand is the correct way of charging. So all my initial charges were for about €26. Did I just have bad luck or what? We were stuck in Vathi (Ithaca) for 3 days in Thunderstorms. I did a survey of what everyone had paid on day one, the highest charge was €9 - local boats charter and greek flag private as low as €2. I went in next morning - the British boat in front was charged €26 and so was I. Different guy apparently.

If they collected the proper charge then I suspect many would go else where. I just wish there was some consistency but thats the pleasure of Greece!

We will be in NE East Aegean next summer - thats the plan - so happy to hear of your experience there.

Visit site
Yes, it has been gazetted. http://www.cruising.org.uk/node/22634
has been updated.
Thanks Jim but the formatting of the blue background on Chrome is messing it up.

You also say:

4. It is likely that implementation of this tax will lead to questions about how much time you spend in Greece. People planning to spend more than 182 days per 365 days in Greece are, by EU definition, tax residents of Greece. We strongly recommend that potential Greek tax residents review the following effects:
a) the need to make tax returns
b) the need to prove you are importing money into a Greek bank account
c) the fact that valuable assets (such as a boat) are taxable above certain thresholds

So what in reality will be the effects and what do we do. We need a lot more help and details on this one. I can't find it on the CA site - surprise, surprise!

Last edited:

Marsupial

Visit site
OK so now we know there will be a law about "taxes" and boats in Greece.

The Americans have a wonderful phrase for this behavior, "nickle and diming" - get as much as you can from anyone.

However the situations is becoming more confused as I read through the CA advice.

I can understand why a boat in Greek waters could be subjected to some sort of tax, its a legal entity, but I am unable to understand why the owner possibly a person normally resident in another country - "home land" needs to file tax returns in Greece. They seem to have lost the plot there a bit.

What about innocent passage? no mention of that anywhere so if I am bound for the UK from Turkey am I able to stop in a Greek port to refuel and re vital the ship without paying a years tax? seems a bit harsh, if I have to just to stay one night.

We always prepare for "eventualities" and to that end I have now made a passage plan with fuel and food requirements that will take me from Turkey to Malta without a stop in Greece.

Don't think the fat lady has started to sing on this yet, in fact they're still playing the overture.

Visit site
If your first port of call in Greece is a small island with no tax office maybe you don't have to pay the tax.

EDIT
: but all Ports of Entry will I suppose have a Tax office which may be miles away.

So passage plan on that basis.

Last edited:

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
What about innocent passage? no mention of that anywhere so if I am bound for the UK from Turkey am I able to stop in a Greek port to refuel and re vital the ship without paying a years tax? seems a bit harsh, if I have to just to stay one night.
'Twas ever so in Croatia. One year's fees and taxes (not calandar year as now in Greece but 12 months) for touching land there. For the 'jes passing thru' it was totally unfair but never raised the furore that has been seen here.

Marsupial

Visit site
Quite, and look at what happened to Croatia - the charter fleets moved out overnight.

These EU definitions make me smile - I don't spend 182 days per 365 in ANY single country so where am I tax resident? rhetorical question the answer is the UK my homeland - but I do pay tax in Turkey AND the UK. How about a Brit in Greece with NO Greek bank account who stays for 183 days and his boat is there all year? Tax the boat and shoot the owner with the blessing of the EU mandarins? Madness.

The tax going to die, but it will be a lingering death.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
'Twas ever so in Croatia. One year's fees and taxes (not calandar year as now in Greece but 12 months) for touching land there. For the 'jes passing thru' it was totally unfair but never raised the furore that has been seen here.

I think there maybe quite a few people who choose Greece as a sailing area ,because it was a low cost area and budgeted accordingly .This extra amount may make it unaffordable for some.
The extra 25 euro a week will not affect me to much as I am able to afford it .But there are lots who may leave or never arrive, because of this un-balanced tax.

And as Steve has said if they collected from their own ,there would be little or no need for this Tax

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Saving Money

In order to stay in Greece sailing (or to stay sailing at all) I have now rejigged my costs for next year.

I will not renew after June this year my marina contract with Leros, and have moved to the Yard that hauls out for storage - lifting out in July and October. This will save me €900 and I will still have the use of Lakki Marina (OK -it much inferior to Evros).

This is €900 lost to the Leros economy.

Next job might be to knock 4 inches off my boat! actually quite easy to do on the MCA SSR registration:p

People will be quite resourceful at saving money. I have now saved what I need to be within budget.

Marsupial

Visit site
I don't think the Charter fleets moved overnight at all. The majority of yachts we saw in Croatia this year were mainly charter yachts but the lack of live-aboard type sailors was impressive !

They did leave overnight but that was a few years ago, the rules changed and some returned, those are the ones you saw.

grumpygit

Visit site
Yes, it has been gazetted. http://www.cruising.org.uk/node/22634
has been updated.

Hi Jim, I'm not questioning your source of information. But today I have been talking to the Greek manager of Athenian Yachts about the tax implication to his company. He says there is no worry at the moment because the law has not been passed (gazetted) yet.
I wonder if you could please clarify where it says that the law has been passed other than the CA page as for me there is an obvious confliction here.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hi Jim, I'm not questioning your source of information. But today I have been talking to the Greek manager of Athenian Yachts about the tax implication to his company. He says there is no worry at the moment because the law has not been passed (gazetted) yet.
I wonder if you could please clarify where it says that the law has been passed other than the CA page as for me there is an obvious confliction here.

Google translate version http://translate.google.com/transla...8120190a8d0e696fbeb15647a74PSIFISTHEN_EAS.pdf

Our part starts bottom of page 5.