New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
I don't suppose we could get some clarification on the boundaries?
According to the CA website, it's
7m - 8m €200

8m – 10m €300

10m – 12m €400

Over 12m €100/metre

So, for a 10m boat, which is what we have, is it €300 or €400? I really hope they've clearly defined this, otherwise it will fall down to the tax collector and won't be applied evenly.
Non, no, no. A 10m boat is actually a 9.950m boat. Surely.

Davy_S

Visit site
Compare yourself with the Greek who grows olives on the mountainside. He needs a big 4 x 4 pick-up in order to harvest his crop. His road tax for the coming year is 1,320 Euros plus he will have a "luxury tax" to pay on the pick-up. His pick-up is not a luxury, without it he could not work the land. All this is despite the fact that the olive crop this winter is almost non existant. Is it any wonder that the suicide rate is sky rocketing?
I am sorry but you are wrong! To own a pick up he has to register a business, as an Olive grower he will receive a subsidy dependant on how many trees he has, he and farmers pay 90 euros tax for their pickups, that's all! why do you think so many part time farmers drive around in a fancy pickup with stainless bullbars and all the trimmings, if they have a couple of trees and a few sheep they cheat the system and register, it has its merits!

maby

Visit site
I live on Aegina .when talking to Greek friends they point out that the bail out was not to save Greece ,but German banks.

So why did they vote for a government that wanted to keep them in the EU? If Germany is funding their economy, Germany has the right to tell them how to run the country.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
So why did they vote for a government that wanted to keep them in the EU? If Germany is funding their economy, Germany has the right to tell them how to run the country.

If Germany paid Greece what it owes after the War .Greece would not need a bail out. And since when has Germany,the right to tell another sovereign state what to do?

maby

Visit site
If Germany paid Greece what it owes after the War .Greece would not need a bail out. And since when has Germany,the right to tell another sovereign state what to do?

When you accept a massive loan, you accept the strings attached. I agree that Germany was let off far too lightly after the two wars they started in less than fifty years, but that is not the reason why Greece is in the mess it's in now.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com

Spoken like a true believer. Germany lost two wars but won the peace on the back of the US Marshal Plan and then massive NATO led investment in infrastructure during the 60's and 70's. If Greece defaults the Euro will be a very sick currency so Germany has to keep Greece afloat. So who has the power? The German led Troika desperate to keep the Euro stable or the Greeks who have the power to rip the heart out of the Federal EU dream. Go Greece!

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
When you accept a massive loan, you accept the strings attached. I agree that Germany was let off far too lightly after the two wars they started in less than fifty years, but that is not the reason why Greece is in the mess it's in now.

They accepted a massive loan to pay back Germany`s banks.It was a way for Mrs Merkle to subsidise /bail out German banks in trouble. IMO it would have been better for Greece to have defaulted on the debt.

I doubt that a cent of this new Tax will help re -build Greece ,but it will help Germany

Last edited:

Retired in Crete

Visit site
I am sorry but you are wrong! To own a pick up he has to register a business, as an Olive grower he will receive a subsidy dependant on how many trees he has, he and farmers pay 90 euros tax for their pickups, that's all!

Please complete my education by posting a link to this legislation re the 90 Euros tax. (In Greek will be fine.)

I am aware of the subsidy for trees.

Thanks in advance

John

maby

Visit site
They accepted a massive loan to pay back Germany`s banks.It was a way for Mrs Merkle to subsidise /bail out German banks in trouble. IMO it would have been better for Greece to have defaulted on the debt.

We are in agreement there - they were always free to leave the euro, or even the EU - they should have done so - in fact they never should have been allowed to join. The only way that the euro can survive is with almost complete political union - some members have accepted that quietly, Greece has had it forced upon them. The euro is dominated by Germany and France - others that want to stick with it will have to learn to be German.

charles_reed

Visit site
The solution is relatively simple, as any student of Economic History knows. The Greeks should have the courage to dump the Euro and re institute the drachma and default on their Euro loans. To expect a population to suffer endless deprivation to maintain debts their corrupt and incompetent leaders have saddled them with is a recipe for social and economic collapse. I find it ironic that the country which suffered the penalties of the Versailles Treaty of 1918 which led to Germany's social and economic collapse and ultimately the rise of Hitler is now doing the same to Greece. Hence the sudden rise of fascism in Athens.
With the Drachma they can structure their society however they like, all they have to do is work out how to pay for it.
This would be a cold Turkey remedy as no further borrowing would be possible and the government would have to adopt self help, reconstructive programmes along the lines suggested by the Troika, but they would be Greek programmes, for Greeks and by Greeks. And what they would not do is introduce taxes and fees guaranteed to pi*s off tourists and boat owners. They understand the principles of a Geese and golden eggs.

In other words get everyone to accept a one-off drop in their standard of living - whilst the Greek elite with their London pads and Luxembourg accounts continue to enjoy their Greek estates.
A sudden, short, sharp nasty shock. What would be the result - a resumption of the 3000 year tradition of exporting people - mainly to the more economically competent EC states, Australia, the US (nearly all the Greeks I know have a family member of the diaspora in those countries). Just imagine the howls from our Steve and others of his ilk in Deutschland, Nederlanden....
I suspect that, as much as anything else, the probable resultant social unrest, leading to anarchy, was the main reason the EC went along with bailing them out.
One day, someone in Greece will have to bite the bullet and recognise that the state has taken on unmanageable obligations. Let's hope he has the silver tongue of Demosthenes without his crazy, populist ideas.

I appreciate those who are wondering what the damage will be to their pockets - questions yet to be answered..

Of course there is the matter of the Greek bullion reserves appropriated by the Reichsbank, I guess the German economic miracle would turn out to be pretty hollow if the current government were asked to cough up what their predecessors had stolen. Here's a fly-on-the-wall-eye view:-

http://www.uek.ch/en/publikationen1997-2000/dec97-e.pdf

Last edited:

grafozz

Visit site
Please complete my education by posting a link to this legislation re the 90 Euros tax. (In Greek will be fine.)

Thanks in advance

John

I cant show the legislation but also know this to be true ,
when I looked into buying a Greek van here ,the dealer confirmed that he road tax (last year ) was 85 euros p.a.

but there is a further complication ,
in order to own and run a commercial vehicle in Greece it is required that you have a registered business .
If you have a registered business then you will be sent a tax demand based on the government/ tax office estimated turnover
whether you have made any income or not , it is a crippling system for the farmers / fishermen .
they pay their taxes, indirectly .

grafozz

Visit site
Oh , and here are the road tax rates for 2013 , going up for 2014

From 51 onwards up to 300 cc 22 euro

From 301 onwards up to 785 cc 55 euro

Of 786 cc up to 1071 cc 120 euro

From 1071 onwards up to 1357 cc 135 euro

From 1358 onwards up to 1548 cc 240 euro

From 1549 onwards up to 1738 cc 265 euro

From 1739 onwards up to 1928 cc 300 euro

From 1929 onwards up to 2357 cc 660 euro

From 2358 onwards up to 3000 cc 880 euro

From 3001 onwards up to 4000 cc 1100 EUR

From 4001 onwards and over 1320 euro

maby

Visit site
In other words get everyone to accept a one-off drop in their standard of living - whilst the Greek elite with their London pads and Luxembourg accounts continue to enjoy their Greek estates.
A sudden, short, sharp nasty shock. What would be the result - a resumption of the 3000 year tradition of exporting people - mainly to the more economically competent EC states, Australia, the US (nearly all the Greeks I know have a family member of the diaspora in those countries). Just imagine the howls from our Steve and others of his ilk in Deutschland, Nederlanden....
I suspect that, as much as anything else, the probable resultant social unrest, leading to anarchy, was the main reason the EC went along with bailing them out.
One day, someone in Greece will have to bite the bullet and recognise that the state has taken on unmanageable obligations. Let's hope he has the silver tongue of Demosthenes without his crazy, populist ideas.

I appreciate those who are wondering what the damage will be to their pockets - questions yet to be answered..

Of course there is the matter of the Greek bullion reserves appropriated by the Reichsbank, I guess the German economic miracle would turn out to be pretty hollow if the current government were asked to cough up what their predecessors had stolen. Here's a fly-on-the-wall-eye view:-

http://www.uek.ch/en/publikationen1997-2000/dec97-e.pdf

You could blame Germany's past sins if the situation in Greece was a static thing dating back sixty years - but it isn't. They had been managing reasonably well till they joined the euro - at which point the inherent weaknesses of their economical and political systems were laid bare. I agree that Germany should have been held far more accountable for all they did over the last hundred years but even if we had somehow forced them to simply bail Greece out with no strings attached and no repayments, the current Greek economic and political system functioning within the EU would simply have frittered it all away within a few tens of years and they would be back to the current situation. They function as a third world country but want to join the first world club - it will not work.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I think you have to put this into perspective. By Greek standards you are rich, after all you have a 13.7 m yacht! If you were a Greek taxpayer they would assume that your income was in the region of 30,000 Euros per year and tax you accordingly. If you declared less than this they would argue that you must have this income to afford the boat.

Compare yourself with the Greek who grows olives on the mountainside. He needs a big 4 x 4 pick-up in order to harvest his crop. His road tax for the coming year is 1,320 Euros plus he will have a "luxury tax" to pay on the pick-up. His pick-up is not a luxury, without it he could not work the land. All this is despite the fact that the olive crop this winter is almost non existant. Is it any wonder that the suicide rate is sky rocketing?

Compared with what the Greeks are currently suffering at the hands of the Troika the cruising tax is not such a bad deal! You have the luxury of going elsewhere, a choice the olive farmer does not have!

John

I understand that a yacht is considered a luxury in Greece and is taxed as such. But that assumes that the yacht is a "toy", in addition to the house or apartment that you own or rent. I don't have a problem with that sort of luxury being taxed and I doubt many others do either. But the situation for a great many liveaboards is that the boat is their principal home and, in many cases, the only asset they own. It is thus not a luxury but a necessity, identical in that sense to a house or apartment. The fact that we chose to spend (say) €100,000 on a yacht instead of on a house should not make the yacht an automatic luxury.

As far as the boat tax is concerned I have stated several times that I am prepared to pay a tax for being in Greek waters, my argument is with the rate. €1370 for occupying a hole in the water is not good value. So instead of gaining €600 or €700 each year (which I am prepared to pay) they risk loosing that and all the other indirect taxes I pay should I decide to leave.

I have a great deal of sympathy with the average Greek and the tax burden they are under, but the situation Greece is in is neither of my making nor under my control, so I don't see why my situation should be compared with that of an olive farmer. He/she is the one responsible for electing the succession of governments who have collectively created the mess Greece is in.

maby

Visit site
Ultimately, they are entitled to put any tax they want onto anyone in the country - EU rules just say that they have to treat everyone - both Greek residents and other EU citizens - the same. The only potential fault I can see in what they are reported to be planning is the short notice which makes it difficult for people with their boats there to get them out without incurring a whole year of tax. If you are able to escape, you really don't have anything to complain about.

charles_reed

Visit site
Grafozz,

What's so different from Road Fund Tax in UK? Top rates in Greece are in fact lower.

Admittedly the UK rates are based upon pollution effect and not bare engine capacity.

Don't lets weep too much for the Greeks - they're only just beginning to enjoy the rates of taxation that we have in N Europe. Admittedly their lower productivity and the regressive nature of their tax systems squeeze the lower income groups far more than the upper ones - and it's a big change from the heady days of entry to the € when generous State benefits and payrolls were paid by unsustainable borrowing on the open market.

Davy_S

Visit site

Thanks in advance

John
I cannot post you a link, nor am I wasting my time searching around for one. You live on Crete, simply ask one of your Greek friends, they Should tell you the truth! Regarding the car tax rates that have been posted, for cars that are paying 600 euros and over a separate wealth tax has been added for last year plus this year as well, bringing the total to 1300 euros or over depending on engine size.
I know you did not post the car tax John.

In my case, Noddy cars rule!

Retired in Crete

Visit site
But the situation for a great many liveaboards is that the boat is their principal home and, in many cases, the only asset they own. It is thus not a luxury but a necessity, identical in that sense to a house or apartment.

So you could equate your cruising tax to the property tax and just think of the savings you have made. I will happily pay your cruising tax for you if you will pay my property taxes!

As far as the boat tax is concerned I have stated several times that I am prepared to pay a tax for being in Greek waters, my argument is with the rate. €1370 for occupying a hole in the water is not good value.

I am happy to be proved wrong but I doubt if the marina fees you pay plus the cruising tax would get you a hole in the water in a marina in the Solent. In total costs a marina berth in Crete is still good value compared to the UK and the sunshine is provided free of charge!

I have a great deal of sympathy with the average Greek and the tax burden they are under, but the situation Greece is in is neither of my making nor under my control, so I don't see why my situation should be compared with that of an olive farmer. He/she is the one responsible for electing the succession of governments who have collectively created the mess Greece is in.

Tony, I know that you have a great deal of sympathy with the average Greek, and I am not having a go at you personally because I am in the same situation except that I pay property taxes as well. Just like you, the situation Greece is in is neither of my making nor under my control. I pay all the new taxes yet have no vote in the government elections! What happened to no taxation without representation, or is that just an American concept? However I do not blame the Greeks for the current situation re taxes, they have just been well stuffed by the Troika. Your, and my, situation have been made far worse by the British governments policy of printing money. When I moved to Greece in 2005 a Euro cost sixty four pence. Today it is more like ninety two pence, i.e. quantitive easing has lowered my income by 33%!! I am sure it has affected yours the same.

Like you I despair that the Greek population continue to re-elect the same lot of failed crooked politicians but other than elect thugs and loonies what choice do they have? Until "none of the above" is an option on ballot papers nothing will change. The same situation applies in the UK!

John