New SAR Sikorski S92 Extreme Downdraft?

TSB240

Visit site
I have heard of an incidence of the new SAR chopper causing some alarm amongst the coastguard community by unexpectedly knocking them off their feet in a coastal rescue situation.

This is probably not a good idea at the top of a cliff!

Are there any of that community on here that can comment on the difference between the new red devils and the old yellow budgies?

Have or should operating procedures be changed because of this?

Should the WAFI's be concerned?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The S92 is some 4 tonnes heavier than the S61n which it is replacing and the rotor diameter is smaller, so I would think that the downdraft will be somewhat faster to support the additional weight with smaller rotor. I would hope that training would be put in place for CG shore bad teams to allow them to become familiar with the different characteristics of the aircraft. As far as winch rescues from sailing vessels, I don't think you'll notice much difference. The major problem I encountered on the one time I was involved in such an incident is the noise rather than the downdraft and I doubt that that has changed much.

bikedaft

Visit site
more downdraft, but not a problem as long as you are expecting it. they winch from higher etc to cater for this. noise is less. huge inside