New ovnis

D

Deleted member 36384

It is quite an ugly yacht and an interior that is not pleasing to the eye at all. The photographs are ****, smudges all over the stainless steel fridge door, galley sinks that could do with a wipe. Also what's with the crowd control bar length galley - certainly function over form. Not for me.

D

Deleted member 36384

This is the new generation of yacht that attract young families. I like it

True, the only modern wide bum boat I have sailed was the Bavaria 45 Cruiser (with two families) and her layout is similar but far more pleasing to the eye I thought. The big cockpits are great, we sailed along with 7 round the table while having a full evening meal, wonderful space.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2012/Bavaria-45-Cruiser-2409949/United-Kingdom#.VYafE1zv9SV

Last edited by a moderator:

Tranona

Visit site
Would guess that the people with the money to buy that sort of boat find it appealing, which is all that matters. successful builders build boats that appeal to buyers - not to those that are not in a position to buy. However, Ovni have recently failed as a business and been rescued, so maybe not enough buyers found them sufficiently appealing!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Having see at least a couple of dozen Ovnis on our long distance travels it doesn't look much different just bigger and the interior looks much the same as any 50 footer I've sailed or been on. Not cheap but great long distance boats, some good friends had a 40 footer.

Resolution

Visit site
Ovnis are nothing if not distinctive and Out here in the Eastern Med I envy the advantages of the stern arch. The interior on this one would be much fresher in a hot climate than our traditional dark wood interiors. Having said which I thought the chart table seating arrangement awful for a boat this size, and this is where liveaboard skippers usually spend serious amounts of time.
By coincidence we have both an Amel and an Ovni berthed in our ( very small) Marina for now. With a new Hanse in between! Takes all sorts.

nathanlee

Visit site
What an awful interior for a long distance boat.

What an awful interior regardless. Awful hull too. I agree with the OP, the older ovni's were quite attractive but that's a right mess. I fear an interior designer has been near that. Perhaps the hull is by Ikea?

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
What an awful interior regardless. Awful hull too. I agree with the OP, the older ovni's were quite attractive but that's a right mess. I fear an interior designer has been near that. Perhaps the hull is by Ikea?

Depends if you like an interior that looks like the inside of a coffin or not. If the boat has an AVS which is an improvement on their 'traditional' models (and funnily enough I seem to recall seeing some data suggesting it is by some way), then I'll take it.

doug748

Visit site

pvb

Visit site
Much of the rest looks like the company could be in its death throes.

It went into liquidation about 2 years ago, but was taken over by a group of local entrepreneurs and has dramatically reduced its sales forecasts to a more realistic level. So not in its death throes at the moment. I've always admired the quirkiness of Ovnis, and the apparent build quality. The Evo 52 has a fresh modern interior - you may not like it, but I'd imagine a lot of youngish potential buyers think it's appropriate.

roblpm

Visit site
Would be interesting to know if they have actually sold any. I follow RM yachts on Facebook and they definitely seem to be selling high 10s of yachts a year. I wonder what the figures are for rustler, gt etc over here?!

pvb

Visit site
I follow RM yachts on Facebook and they definitely seem to be selling high 10s of yachts a year. I wonder what the figures are for rustler, gt etc over here?!

And the RM range is equally extreme in appearance, with very modern interiors just like the Ovni Evo 52 - a result, no doubt, of Marc Lombard's involvement in both. Rustler are probably selling steadily, small numbers, high value. GT Yachts are probably effectively dead in the water.

haydude

Visit site
I have always been a big fan of ovni but really struggling with the new ones. Seem very boxy with travelodge interior. Am I alone in this?
http://m.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2015-alubat-ovni-52-evolution-united-states-yw2615723

Not my kind of yacth, too ikea syle. You can't even use conventional copper based antifoul with Ovnis.

And I would be frightened to go anywhere near a marina with an aluminium boat when I hear tragic saildrive stories and keels getting end to end holes because the occasional wire with dodgy isolation ends in the water. Simply the opposite of a peace-of-mind nice white plastic boat.

Last edited:

wklein

Visit site
Seems most of you are of a similar mind to me took me a little while to fall for the older ovni's, just wondered if I was behind the curve or if it is not as nice as the older curvier ones. (I say older but they are still pretty futuristic)

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Having just completed a refit and re-painting of a Ovni 345 I was surprised by how much corrosion there was that at first viewing looked ok.
There are some very odd decisions made during the design/build which after 10 years wear and tear can come and bite you.

Ref to the OP's comments on the new ones, yes they're not attractive to look at but frankly there's a lot of new boats that I don't find attractive.
It appears that attractive = lack of space

Other threads that may be of interest