New locker lid £800 from Robbins. Help!!

Tiger Moth

Visit site
It won't provide the 'caulked' look, but when I needed to replace some veneered (teak?) ply locker lids I went to an antique/furniture and bought a teak wardrobe for £31 (including fees) and made all three of them out of that.
Hardwood/'brown' furniture is dirt cheap nowadays, I look in that direction first for all my timber needs.
You're absolutely right. I need a new transom so bought a lovely if slightly rocky mahogany table for £32. Even after that there would be plenty left over for a hatch cover, or whatever.

Tiger Moth

Visit site
The quote below was for £840 plus carriage. Should I go for it?!
Dear Mr Catterall

Thank you for your recent email enquiry as below.

I’m afraid our Elite decking is only sold in full sheets so I have attached a quotation for 1 whole sheet cut to the size as requested and the offcut supplied.

If delivery is required we would need a full delivery address to quote on.

Kind regards

Sarah Meredith
Not before attending a local auction which includes old furniture. I'm serious, and have probably just saved you over £800.

Tranona

Visit site
Just looking at teak veneer costs and see 3mx19cm x 3mm at £76 and similar size but 1.5mm at £31.
In terms of wear I would be happy with the 1.5mm but is that a bit shallow to caulk? The caulk lines on my lids are only 3 or 4 mm wide.

Like others I have found old furniture a good source though in terms of veneered stuff would the veneer glue be suspect in a marine environment?
1.5mm is fine and caulks OK as in my photo. note that the elite decking top veneer is only 1.4mm. Wear comes from over vigorous cleaning rather than foot fall. Helps to cover the cockpit when the boat is not in use as well

pcatterall

Visit site
Not before attending a local auction which includes old furniture. I'm serious, and have probably just saved you over £800.
My question was somewhat 'tongue in cheek'! I will have to check the total thickness of the existing lid and will investigate trying to salvage the top plywood layer ( water ingress seems to have separated the ply) and rebond it to some new ply or use new ply with veneer strips on top with caulking. I believe the cost will be sub £100.
When at auctions now I also look for good old timber.
Cheers.