New light for the heads

mrming

instagram.com
Most of the lights in my Fulmar have now been replaced with modern units with LED bulbs.

There’s still an older fitting in the heads, and I’m looking for a suitable replacement.

Q1) The current item is one where you twist the lens to turn it on / off. The switch has become unreliable and so I would like to replace it with a fitting that has a normal switch. However, it occurred to me that the twist design might be for a reason. Is it possible it was designed for use with damp hands?

Q2) I’m looking for a small-ish surface mount 12V light, with a proper switch (or a pull string), and ideally with a bayonet socket that can take a LED bulb, rather than an integrated LED bulb that can’t be replaced. I’ve tried the smallest item from Force4 (with integrated bulb), but ended up returning it as it was more suitable for illuminating a prison yard. Not marked as such on their product page, but it turned out to be cool white and about twice as bright as needed. Does anyone know a supplier who might have something suitable? I’ve tried 12V planet but they don’t have the right thing unf.

Any tips greatly appreciated! 🙂

davidmh

Visit site
What is the current type of bulb, your desciption of the unit suggests it could be an incandscent festoon type bulb, You can get LED replacements the festoon bulbs. I have fitted them to a number of my cabin lights, If you take the lens right out you will see how the switch works it is usually done by a shaped piece on the lens pushing brass strips together, quite simple to bend the metal strips to give a better conatct

David MH

Refueler

Visit site
Camping Shop .... you'd be amazed what they have for tents / caravans etc.

What about a cordless auto LED light ... no need for switch ... I have on my boat - with remote controller as well. I can set it to work from controller and/or Ir detect ... charges from USB - has about 30hrs charge ..

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Those twist to switch light fittings (assuming it’s the same one as in my Westerly Sealord cockpit locker) ard not specifically designed for damp areas.

The switches are easy to clean (rotating the lens causes a cam in the glass to push a sprung strip over to contact the other part of the ‘switch’. If you remove the glass (push in and rotate a bit more) then it should all be obvious.

It’s a festoon bulb IIRC and the cheapest and easiest solution would be to fit an LED version.

mrming

instagram.com
Thanks all - sounds like a plan to tweak the switch and replace the bulb. “Festoon” is the keyword I was missing when searching for bulbs - so far all the LED bulbs I’d found looked far too big to fit behind the lens. 🙂

Concerto

Visit site

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've used Atenlighting.co.uk for LED lighting for our boat, motorhome and cabinet lighting in the kitchen. Good quality and price and they will customise items for your application.

chris-s

Visit site
Maybe not quite what you were looking for, but we added a small usb rechargeable motion activated led light in our heads, it attaches with a magnet and adhesive metal pad at floor level providing just the right amount of light for a night time visit. The actual model we chose had both cool and warm leds for you to switch between, we opened it and painted the cool ones with some red paint so now have a choice of white or red.

https://amzn.eu/d/i5FkAwj

Refueler

Visit site
Maybe not quite what you were looking for, but we added a small usb rechargeable motion activated led light in our heads, it attaches with a magnet and adhesive metal pad at floor level providing just the right amount of light for a night time visit. The actual model we chose had both cool and warm leds for you to switch between, we opened it and painted the cool ones with some red paint so now have a choice of white or red.

https://amzn.eu/d/i5FkAwj

mmmm see my earlier posts ?

They really are better than I expected .... I have one each side of main cabin and one looking fwd into forecabin ... Charging is a doddle .. and then just put back to mount .. and another months use !

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site