new fenders best place to buy

BruceK

Visit site
Thanks, will do. What happens in a tidal estuary, mine flows at up to 4-5knts, is the water swirling around the boat and pontoons creates a foam that carries sediment up with it. The foam very quickly dissapates (although is in constant formation) leaving behind the sediment. Exactly the way a saltwater aquarium skimmer works. This fine sediment is actually extremely abrasive and will take off any paint in a matter of a couple of months. The issue in trying to raise the fenders high enough to avoid the foam (it can get up to a foot high at some localised eddy points) is that the undercut of the boat would then allow the fender to pop out or even completely miss the pontoon in some points near the bow if there is any water disturbance, wave, wakes etc rendering the fender as useless. I've tried the pontoon fenders but in anything other than a millpond any waves is liable to cause the boat to peel them off onto the underside of the pontoon from friction rubbing. I'm at wits end to find a solution to this problem to even considering a swing mooring just to prevent this

BruceK

Visit site
Bruce,

How about RainX or some Teflon spray to get the water and sediment to bead off the fenders?

Pete

I've applied this year this nano polish to hull and fenders which I believe is what Rain-X is (?) We shall see how that works and how long it lasts (durability) but something in a spray can is a great idea. I dont mind polishing a hull but the same for fenders just doesn't grab me quite the same way. Thanks for the heads up.

Seastoke

Visit site
Thanks, will do. What happens in a tidal estuary, mine flows at up to 4-5knts, is the water swirling around the boat and pontoons creates a foam that carries sediment up with it. The foam very quickly dissapates (although is in constant formation) leaving behind the sediment. Exactly the way a saltwater aquarium skimmer works. This fine sediment is actually extremely abrasive and will take off any paint in a matter of a couple of months. The issue in trying to raise the fenders high enough to avoid the foam (it can get up to a foot high at some localised eddy points) is that the undercut of the boat would then allow the fender to pop out or even completely miss the pontoon in some points near the bow if there is any water disturbance, wave, wakes etc rendering the fender as useless. I've tried the pontoon fenders but in anything other than a millpond any waves is liable to cause the boat to peel them off onto the underside of the pontoon from friction rubbing. I'm at wits end to find a solution to this problem to even considering a swing mooring just to prevent this

marina