New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Richard.C

Visit site
I've been a bit slow, sorry! There will be more news in a few weeks. Sea trials are underway (they do more than one) and everything is going well. Some detailed parts of the build are still being finished. I'm flying down next week and will be on board Thursday/Friday, and I'll get some pictures then. Delivery to me is scheduled for a couple of weeks later (mid April) but could slip a bit.

Meantime here are a few pics of the Williams tender mods that have been going on. It's a Sportjet 435, with the bigger 130hp engine and all the useful options, in exactly the same orca/teak deck/ silvertex as the Ribeye so they will be a matching pair. I like the boat very much having had one on charter last summer, but I'm not loving Williams themselves. They have made the tubes in the wrong colour so the tubes have to be changed, when the correct ones arrive, which is delaying the lorry taking it to Italy. Also Williams are a big waste of time if you want any customisation: they will say "maybe" to customisation requests, but then after months they said a flat "no" which left me with less time than I should have had to find an alternative solution. Painful.

Picture below is supposed to be a render of mine, though the teak is the wrong colour and the beige gelcoat and tubes should be cold white (with grey as shown in the render). So as well as not building the actual tubes in the correct colour, the rendered tubes are wrong too - at least they are consistent. The orange seats are correct, at least.
Rendering-1353-435-S-BCU-ISO-02.png

I want a MFD with all the usual features including linked VHF, proper echo sounder using bronze transducer, etc. Alas Williams can't/won't do this in any acceptable way on the 435 - below pics show their MFD option which is absolutely hideous. Exposed wiring and a horrible "mount on a pole" concept, urgh. I can scarcely believe this is the best they can do in 2024 on a £70k boat.
Dashmods-Williams-option-1.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-option-2.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-OPtion-3.png

So Alan at Essex Boatyards premises, who is an great guy and can work plenty of magic with GRP, kindly undertook a dashboard mod for me. First they had to strip the dash down to get to the bare GRP moulding, then Alan made a wooden plug as shown below. This is all to my design - I wanted the MFD sticking out sideways in a pod, so leaving the step's full surface below still accessible to feet as you step onto the boat. The teak isn't a seat, it's only a step - see render above. First few pics are the original dash close up. This is another boat, not mine, also with the Williams plotter option fitted, and also showing the horrible Carling switches that I also wanted to get rid of:
Dashmods-original-1.jpg

Dashmods-original-2.jpg

Dashmods-original-3.jpg

Dashmods-original-4.jpg

The picture below shows the wooden plug that Alan made:
Dashmods-plug-1.jpg

Dashmods-plug-2.jpg

Next below are various pictures of work in progress. The VHF aerial is concealed inside the helm unit, and will work fine because GRP is pretty transparent to VHF. Tom Pringle at Boats.co.uk did all the assembly and wiring very professionally:
Dashmods-WIP-1.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-2.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-3.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-4.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-5-VHF.jpg

Finally the pics below show finished job. GRP work is perfect. The pod is very strong so wouldn't break even if you stood on it. VHF antenna is hidden as above. VHF curly wire disappears into a round brush seal. Dimensions are nice and tight so the pod is barely bigger than the MFD (a 7 inch Garmin) and the step is only interrupted to the tune of 3 planks worth of teak so works perfectly well for stepping into the boat. As ever Essex Boatyards / Boats.co.uk and their great (on site but independent) Alan came up with the goods again :)
I need to sort out labelling for the two new halo switches (deck moodlights and Lumishore underwater lights) but that will be easy enough when I get round to it.
Dashmods-finished-1.jpg

Dashmods-finished-2.jpg

You might want to do a little VHF test, with the antenna so close to other electronics it's best to ensure you don't get interference when transmitting. It can be difficult to diagnose but concentrated RF energy can cause weird issues.

jfm

Visit site
You might want to do a little VHF test, with the antenna so close to other electronics it's best to ensure you don't get interference when transmitting. It can be difficult to diagnose but concentrated RF energy can cause weird issues.
Sure if it doesn’t work I’ll just change it. I’ve used this set up before with good results. An external antenna is a lot of hassle, so I want to try this method first in the hope it works.

jfm

Visit site
What's the rated RPM of that thing?
It's the 10k scale of the tacho that made me wondering, that's in racing engines league! :oops:

Fantastic tender anyhow, I'm sure it'll make you forget the painful experience with Williams, eventually! (y)
I don’t recall exactly but slow cruising is 5000 and fast is maybe 8000. Nothing happens down at 3000-4000
Seems a well proven engine but ultimately it needs to be regarded as disposable!
Run time is low on these things. My previous tender, the novurania with Yamaha 70, was new in 2013 and today has only 125 hours :)

47GC

Visit site
I've been a bit slow, sorry! There will be more news in a few weeks. Sea trials are underway (they do more than one) and everything is going well. Some detailed parts of the build are still being finished. I'm flying down next week and will be on board Thursday/Friday, and I'll get some pictures then. Delivery to me is scheduled for a couple of weeks later (mid April) but could slip a bit.

Meantime here are a few pics of the Williams tender mods that have been going on. It's a Sportjet 435, with the bigger 130hp engine and all the useful options, in exactly the same orca/teak deck/ silvertex as the Ribeye so they will be a matching pair. I like the boat very much having had one on charter last summer, but I'm not loving Williams themselves. They have made the tubes in the wrong colour so the tubes have to be changed, when the correct ones arrive, which is delaying the lorry taking it to Italy. Also Williams are a big waste of time if you want any customisation: they will say "maybe" to customisation requests, but then after months they said a flat "no" which left me with less time than I should have had to find an alternative solution. Painful.

Picture below is supposed to be a render of mine, though the teak is the wrong colour and the beige gelcoat and tubes should be cold white (with grey as shown in the render). So as well as not building the actual tubes in the correct colour, the rendered tubes are wrong too - at least they are consistent. The orange seats are correct, at least.
Rendering-1353-435-S-BCU-ISO-02.png

I want a MFD with all the usual features including linked VHF, proper echo sounder using bronze transducer, etc. Alas Williams can't/won't do this in any acceptable way on the 435 - below pics show their MFD option which is absolutely hideous. Exposed wiring and a horrible "mount on a pole" concept, urgh. I can scarcely believe this is the best they can do in 2024 on a £70k boat.
Dashmods-Williams-option-1.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-option-2.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-OPtion-3.png

So Alan at Essex Boatyards premises, who is an great guy and can work plenty of magic with GRP, kindly undertook a dashboard mod for me. First they had to strip the dash down to get to the bare GRP moulding, then Alan made a wooden plug as shown below. This is all to my design - I wanted the MFD sticking out sideways in a pod, so leaving the step's full surface below still accessible to feet as you step onto the boat. The teak isn't a seat, it's only a step - see render above. First few pics are the original dash close up. This is another boat, not mine, also with the Williams plotter option fitted, and also showing the horrible Carling switches that I also wanted to get rid of:
Dashmods-original-1.jpg

Dashmods-original-2.jpg

Dashmods-original-3.jpg

Dashmods-original-4.jpg

The picture below shows the wooden plug that Alan made:
Dashmods-plug-1.jpg

Dashmods-plug-2.jpg

Next below are various pictures of work in progress. The VHF aerial is concealed inside the helm unit, and will work fine because GRP is pretty transparent to VHF. Tom Pringle at Boats.co.uk did all the assembly and wiring very professionally:
Dashmods-WIP-1.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-2.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-3.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-4.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-5-VHF.jpg

Finally the pics below show finished job. GRP work is perfect. The pod is very strong so wouldn't break even if you stood on it. VHF antenna is hidden as above. VHF curly wire disappears into a round brush seal. Dimensions are nice and tight so the pod is barely bigger than the MFD (a 7 inch Garmin) and the step is only interrupted to the tune of 3 planks worth of teak so works perfectly well for stepping into the boat. As ever Essex Boatyards / Boats.co.uk and their great (on site but independent) Alan came up with the goods again :)
I need to sort out labelling for the two new halo switches (deck moodlights and Lumishore underwater lights) but that will be easy enough when I get round to it.
Dashmods-finished-1.jpg

Dashmods-finished-2.jpg
Tom at boats is a great guy, he loves all this stuff and does a great job.

Reactions: jfm

Mr Googler

Visit site
Really don’t think we’ve had enough photos of the mothership

Perhaps it’s all the top secret JFM patented items.

Moon pool?, submersible ( no seats….just a glass bowl with scatter cushions)?, laser light show from radar arch?

Hopefully we will find out soon!

vas

Visit site

Perhaps it’s all the top secret JFM patented items.

Moon pool?, submersible ( no seats….just a glass bowl with scatter cushions)?, laser light show from radar arch?

Hopefully we will find out soon!
I sincerely hope you're wrong mr Googler :p

jfm

Visit site
Me too, tbh. I've been too busy to get to Italy enough, and they haven't sent me enough pics(n). I have zillions of small technical drawings arriving weekly but they are a bit dull to post on here. Things like electrical switch panels, furniture design, wiring, etc. I also do a lot of drawings and Photoshop mock ups of my own and send them to the factory, but again they are minute detail and dull to post on here.

I'm on board in Italy at the end of next week for 2-3 days for my final inspection before handover, and I will get more pictures then.

Bouba

Visit site
Me too, tbh. I've been too busy to get to Italy enough, and they haven't sent me enough pics(n). I have zillions of small technical drawings arriving weekly but they are a bit dull to post on here. Things like electrical switch panels, furniture design, wiring, etc. I also do a lot of drawings and Photoshop mock ups of my own and send them to the factory, but again they are minute detail and dull to post on here.

I'm on board in Italy at the end of next week for 2-3 days for my final inspection before handover, and I will get more pictures then.
From beginning to (almost) end, how long has this project been ?

jfm

Visit site
From beginning to (almost) end, how long has this project been ?
Signed contract to buy it and paid deposit July 2022, delivery is April 2024, so 21 months. But I chose that first-of-2024 build slot from a few slots offered, and I could have had an October 2023 delivery if I had been been ok with a 2023 designation (nope) and if I had specced fewer customisations (nope).

Whopper

Visit site
The water softener/filtration setup sounds very clever and will make cleaning a breeze. Do you have outlets for compressed air? Pretty handy for blowing dust off engine surfaces etc. but also for tornado/vortex hoover attachments.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Even the Williams tender didn’t escape the fine tuning 😂

You don’t appreciate what goes into something that wouldn’t be noticed because it looks factory.

Now listen @jfm I wouldn’t do this for anyone but if they need someone to test the overnight comfort of the pillows, a discerning palate with which to test and fine tune the chef’s skills or possibly someone to help calibrate the pressure of the ship onboard massage I may have a small window of opportunity.

I could even help adjust the bean grind coarseness and dosage of the coffee machine relative to different temperatures and times of day.

I know - what a guy……. 😂

You must be getting so excited now. This is when it all comes together. I really look forward to a few photos of her being enjoyed as intended. 😎

jfm

Visit site
The water softener/filtration setup sounds very clever and will make cleaning a breeze. Do you have outlets for compressed air? Pretty handy for blowing dust off engine surfaces etc. but also for tornado/vortex hoover attachments.
Yup there will be a compressor and air outlets on aft deck, in garage, in e/room. Deliberately going to be a retrofit, pre-prep done - so I can see the available e/room space and get the biggest tank without it being too big. E/room space isn't abundant on this boat due to the big garage, V16's, bigger hydraulics than they usually fit (to power the fins) and upsized second generator.

Compressor is generally useful as you say, and will help with inflatable fenders when the circs demand.

rafiki_

Visit site

You don’t appreciate what goes into something that wouldn’t be noticed because it looks factory.

Now listen @jfm I wouldn’t do this for anyone but if they need someone to test the overnight comfort of the pillows, a discerning palate with which to test and fine tune the chef’s skills or possibly someone to help calibrate the pressure of the ship onboard massage I may have a small window of opportunity.

I could even help adjust the bean grind coarseness and dosage of the coffee machine relative to different temperatures and times of day.

I know - what a guy……. 😂

You must be getting so excited now. This is when it all comes together. I really look forward to a few photos of her being enjoyed as intended. 😎
I could carry your bags H?

jfm

Visit site

I know - what a guy……. 😂

Many thanks for the kind offer Henri :)

Yup the tender needed smashing about a bit - the factory originally is awful. Williams are good in some ways and have done a great job in cornering the market, but some of their product design is properly 1990s imho and their ability to deliver an order to spec is even worse than that in my actual experience on this occasion. All a bit 6/10. Great the GRP is such an easy material to cut and shut invisibly so it looks factory.

Talking of pillows, below is a Sanlorenzo pillow order form. Being a hairyarsed northerner I was tempted just to write "medium, for crying out loud" across the page and send it back. "Tenacious" sounds fun :)

Pillows-order-form.jpg

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Whilst we may disagree on scatter cushion density I am a massive fan of getting pillows and bed linen / mattress / topper just right. There is nothing that quite beats being cocooned in luxurious comfort in bed at anchor. Some hotels have it nailed, other quite expensive places fail.