New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Bouba

Visit site
A couple of weeks back we were returning one evening (summer very light)...and a superyacht comes towards our port side...we were doing eight knots he was faster..I was expecting him to give way or go around us...but I was prepared to stop just in case...and his chase boat a hundred meters behind comes into view as well...of course the bu99er didn’t give way or slow down and cuts right in front of us....by then we have no idea what to do about the chase rib...which way will he go...at the last second we see that the big rib was being towed...luckily I’m a better helmsman than the superyacht captain

Whopper

Visit site
Absolutely gorgeous rib! Stupid Q. Is petrol readily available in marinas nearby or how do you usually fill the rib? I didn’t spot fuel capacity in your post but I assuming 200l+ capacity. Do you have capacity for carrying petrol on the mothership?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Absolutely gorgeous rib! Stupid Q. Is petrol readily available in marinas nearby or how do you usually fill the rib? I didn’t spot fuel capacity in your post but I assuming 200l+ capacity. Do you have capacity for carrying petrol on the mothership?
post #528 372 litres

jfm

Visit site
Yup 372 litres as Rainbow says. Also there will be a Williams tender that carries about 50 litres. Petrol station are very widely available - almost every marina - so getting petrol is never a problem. I don't carry petrol on the mothership because of fire risk and the sheer size/weight of any meaningful amount, so I tend just to fill up tenders at marina fuel berths (normally simultaneously while filling the mother ship with diesel).

jfm

Visit site
Interesting that towing it behind the mother ship works.
I did that once with our Novurania - never again!! - the load in the tow line is huge.
Even with the special Novurania towing points, it just didn't feel right.
As soon as we got back to our home berth, we immediately devised a plan to lift it onto the bathing platform as well as crane it onto the flybridge.
So, thats what we do now - the Novurania always travels on the Flybridge or the bathing platform.
As you know, the 4.3 Novurania is bigger than one would expect for a tender for our boat.
I guess you would never be able (or want) to lift the Ribeye onto your new mothership so it is great that it tows nicely.
FWIW this short video shows it being towed in a decent sea (and sea states always look smaller on video as you know!).
Doing about 8 knots. Towline attached using a dyneema 3-point harness with drop forged shackles, supplied for the job by Ribeye. It did 400nm under tow last month like this, without any problems, all at 8-10 knots.

You can get a ballpark estimate of the tow force, ignoring snatch loads, by some simple maths, if you can make a guess as to power. Let's say it takes c.50hp to move that RIB at 8 knots (decent guess I think?). That's c 40kw of power. 8 knots = 4 metres/second. Force = power/velocity, so 40000/4 = 10,000 Newtons. =1,000Kgf. Conclusion: tension in the tow rope is same as if you were lifting 1 tonne of weight. Again, this ignores snatching etc.

Bouba

Visit site
Although on a much much much ....etc...smaller scale, I prefer to tow along side. Not only is it easier to maneuver, if it’s along side the helm station it’s easy to keep an eye on it

EricJ

Visit site
Cracking boat! Very nice! thanks for sharing the whole process here.
The pole on the back, is that carrying the antennas only or does it have more functions? First I thought it might be to tow toys…
Is the fuel tank GRP?
Congrats on this beautiful chase boat.
Nice Azi btw from the neighbours.

jfm

Visit site
Cracking boat! Very nice! thanks for sharing the whole process here.
The pole on the back, is that carrying the antennas only or does it have more functions? First I thought it might be to tow toys…
Is the fuel tank GRP?
Congrats on this beautiful chase boat.
Nice Azi btw from the neighbours.
The pole is intended to tow toys, and it works well for that. When towing say 4 people on a big inflatable sofa, we have used the transom U bolts, but for "lightweight" toys we use the pole. It also carries antennae (but not the main VHF which is a taller whip areal on the hard top) and the ensign. It's also a great handle when you have come up the swim ladder and are stepping into the boat.

Fuel tank is aluminium welded. It's sitting on the floor at the back of the picture below. Nicely baffled, as you can see.

Yes that Azi is a ncie machine. It's renting my space for a while, till the Sanlorenzo arrives. It came round from the Venice boat show earlier in the year. Magellano 25m. Very nice machine, except Azimut went totally off the rails imho with the terrible design of the raised pilothouse in this boat and their new Grande 26m.

Ribeye-build-hull-deep-v.jpg

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Yes that Azi is a ncie machine. It's renting my space for a while, till the Sanlorenzo arrives. It came round from the Venice boat show earlier in the year. Magellano 25m. Very nice machine, except Azimut went totally off the rails imho with the terrible design of the raised pilothouse in this boat and their new Grande 26m.
The rph does not looks so bad in both, though the wide body fore on the Grande 26m is over kill (look a blown up balloon).

I think few have ever managed to make RPH look as good as SL, even the old 88 looked very good IMO for a 27 meter.

jfm

Visit site
The rph does not looks so bad in both, though the wide body fore on the Grande 26m is over kill (look a blown up balloon).

I think few have ever managed to make RPH look as good as SL, even the old 88 looked very good IMO for a 27 meter.
It's not how they look - they look good. Problem is how they function.

On 26m Grande, you cannot walk from RPH to flybridge. You have to walk from RPH, down to salon, back to aft deck, up to flybridge. WTF? This is insane design imho. Additionally, the RPH is a tiny little platform, not a proper "office"

On 25m Magellan, the RPH has a tiny patch of floor to stand on, so again it is not an "office", It has insanely steep steps up to fly and down to galley, without proper handrails to brace your body against, so it is impractical for the stewardesses to walk up/down these stairs carrying food/plates. Picture below from Azi website. Insane design imho.

Azi-Mag25-RPH.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Any thoughts about a snubber or similar in the tow rope to reduce the snatch loads or is the rope sufficiently springy (Nylon) rather than the high YM dyneema?
Just used polyprop 3-strand stretchy rope. Polyprop floats, which is important.

benjenbav

Visit site
FWIW this short video shows it being towed in a decent sea (and sea states always look smaller on video as you know!).
Doing about 8 knots. Towline attached using a dyneema 3-point harness with drop forged shackles, supplied for the job by Ribeye. It did 400nm under tow last month like this, without any problems, all at 8-10 knots.

You can get a ballpark estimate of the tow force, ignoring snatch loads, by some simple maths, if you can make a guess as to power. Let's say it takes c.50hp to move that RIB at 8 knots (decent guess I think?). That's c 40kw of power. 8 knots = 4 metres/second. Force = power/velocity, so 40000/4 = 10,000 Newtons. =1,000Kgf. Conclusion: tension in the tow rope is same as if you were lifting 1 tonne of weight. Again, this ignores snatching etc.

The Ribeye is towing amazingly well. 👍

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
It's not how they look - they look good. Problem is how they function.

On 26m Grande, you cannot walk from RPH to flybridge. You have to walk from RPH, down to salon, back to aft deck, up to flybridge. WTF? This is insane design imho. Additionally, the RPH is a tiny little platform, not a proper "office"

On 25m Magellan, the RPH has a tiny patch of floor to stand on, so again it is not an "office", It has insanely steep steps up to fly and down to galley, without proper handrails to brace your body against, so it is impractical for the stewardesses to walk up/down these stairs carrying food/plates. Picture below from Azi website. Insane design imho.

Azi-Mag25-RPH.jpg
Ah yes then I agree.

julians

Visit site
Will you have any kind of system in place to alert you if the ribeye becomes detached from the big boat while towing,or just rely on it being spotted?

If so what's the solution?

Hurricane

Visit site
Will you have any kind of system in place to alert you if the ribeye becomes detached from the big boat while towing,or just rely on it being spotted?

If so what's the solution?
I spent a long time thinking about that when our plan was to tow the tender.
I think the best solution would be electronic.
Maybe AIS but I was considering using the VHF radio.
I can't remember exactly what I had planned but I think you would need something to locate it from a distance - not just something that is viewable by line of sight.
Technology has moved on now so AIS would probably be the best solution.
Mothership continually "polls" the tender/chase boat and alarms accordingly.
As I say, I didn't feel comfortable towing so I never built anything to monitor it.

julians

Visit site
I spent a long time thinking about that when our plan was to tow the tender.
I think the best solution would be electronic.
Maybe AIS but I was considering using the VHF radio.
I can't remember exactly what I had planned but I think you would need something to locate it from a distance - not just something that is viewable by line of sight.
Technology has moved on now so AIS would probably be the best solution.
Mothership continually "polls" the tender/chase boat and alarms accordingly.
As I say, I didn't feel comfortable towing so I never built anything to monitor it.
Could run a simple electric cable between big boat and small boat connected to a buzzer That sounds if the circuit is broken. Although I'm sure there must be some more elegant off the shelf solutions for this problem already.

my solution is far too heath Robinson to be used on a boat such as this😄