New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
A very impressive vessel this is going to be. I am a bit late to the party but also from me thank you so much for taking the time to post about this project.
I recall that you had freshwater flush installed on the raw water strainers of your Sq78. Are you installing that on the SL as well? I guess they must be taking quite some litres/min when you want to attach a hose to that….
Beautiful anchor gear btw
Hi Eric
That got christened BodgeFlow TM on here :)

Yes I will install it after delivery. Will take a bit more thinking because those MTU engines have below-waterline non self priming impeller raw water pumps (2 per engine, I think) instead of rubber impellers. Might not make much difference but I would need to look at it and think about it. So I will install that after delivery. Also will install on generators and airco chillers.

EricJ

Visit site
Hi Eric
That got christened BodgeFlow TM on here :)

Yes I will install it after delivery. Will take a bit more thinking because those MTU engines have below-waterline non self priming impeller raw water pumps (2 per engine, I think) instead of rubber impellers. Might not make much difference but I would need to look at it and think about it. So I will install that after delivery. Also will install on generators and airco chillers.
Hi JFM,
Very interesting, is this perhaps specific to the 2400 hp version? I see here that the other versions have self priming centrifugal raw water pumps.
https://www.mtu-solutions.com/conte...8241_MTU_Marine_spec_10V12V16V2000M96_1DS.pdf

very nice interior design btw. Beautiful furniture designs and natural colours.

jointventureII

Visit site
I loved the hydraulic winch on my last boat in that I knew it would never overheat like a DC motor can, but keeping the engines idling for too long when in harbour was a significant downside. Probably contributed 50+ hours of the 1,000 hours I had on the last boat when I sold it. I like to switch off the main engines asap when I get into port.
So I am thinking that 3 phase 230v motors and big generators must be the way to go. The one exception is thrusters - they need so much power that main engine PTOs still seem the best solution. I know many big superyachts use big AC motors for their thrusters but they then have to start an extra generator as they enter port.

Hydraulic thrusters also respond instantly whereas the big AC motors need a few seconds. Not a big problem but if you're berthing in somewhere open and gusty (Olbia marina a good example) then having instant response is a little more comforting.

We had electric thrusters on the SL118 / hydraulic on the Pershing 108 and I'd take hydraulic all day long

MapisM

Visit site
That got christened BodgeFlow TM on here
Yup, and also logoed!
...If such word exists? :unsure:

a5X6dlOU_o.jpg

Hurricane

Visit site
Yup, and also logoed!
...If such word exists? :unsure:

a5X6dlOU_o.jpg
Actually, if designed carefully, it might help with another issue.
The MTU CR2000 incorporates proper pumps.
Two on the front of each engine - driven directly off the crankshaft via two idler gears.
One pump circulates the coolant whilst the other is the raw water pump.
Being standard pumps and unlike rubber impeller pumps found on most marine engines, they require priming.
It was explained to me that this can be a problem when yachts are transported on the back of ships because water has to be bucketed into the system to manually prime it.
Princess fitted a fresh water tap and hose in our engine room for this purpose.
But if a boat is transported on a ship ALL the fluids are usually drained.

My solution when we lift the boat is simple.
Whilst the boat is still in the water supported by the travel hoist slings, I close the engine seacocks and keep the system primed.
Then, on relaunch, all I have to do is re-open the seacocks and the system is already primed.

Back to the point.
As JFM indicates above, a Bodgeflow system could be set up to act as a priming system as well as a fresh water replacement system.

However, I'm not completely sure that a Bodgeflow system is all that necessary on an MTU engine.
The heat exchanger is made from titanium.
In fact MTU are that confident with the raw water circuit that they don't even fit anodes within the circuit.

MapisM

Visit site
The heat exchanger is made from titanium.
In fact MTU are that confident with the raw water circuit that they don't even fit anodes within the circuit.
I think that's more triggered by the "German school" (so to speak), rather than MTU as such, and/or the material used. BTW, if they kept in the 2000 series their marinization system long used in the 183 series before, the HE is indeed made of titanium plates, but the CAC is made in bronze (not that it makes a big difference - just saying).

In fact, also in MANs there are no anodes.
BUT, the engines are bonded to a large external (transom) round anode, which I would think is what you've got also in your boat.

Anyhow, not having to bother with rubber impellers is something I always liked in MTUs, and yes, I also think that a proper BF installation can kill both the flushing and priming birds with one stone! (y)

jfm

Visit site
Yup the main heat exchangers on MTU 2000 series are titanium (same with Cat c32) but the oil coolers, CA cooler and others are normal bronze. Possibly the return fuel cooler too (on Cat c32 that was titanium). But Bodgeflow isn't just about corrosion; it's also about keeping the heat exchangers clean and not gunged up with marine growth.

Good that BodgeFlow can also serve as a priming system (y)

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Hi JFM,
Very interesting, is this perhaps specific to the 2400 hp version? I see here that the other versions have self priming centrifugal raw water pumps.
https://www.mtu-solutions.com/conte...8241_MTU_Marine_spec_10V12V16V2000M96_1DS.pdf

very nice interior design btw. Beautiful furniture designs and natural colours.
Thanks Eric. I think "self priming" is a throw away phrase on that MTU document. The raw water pumps are centrifugal pumps with a metal impeller that doesn't touch the pump casing, so there's a tiny gap like in a turbo charger, and therefore they will partially self prime but it depends on the head that they are being asked to prime from, ie how far above sea level the pump is located, which is different in every boat and MTU don't know it.

vas

Visit site
Any thoughts on UV filtered seawater. Sure I saw that on another aquaholic video!
to cool the engines? that must be a massive assembly to manage that waterflow mrG. Discussing normal 20-30lt per min flows (from a well to a tank for an off grid vacation house I've designed) and it's a substantial piece of kit. OK that's to kill everything so you can drink the thing, but still I feel John would end up with some massive 5in pipes 10+ metres long going back and forth the e/r

V.

Cheery

Visit site
Spot on.
And I'm not saying this because I'm obviously biased towards IT boatbuilding industry, but also for another crucial reason.
Chinese boatbuilders (and to some extent this applies also to Taiwanese, though they care a bit more about their own reputation, in fairness) are very hard to control even for the brand "owners" themselves.
I mean, Marlow, Grand Banks, ORY, Fleming, Nordhavn... You name it.

Does anyone remember the horrific joinery on Gludy's vessel? It resembled something knocked up in a 3rd year woodworking class and he was rightly pi$$ed off.

Bouba

Visit site
Thanks - years since I've been in that marina.
Doubt I'll ever go to Porqs ever again bcz they have totally banned >24m boats inside the red line below. Used to be a good spot to top up fuel then anchor overnight before crossing to Mallorca (Alcudia)

No-Anchoring-Porquerolles.jpg
I’ve never seen that chart before...but I have seen many large boats at anchor most places inside that red line

jfm

Visit site
Any thoughts on UV filtered seawater. Sure I saw that on another aquaholic video!
Not seen that - not sure what it does. Aquaholic often doesn't explain technical stuff very deeply - he happily admits that he doesn't understand it!
UV kills bugs (especially UV-A, iirc) but won't remove salt so I'm not sure what use a big UV machine would be tbh.

jfm

Visit site
I’ve never seen that chart before...but I have seen many large boats at anchor most places inside that red line
And that's the tricky part Bouba. These rules seem to be completely not enforced, 9 days out of 10, especially if you don't have AIS. I see that just as you do. But if you just happen to get caught, the fines are big and the seemingly compulsory schlepp to the courthouse to stand in line to pay is a PITA.

jfm

Visit site
Does anyone remember the horrific joinery on Gludy's vessel? It resembled something knocked up in a 3rd year woodworking class and he was rightly pi$$ed off.
Yup, remember it well. Though to be fair to the other brands like Marlow, ORY, Nordhavn, etc, they all seem to get better quality from their subcontractor boat builders than Trader did, at least at that worst part in Trader's history.

Millermob

Visit site
JFM, as you know, I'm thoroughly enjoying the build thread - thank you for taking the time to share. I did notice on the drawings for the main deck layout that there is no internal dining table (unless I have missed it). I assume all by choice and presumably with it being med based, dining inside is not really a done thing for you?

Having only day chartered flybridge boats (albeit it much smaller...) - I have always thought that I couldn't imagine dining inside. Still plenty of places to work with a laptop should you want some A/C though etc.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Not seen that - not sure what it does. Aquaholic often doesn't explain technical stuff very deeply - he happily admits that he doesn't understand it!
UV kills bugs (especially UV-A, iirc) but won't remove salt so I'm not sure what use a big UV machine would be tbh.
I’m wondering if I got the wrong end of the stick now…quite possible. I can’t find the video…he’s done so many 😂 I’m sure it was to do with a sea chest but now I’m thinking it could have been unrelated to the engine cooling. Could reduce marine growth but get it would have to be a mega uv source to make any odds with the volumes of water involved!

jfm

Visit site
JFM, as you know, I'm thoroughly enjoying the build thread - thank you for taking the time to share. I did notice on the drawings for the main deck layout that there is no internal dining table (unless I have missed it). I assume all by choice and presumably with it being med based, dining inside is not really a done thing for you?

Having only day chartered flybridge boats (albeit it much smaller...) - I have always thought that I couldn't imagine dining inside. Still plenty of places to work with a laptop should you want some A/C though etc.
The inside dining table is port side of saloon - 2m long. Very rarely used as you say- I probably dined inside fewer than 6 times in 10 seasons in previous boat.

The table is electric up/down and it slides athwartships about 200mm. D efault setting will be slid to starboard and lowered = coffee table for window seat. No dining chairs; minimalist look.

For laptop-ing it will be motored up and slid to port. For dining 5 chairs will be brought inside from aft deck - these will be “inside quality” chairs not “deck chairs” (they’re being made by the excellent Cocowolf in Derbyshire uk).

Renders below shows this ( except I won’t be having the 2 dining chairs) and there are plenty of concept images at this page (mine is along the lines of hull 734). SL96A Yacht | SL Range - Sanlorenzo Yachts UK

nw9V4Nf

Interior-salon-lkg-stbd-aft.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-port.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-forward.jpg

Last edited: