New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Bouba

Visit site
I noted in an earlier post that your crew has been with you a while (10 yrs for the Chief Stewardess?)

IMHO this says a lot about someone who is clearly good to work for and enjoys such loyalty.

However I just wondered what the crew said about the new boat and were there any conversations about layout / functionality etc.

Perhaps along the line of, " Ok Boss, the next boat must have........?" ;)
I didn’t know that….so do you keep your crew year round?

Portofino

Visit site
Yes as you say “Very much an each to their own point.”
This would work for us .

6BDC421A-84B8-41EA-87AB-8FB47D8BDCD9.jpeg
Still have a conversation with the Perotis over dividing up the fwd deck level owners area .Maybe a one gust cabin / VIP on the asymmetric ( private side ) , and an office , wfh space on the walkway side with the open door @ anchor fresh air experience.

I was only responding to a auto “ I wouldn’t change a thing “ Bouba initiated .
Its nice tbh the customisable side in a no two are made the exactly same .Amarti had the same mind set ( sorry folks just saying ) .It works or did back then even at 15 M -20 M size range .Probably a reflection of the IT boat building industry and customer expectations etc .

I like these family run yards because it’s there name on the door and they usually are on site every day .Means a lot imho .
It’s more like treat the customers as you would like to be treated .

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Besides, let me bring a couple of points to your attention.

First, in most if not all modern 30m boats I can think of, the master cabin is in the main deck, so obviously their buyers consider it a plus rather than a minus, and see neither rain noise nor reverse visibility as problems.

Second, I'm sure in Ameglia they would be happy to accomodate your wishes after seeing your signature on both a build contract and a fat advance cheque. But in your boots, I'd rather ask them in advance if they already built anything similar so far, and also what's their take on future sale value of the thing, with a customization like the one you are envisaging.
Following on the IT family connection / owner builders / there name on the door ….
Take a look at what the Amerio family do .

Amer Yachts: innovative, technological and sustainable yachts

Pay attention to the privacy , window point and rain Velox point I made for the owners suit fwd on the deck .
Now factor in the outdoor Med boaty life style .

So for me as well the Peroti s I would be sitting down with the Amerio s .Ink dripping from my mont blanc . :)

Talking them into building a 95 ( the 24 M LL dip under thingy ) sans IPS .Going straight shafts on V drives and motorising it for essentially D speed + stabs .
So smaller engines = greater range .

We moored last summer very close to one and saw how they used it .+ seen a few Amers at Genoa show .
This privacy , crew peeping , walking by at night etc is something Mrs Porto picked up on btw .So to sell it that needs reconciling .
Amer I think does that ? So I don’t think we ( she ) is the only one who’s thought that through .The industry @ this size has a solution.

jfm

Visit site
Yup fully agree on family yards.

I looked at Amer but just don't like them enough. Just personal taste, but I find a few bits of their house style to be ugly. Even if they agreed to put in shafts not IPS, I wouldn't want one. So I didn't even talk to the yard.

There is nothing unique about Amer's design where the owner cabin on main deck is wide body both sides. Exactly the same as Riva 90+103 and plenty of others. Works fine imho and is a good basic design.

The privacy/crew peeping is all dealt with (imho) as per my post above - I see it as a non issue. You press a button on your bedside table and you're absolutely 100% private. If you / Mrs Porto still think it's an issuer you'll have to do more to design it out! :)

Ferris

Visit site
The worktops and splashbacks can be in any material the customer asks for - there is no menu to choose from - and I'm going to try that new wonder material called "Dekton" - I hope it works well and if it doesn't it can be changed a year or two down the line. (Anyone tried it?)

We have a Dekton countertop at home, so not a marine application, but it’s great. Architect had specified Corian but our kitchen guy recommended Dekton as it’s more durable and looks better as it’s more matt in colour and texture. We have it in black with a slightly rough finish, almost like slate but flatter. Edges are finished in gloss. It’s quite contemporary looking which was what we wanted. It’s stood up to the acid test of wife and kids and looks like new 2yrs later.

billskip

Visit site
What astonishes me (after the eye watering sums of money we must be talking about) is the eye for detail…it comes from a logical mind and years of experience…it can’t be duplicated…in fact I wouldn’t bother, when I win the euromillions jackpot tomorrow night..I’m am going straight to SL and taking his build slot😎😀
Tomorrow night's jackpot may let you buy it, but what you gonna use to run it?😉

jfm

Visit site
We have a Dekton countertop at home, so not a marine application, but it’s great. Architect had specified Corian but our kitchen guy recommended Dekton as it’s more durable and looks better as it’s more matt in colour and texture. We have it in black with a slightly rough finish, almost like slate but flatter. Edges are finished in gloss. It’s quite contemporary looking which was what we wanted. It’s stood up to the acid test of wife and kids and looks like new 2yrs later.
Many thanks for that info - sounds good.
Yup I wouldn't do Corian in a hard working kitchen - not durable enough
Dekton comes in matt or gloss, depending on the colour/pattern - I have ordered it in gloss.

jfm

Visit site
I noted in an earlier post that your crew has been with you a while (10 yrs for the Chief Stewardess?)

IMHO this says a lot about someone who is clearly good to work for and enjoys such loyalty.

However I just wondered what the crew said about the new boat and were there any conversations about layout / functionality etc.

Perhaps along the line of, " Ok Boss, the next boat must have........?" ;)
Yup I'm very fortunate to have a very loyal/excellent chief stewardess/chef/general boat manager.

New boat is very much my project so yes I have taken soundings but it's my spec. I don't have and wouldn't want a captain telling me what airco/nav gear/whatever to get. The chief stewardess has a wish list for the parts of the boat that affect her, which is being fulfilled as far as possible. She is getting a much better cabin/shower room for herself, and to run the boat better than the last one it needs more laundry hardware (5 appliances = 2 Meile pro washing m/c+ 2Meile pro dryers+ one combi washer dryer) and much more kitchen (= big windows+door to see out, two ovens, warming drawer, two dishwashers, lots of fridge space, 2 proper restaurant quality icemakers instead of the mickey mouse things most boats have, lots of worktop, express route to get food up to flybridge dining table fast and dirty plates back down, etc). Finally there will be Spot Zero water on board which saves a lot of crew time washing the boat and helps keeps the bathroom marble in good nick.

Bouba

Visit site
One person full time 12 mths/year, because the boat needs attention even in winter, then extra crew just hired for3 mths of summer when the boat is busy
Now that you are getting this new boat....does that mean your brother will buy another boat as well (besides the chase boat 😜)?

jfm

Visit site
Now that you are getting this new boat....does that mean your brother will buy another boat as well (besides the chase boat 😜)?
Yup, sure does mean that. He has similar budget and will build something very nice. Displacement boat . We have looked at a couple but too early to reveal, and anyway it might be a few years off bcz his kids are still at school. So he will likely run the Aquastar 74 for a couple more years (and it's getting a full hull paint job this September)

Mr Googler

Visit site
Yup, sure does mean that. He has similar budget and will build something very nice. Displacement boat . We have looked at a couple but too early to reveal, and anyway it might be a few years off bcz his kids are still at school. So he will likely run the Aquastar 74 for a couple more years (and it's getting a full hull paint job this September)
We need a thread on that too! I love that 74

MrB

Visit site
Great build thread. Will we be seeing another suit of Lumishore's and a set of triple Kahlenberg's added to the list? Will you be letting the yard fit the Bodgeflow™©® system or is that still top secret and will be retro fitted? So many questions lol. :cool:(y):D

Zing

Visit site
One person full time 12 mths/year, because the boat needs attention even in winter, then extra crew just hired for3 mths of summer when the boat is busy
How will you keep crew busy apart from cleaning on a new boat like this with no guests during winter? Big machinery presumably will be official dealer serviced due to warranty requirements and there should be few repairs to sort out.

benjenbav

Visit site
How will you keep crew busy apart from cleaning on a new boat like this with no guests during winter? Big machinery presumably will be official dealer serviced due to warranty requirements and there should be few repairs to sort out.
I’d imagine guardiennage, cleaning, provisioning for owner visits, liasing with manufacturer representatives for maintenance access, collecting people from airports. Plenty to keep one person reasonably occupied.

Portofino

Visit site
Frequent use that’s how .In the winter bigger boats ( like them all really ) don’t go out much and morph into floating accommodation.There’s always plenty of shore based activities along the CdA to Genoa to find more reasons to visit .
Folks were on the beach a couple weeks ago in Loano ( Liguaria ) Such was the weather .

How ever as a typical ex boaty reason ….this breezed past our marina last Saturday.They all Parked up for stop .

45D75C5F-7568-448F-BA46-CB6D15B2A78F.jpeg

Last edited: