New boat day!

BlueJasper

Visit site
Not today but it was 3 weeks ago!!
After being boatless for 10 years I decided a Beneteau Swift Trawler 35 was the boat for me. Wife was onboard and when visiting friends at Chichester Marina in 2019 happened to see a new 35 for sale. We both had a look and decided we would have one in a few years’ time.
This summer I decided that I would start looking seriously at the market and logged every 34 and 35 coming up for sale in the UK. Initially 34’s sold within a few weeks and 35’s almost instantly and all at crazy prices in my opinion.

I looked at a 2016 ‘34 in July that wasn’t in particularly great nick on at a price which would have been more than when it was new. I walked away and said we would wait until the market calmed down
A couple of weeks later we were parked at our local marina and on a visitor’s berth was a nice looking 35. I said to the missus I’m going to see if he wants to sell it. No one was on board, so I went home, wrote a note and put it on the boat.

The next morning, I had a text inviting me to pop down for a chat where I met a lovely couple who did not have age on their side. We agreed to stay in touch if and when he decided to sell. The following month I had an email to move things along, so we agreed a very sensible price with a sale to be completed in the winter.
Well that all happened very quickly in October and I picked her up earlier this month and yep, she was the very boat we saw in 2019 in Chichester!

I know they are not the best built boats in the world, but I had a few chats with Bouba, read as many reviews as possible, looked at several at boat shows and found this model fitted the bill for my future boating requirements.

Getting closer to retirement it had to have a flybridge (!), 1 reliable engine (Cummins QSB6.7), shaft drive, modern nav gear and be dog friendly. Cruising at 8 knots might not be everybody’s cup of tea, but with hopefully more time on my side, enjoying the journey and appreciating what is around me will make a change from flying around at 20 knots. And a tank of fuel will go a hell of a long way.

As an aside, since September all the boats I was monitoring are still for sale and 2 have dropped by £30k. This might be due to the season finishing or a sign of things to come.
Anyway, this one now resides on the Isle of Wight and roll-on next summer!
I tried to upload a pic, but it keeps failing.

Dino

Visit site
Congrats on the new boat. They are a fine boat.
It might be worth trying to resize your photos as there is a size limit for uploading photos
I use an App called Image Size

BlueJasper

Visit site
Thanks guys and yes the previous owner was a life long yachty, so lots of fenders!
Its early days and we are still settling in, but luckily we have a user friendly berth whilst we get used to her, well me helming without shouting at first stew!

ashtead

Visit site
How’s the Trawler going this summer? Any issues since last year? What’s the average fuel usage and have you crossed the channel yet or down to Dartmouth say? Any other boats you looked at offered equal space? There’s a rather nice Targa 36 which has just arrived as our new neighbour but no fly. How easy are they to moor in a crosswind? Just curious as I suspect the move from sail to power might be a possibility in next few years .

BlueJasper

Visit site
Hi, trawler life is good. At 8 knots I'm burning about 11 litres per hour, but if I push on to 16 knots I'm in to 70 oer hour. We went to Dartmouth in June and are currently in Salcombe. We have used about 200 litres to get here covering about 120 miles, but that includes some spells going fast and the hull is not the cleanest. Mostly we cruise at 8 knots which for us takes some getting used to.

When the weather is right the flybridge is fantastic. The thrusters help a lot when mooring, but they can only go so far. Above about 14 knots the stern thruster can't cope, so it's more about tactics!

For us, with two dogs it's perfect for how we want to use it. I've added a couple of solar panels and a bigger inverter that are really useful, but expensive.

I've put a new pump in the toilet and that's about it repair wise apart from normal servicing.

I didn't look at any other boats as I knew when the 35 was launched it was the boat for us!

Cheers

Phil

Greg2

Visit site
Pleased to hear that it is working out for you.

We tend to cruise at around 8 knots in our Hardy - we have twin engines and I don’t have fuel consumption figures to hand but I did work it out last season and from memory it wasn't far from yours. If we go faster fuel burn increases exponentially but she is a heavy lump with a semi-displacement hull so no surprises there!

We have had faster boats, including sports cruisers, but I can’t say that I really miss the speed and our ‘trawler’ suits us well. The only complication is that we are idly considering switching to sail as we enjoy both, but at the moment we can‘t come to terms with the idea of selling the Hardy! 😏