Neville Shute’s Yacht Wrecked

dgadee

Visit site
Thank you to the OP. If nothing else, I was inspired by this thread to read another of Shute’s books (having read a town like Alice when I was a schoolboy).

I’ve just finished Trustee from the toolroom, a sailing yarn which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed.

I’ll have a crack at On the beach next.

His autobiography is well worth reading. “Slide Rule”, I think.

Boo2

Visit site
Local press reporting that “Runagate” a 40 ft yacht that once belonged to Neville Shute has been wrecked in Granton West Harbour, Edinburgh after breaking her lines during storm Alwen. Apparently on her way from Newcastle to Charlestown harbour on the Forth. She was not in great nick before being wrecked and the harbour she was en route to is known as a graveyard for old vessels. If anyones got View attachment 127088‘ more details would be interested.
Is she the model for the yacht in his novel "Trustee from the Toolroom" does anybody know ?

Shame to see a boat with that history in such straits...

Boo2

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Is she the model for the yacht in his novel "Trustee from the Toolroom" soea anybody know ?
Shearwater is described in the book as being a bermudan cutter, 28 ft on the waterline, with a canoe stern. Runagate would appear to be a bit larger (she doesn’t have huge overhangs, so the LWL must be more than 28 ft) and she sports a schooner rig.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Is she the model for the yacht in his novel "Trustee from the Toolroom" soea anybody know ?

Shame to see a boat with that history in such straits...

Boo2
From memory, the boat is only described in fairly vague terms from the point of view of the non-sailing Trustee of the title, so I don't think it would be possible to identify what it was based on. I vaguely recall that that part of the story (the idea of sailing off with a large amount of capital invested in the boat) was based on the Smeetons, which might give some pointers.

dgadee

Visit site
Interested in the statement than Charlestown was a graveyard for boats, popped over to have a look today. It is. Why? Looks as though it could be a nice little harbour.

wildrover.jpg

I think Wild Rover will be roving no more. Neither, by the looks of it, will the other two submerged boats beside it.

NormanS

Visit site
Charlestown harbour has been derelict for years and years. The east outer basin was used briefly shortly after the war for ship breaking. The harbour is owned by Lord Elgin, and would need to have millions spent on it to dredge out the mud, and make it safe to an acceptable standard. Understandably, his lordship is unwilling to spend the money, and cannot charge any dues without first making at least the walls and ladders safe. Understandably the harbour attracts old boats in the latter stages of their lives.
In the past, it has been a busy harbour, for the export of coal and lime, and could, with the help of Megabucks, by busy again for leisure craft. At present that seems very unlikely.

NormanS

Visit site
Charlestown harbour to be cleared apparently.

View attachment 131723
I happened to be at Charlestown harbour on Saturday, and it is indeed a sad looking place. I don't know how the estate is going to achieve the removal of all the boats, particularly the sunk ones. The standard of the boats reflects the abandoned, tumbledown state of the harbour. Dirt attracts dirt.

TLouth7

Visit site
Space for oligarchs yachts?
They will have to compete with the new superyacht harbour in Granton (Edinburgh Marina - Waterside Development & Marina) (NB, not the same as the actually existing and very reasonable pontoon in Granton harbour Edinburgh Marina – The Marina for Central Edinburgh), and plans to create a superyacht marina in Leith docks as part of the Ocean Terminal redevelopment. Not sure where all these superyachts are going to come from, or indeed go to.

dgadee

Visit site
They will have to compete with the new superyacht harbour in Granton (Edinburgh Marina - Waterside Development & Marina) (NB, not the same as the actually existing and very reasonable pontoon in Granton harbour Edinburgh Marina – The Marina for Central Edinburgh), and plans to create a superyacht marina in Leith docks as part of the Ocean Terminal redevelopment. Not sure where all these superyachts are going to come from, or indeed go to.

They will have to lock in, I presume? For Leith docks, I mean.

TLouth7

Visit site
They will have to lock in, I presume? For Leith docks, I mean.
They would certainly have to, but I must admit I cannot now find any record of the proposal. Maybe I am going mad. The superyachts that have been in recently (e.g. Tom Cruise's) have moored at Ocean Terminal.

TLouth7

Visit site
By the way Runagate is still in the same position, still flooding with every tide. I heard a rumour that salvage plans are afoot but haven't seen any evidence.

savageseadog

Visit site
Yes but they're in Scotland.

dgadee

Visit site
I happened to be at Charlestown harbour on Saturday, and it is indeed a sad looking place. I don't know how the estate is going to achieve the removal of all the boats, particularly the sunk ones. The standard of the boats reflects the abandoned, tumbledown state of the harbour. Dirt attracts dirt.

Is Charlestown empty now?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
There was also lot of flying in small aircraft in his books, in real life he was an aeronautical engineer, he worked on many designs including Airships. He ran his own aircraft building factory. He also had an air transport company , Airspeed, in Portsmouth. His real name is Neville Norway. I love detail of the plots, they are all possible. His engineering details are spot on. I have all his books some are first editions which I inherited from my father who was an engineer in the RAF, having previously worked for Hawker aircraft and Westlands. I am sure that in some novels some of the characters are Shute himself, others are people he knew.

David MH
His father was an official in the Royal Mail, AFAIR, and was in charge of the GPO in Dublin at the time of the 1916 Uprising. I have a book , somewhere, detailing the Norway family's travails and adventures during that fateful week.

AlanJeans

Visit site
I read all of Nevil Shute's books as a young teenager. Still one of my favourite authors. A town like Alice was my favourite but Trustee from the toolroom was a close second. I loved the technical detail coupled with his characters you could believe in. And great stories.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I read all of Nevil Shute's books as a young teenager. Still one of my favourite authors. A town like Alice was my favourite but Trustee from the toolroom was a close second. I loved the technical detail coupled with his characters you could believe in. And great stories.
"Trustee from the Toolroom" and "An Old Captivity" are my favourites!