Needle files

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Has anyone tried using 'needle files' (I think that's what they are called) to clean the female ends of corroded connectors?

I have some sterndrive trim connectors that I suspect are corroded and all Volvo ever do it replace the entire switch (at £150 a pop) that is terminated with a male connector.

The Q

Visit site
Often done it as I've got lots of needles files for railway modelling. You need to re tin the connector afterwards though..
Don't bother if it's a gold plated connector though, unless you are good at gold plating..

Bilgediver

Visit site
Has anyone tried using 'needle files' (I think that's what they are called) to clean the female ends of corroded connectors?

I have some sterndrive trim connectors that I suspect are corroded and all Volvo ever do it replace the entire switch (at £150 a pop) that is terminated with a male connector.
Yes and following the cleaning with the file carefully lubricate with a Copper Slip type grease which is available from Halfords . ONLY APPLY TO CONTACT PARTS. It is conductive.

B27

Visit site
Depending on the contact type, it may be better to squeeze them so they grip the other part better?
Filing them slacker won't help!

Refueler

Visit site
Depending on the contact type, it may be better to squeeze them so they grip the other part better?
Filing them slacker won't help!

On the silly twin pin plugs - I slit the pins and then prise the two halves slightly apart to force them to be tight fit into socket.

On others that you cannot do that - I have used solder to build up the pins and then file back to smooth etc - making it a better fit to socket ..