Navionics app on a tablet, and integrating AIS targets

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Just out of interest, what is your existing plotter? You can get a Matsutec AIS send AND receive box that’ll display on an NMEA 0183 enabled plotter, for less than £240 on AliExpress or similar china commerce site.
It’s a Cobra marine MC600i from 2006
I have contacted the UK tech centre for Cobra about NMEA in from AIS, but no-one works there who remembers this old unit.
There is no mention of AIS in the manual, it predates widespread leisure use of AIS.

1709626442640.jpeg
It is working, still has plenty of valid tidal data, works very well for me for data fields, the charts are old but I rarely use them and the Coast around Pembrokeshire changes at a geological pace.

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
Others will know better than me but I have a hope that if it has NMEA 0183 it’ll display targets from an AIS outputting NMEA 0183 data. Tech not my strong point though.

B27

Visit site
I think AIS on leisure boats has been 'a thing' for longer than some people imagine.
I'm pretty sure I sailed on a boat with the early NASA 'AIS Radar' in 2005, if not 2004.
AIS became compulsory on vessels in the 'hundreds of tons' bracket before 2005.

Refueler

Visit site
I think AIS on leisure boats has been 'a thing' for longer than some people imagine.
I'm pretty sure I sailed on a boat with the early NASA 'AIS Radar' in 2005, if not 2004.
AIS became compulsory on vessels in the 'hundreds of tons' bracket before 2005.

Yes ... but in early days - people were not so quick to catch on .. it was just another one of those gizmo things ...

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Many thanks to all who helped!

In the end I opted for a Quark024 rx, and a very cheap tablet package from London Chart plotters. Around £215 all in, and no ongoing subscriptions.

IMG_3028.jpg

It seems to do what I want, it shows AIS targets with their headings and I can set parameters such as as safe passing distances. I have only briefly tried it though, more sailing planned over Easter. (That and a better install than cable ties onto the sprayhood frame)

I rarely use my old plotter as a plotter, it’s more for data such as SOG and VMG. I haven’t tried the plotter app on the tablet for anything other than the AIS overlay to keep out of the way of Ferries and LNG tankers, but I am very pleased with the price, quality and service from London Chart Plotters.
I haven’t had to pay an annual subscription for Navionics, but if my plotter needs ever change, and the Marine Navigator app and Raster charts don’t do it for me, the tablet is ready to download the Navionics app.

Last edited: