Nav Lights Bulb replacement Westerley Centaur c1979

UncleAlbert

Visit site
Well I guess it had to happen its only been 52 years! The green light is not working.
Anyone know how the nice shiny chrome original lights facilitate changing the bulb? Cannot see any fixing or lens cover attachment outside and hoping its not a demolition job inside. What does the panel know?

Ta Uncle Albert

UncleAlbert

Visit site
Yes that would be sensible, Found out last night, no camera (yes I do not have a mobile phone). Boat on mooring will possibly get out to her in a couple of days. Thanks for the interest I'll post picture of the offending item in due course.

Unc Centaur 1702, bit older then
yours then

Stemar

Visit site
When a bulb died on my Snapdragon (1970), the screws had seized and the moulded in nut broke free of the plastic. The simple solution was this

LED 12 Volt Navigation Lights Port and Starboard - Pair - Marine Scene

I don't think it's worth replacing a bulb - most seem to be 10w each, so 30W under sail is quite a drain on the battery, compared with the minimal draw of LEDs

Refueler

Visit site
If they are the shiny stainless jobs that bolt to Pulpit plate either side ... there should be small bolt / nuts (3) around the outer frame .. my SR25 had them ... and I had to cut the whole frames off ... then replace with later plastic lights.

XBfSR6m.jpg

But they then had problem that the originals were angled to compensate for the pulpit ... I had to fashion triangular plates to correct them.

as you see here before correction pieces fitted

42HxEoUm.jpg

I would like to put them back - but after all the years - the internals had fallen apart.... one day I will try fashion new internals to put them back ...

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
It would certainly be worth swapping to LEDs . If you can open them up you can get replacement led bulbs to suit most shapes. It wouldn't cost a fortune to replace port, starboard and stern with new fittings. On my last two boats I've swapped all the bulbs with LEDs, it saves a considerable amount of leccy.

UncleAlbert

Visit site
If they are the shiny stainless jobs that bolt to Pulpit plate either side ... there should be small bolt / nuts (3) around the outer frame .. my SR25 had them ... and I had to cut the whole frames off ... then replace with later plastic lights.

XBfSR6m.jpg

But they then had problem that the originals were angled to compensate for the pulpit ... I had to fashion triangular plates to correct them.

as you see here before correction pieces fitted

42HxEoUm.jpg

I would like to put them back - but after all the years - the internals had fallen apart.... one day I will try fashion new internals to put them back ...
Thanks refueler, my lights are on the side of the coach roof and are nearly visible on the centaur in your first photo next to your boat, but are obscured from clear view by a stantion. (Blast). I am guess that other have also mentioned that the innards are probably very degraded so new ones will be needed with hi tech LEDS too.

Unc

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks refueler, my lights are on the side of the coach roof and are nearly visible on the centaur in your first photo next to your boat, but are obscured from clear view by a stantion. (Blast). I am guess that other have also mentioned that the innards are probably very degraded so new ones will be needed with hi tech LEDS too.

Unc

OK ...

Most Centaurs I have seen over the years have changed to pulpit nav lights to avoid the genoa covering the light as you get with cabin side mounted.

Well spotted - never paid much attention to the Centaur next to me ... boat barely moved !! But the Maccy 26 in front of piccy was always in use !