Nasa GPS Repeater

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I looked online and the connections look straightforward. It would receive info from a Garmin handheld. It would also take the place of an old redundant wind display slot

Question
Does it simply replicate the various screens from the handheld with nothing else to do ? If not, would I have to set up data fields on the repeater and perhaps be limited to one display of data ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Looks like it will give you lat and long, bearing and distane to waypoint, criss track error..

For not much more money you could get a second hand Garmin GPS 129 or similar, with far more functionality.

B27

Visit site
We had one many years ago, so the latest may be a little different.
It interprets NMEA sentences from the GPS receiver.
So it doesn't 'hold' any data, it displays what it receives.
The main GPS receiver will chuck out a string of NMEA sentences giving time, position, etc etc, this may be user programmable.
Our repeater would only display COG and SOG if the GPS had a GOTO waypoint, I don't know if that's because the GPS only outputs that info if there's a GOTO set, or it was a 'feature' of the repeater.

Personally, I like having a waypoint set (even if I intend to pass it miles to starboard !) and COG, SOG, DTW and BTW are good indicators of progress.
With a couple of waypoints on the average passage, this info is enough that I hardly need to look at the plotter/tablet.

It's a good display for reading across the cockpit.

ithet

Visit site
Our repeater would only display COG and SOG if the GPS had a GOTO waypoint, I don't know if that's because the GPS only outputs that info if there's a GOTO set, or it was a 'feature' of the repeater.

That COG would be a function of the RMB sentence the NASA uses. RMB message sends COG as "Destination closing velocity in knots", which is not actually the same as the boat speed over the seabed, but more useful if you want to know how quickly you are getting to your waypoint.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I spent a bit of time googling the Nasa GPS Repeater and found a few points that may be useful.

You have to set the ship's GPS to magnetic. The repeater does not work with TRUE data.

The ship's GPS must have a displayed Waypoint , otherwise it will only show Lat and Long,

Briefly, the screens show all the stuff that you would normally find on a marine GPS. It also has roadways etc including a field showing SOG. It is not able to reflect chart data.

It shows Course Made Good but not VMG

It looks like a really useful piece of kit for the money. Probably the best bit for me is the size of the numerals. In my case, I would be able to see the data clearly with the tiller still in hand and no worries about the display getting wet.

doug748

Visit site
I have a repeater that works similarly, the big numerals are handy. It also means that I don't need the information displayed on the plotter screen which makes for less clutter and the visible screen a bit bigger.

Bav32

Visit site
Had one for years , very useful. Like others, apart from going to a waypoint, I mai ly use the speed over ground with COG in conjunction with boatspeec and course being sailed.

B27

Visit site
That COG would be a function of the RMB sentence the NASA uses. RMB message sends COG as "Destination closing velocity in knots", which is not actually the same as the boat speed over the seabed, but more useful if you want to know how quickly you are getting to your waypoint.
No, that's wrong, you could have the waypoint on your beam and it would report SOG correctly as your speed over the seabed.
We frequently put in a GOTO for a local waypoint and got the correct positive SOG as we sailed away from it.

ithet

Visit site
No, that's wrong, you could have the waypoint on your beam and it would report SOG correctly as your speed over the seabed.
We frequently put in a GOTO for a local waypoint and got the correct positive SOG as we sailed away from it.
Yes and no. Looking at details, it seems to be the velocity component along a line joining initial point to the waypoint. So would be speed over seabed if along or parallel to that line

Refueler

Visit site
IMHO - such displays are 'old hat' .... unless you specifically want data of a particular set.

The same output from a donor GPS set can feed a tablet or other display with chart as well - for similar or less money ..

The slot where a previous display was ? I would be more interested in having the Wind Display back again and working ... but that's me ..

Minerva

Visit site
I like NASA kit and had the stuff on my last few boats. I can only think a use for the NASA repeater these days is when offshore and on a long passage and wish to conserve power.

It would mean you do not have to have the chartplotter on when there is nothing too see and you don’t care to have AIS turned on. But with modern power systems / solar is that really a consideration these days?

Refueler

Visit site
I like NASA kit and had the stuff on my last few boats. I can only think a use for the NASA repeater these days is when offshore and on a long passage and wish to conserve power.

It would mean you do not have to have the chartplotter on when there is nothing too see and you don’t care to have AIS turned on. But with modern power systems / solar is that really a consideration these days?

My ONWA has a 'save power' mode ... which substantially cuts back the power used ... but leaves the unit ready to display instantly at touch of button ...
Dunno if my Echomap has it ...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My ONWA has a 'save power' mode ... which substantially cuts back the power used ... but leaves the unit ready to display instantly at touch of button ...
Dunno if my Echomap has it ...
Nope, but it uses such little power there wouldn't be much of a saving if it did.

B27

Visit site
Yes and no. Looking at details, it seems to be the velocity component along a line joining initial point to the waypoint. So would be speed over seabed if along or parallel to that line
Have you ever sailed with a Nasa GPS repeater?
I have, albeit over 15 years ago.
The SOG it gave was the Speed Over the Ground.
Simple as that.

It was the same as the speed indicated by the main GPS receiver it was repeating, which was not waypoint dependent.

B27

Visit site

Not everyone has a chartplotter.
Many lower budget boats are using tablets or phones.
I think simple display of COG and SOG, ideally with DTW and BTW is nice.
Everyone in the cockpit can see it.
It's independent of the tablet.
It's 'handsfree', you can glance at the display while your hands are full flying a spinnaker etc.
People don't need their reading glasses for it.
It's a sunlight readable display with sensible lighting at night.

It's a bit old skool, but when the weather kicks up a bit, it tells you everything you need to know.
Typically, 'where is that cardinal? and am I clearing it? and what progress am I making?'

I don't currently have one, but if the Nasa Wind Instrument doesn't start behaving, things might change!

Minerva

Visit site
It's 'handsfree', you can glance at the display while your hands are full flying a spinnaker etc.

It's a bit old skool, but when the weather kicks up a bit, it tells you everything you need to know.
Typically, 'where is that cardinal? and am I clearing it? and what progress am I making?'

I don't currently have one, but if the Nasa Wind Instrument doesn't start behaving, things might change!
Principle coastal nav by tablet & phone describes most of what do.

I am also self aware that I'm not going to type 6-10 waypoints worth of numerical lat/longs from the frustrating number menu each day we're sailing into the chart table GPS.

I strongly suspect that most folk would stop doing this quite shortly after the novelty wears off from getting a new gadget

Refueler

Visit site

The photo here is my cheapo Lowrance ....

FMajNk6l.jpg

Still working today ... can actually have boxes filling the screen and display more simultaneously than the Echomap I have on my 38 .. the Echomap offers alternatives in boxes - not extra boxes ... so much for a unit that cost 4x the Lowrance. I accept that the Lowrance is old hat now - but it can still have Navionics card ..

Snowgoose-1

Visit site

I had a chart plotter on a previous boat . Although the data was excellent I just didn't use it. Like many now, I have charts on a tablet and my Smartphone should it be necessary. No specific reasons but perhaps I am finding life over burdened with information from all directions.