Nanni Engines: Your experiences??

amosgdm

Visit site
I'm about to replace a Volvo MD2B by a Nanni. The Volvo, Yanmar, Nanni dealer made an attractive offer but the brand is unknown to me. Are you familiar with Nanni?

beneteau_305_553

Visit site
The new Nanni 14 HP Nanni on a friends First 257 seems much noisier than my 18 Hp Volvo 2020. Also I think the alternator is much smaller. I would go Volvo or Yanmar if I had the choice.

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
The MD2b is about 23 Hp as I recall. That suggests the 3 cylinder Nanni or Betamarine BD722. Both these engines are based on the Kubota diesel engines used in small earth-moving equipment. Differences come with the marinising components. On the BD 722 thes components seem to about double the engine size. The original engine is tiny.
You will get different options with th two manufacturers on things like engine width and hieght, width apart of mounting feet etc. Also Betamarine is at Stroud, Gloucester if you want to go and see them. I am very satisfied with my BD722.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
My sail boat just happens to have a Nanni 375HE fitted (doubt I would get into the marina berth without it Woodentop), works a treat, never had a problem. Filters are most easily sourced from the importer (AR Peachment), unless you have a local supply, but their mail order is very efficient.
I suspect any modern small diesel will be reliable and suit your need. Possibly a more important issue is the competence of the firm installing it and their ability to complete a neat installation. A colleague had a Volvo installed and the apparently competent installers negleted to include a siphon break in the system!

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I replaced a MD2B, in the end with a Beta 28hp. I considered a Nanni and a Yanmar but it was the engine mount position and profile that decided it. If you dont want to have to cut your cabin furniture about, I suggest you make some cardboard profiles of the prospective engines all to the same scale and then compare with your existing MD2B. In my case the forward engine mounts and front end of the Nanni would have projected into the cabin. The Yanmar would have been so close to the starboard side of the engine compartment that changing the filters would have been a nightmare. The Beta would just (1/2 inch!) fit and the mounts did not need an horendous amount of amendment although the gearbox output position is higher. I note from the forum that all the engines seem to be OK. Certainly the Beta we have has done over 400 hours with no trouble. If you need a photocopy of the MD2B dimensions PM me.

bigmart

Visit site
I have just bought a Beta 16. Kubota Engine ,same as Nanni. Its much smaller than I expected from the drawings, very quiet, incredibly economical. All in all I am very pleased.

The Nanni being the same basic engine would, I imagine be similarly good.

Martin

Signed Out

Visit site
I've got a Nanni (4110 30HP) and am so hoping it is a good engine too... I'll tell you nore the end of the coming season.
Woodentop, fancy helping me with close-quarters maneouvering under sail or heavy weather entrance to narrow channels under sail and short-handed? I need some tips.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I have a Beta BD722 wich replaced my 20 year old Bukh.The engine is tiny and very well balanced and since it weighs 100kgs less than the Bukh, I could afford to use really heavy sound insulation like 2mm sheet lead and Vetus foam on top.Most new boats I've been in are much noisier than mine.It's been in place for three years and I'm very happy with it.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Woodentop,not trying to confront you on this but I don't think you'd even be allowed engineless in a marina,bowsprit and all.My boat is extremely manouvreable under both sail and power and still it can be quite a challenge to get her out of my berth when the wind is blowing from the wrong direction.

Aardee

Visit site
I don't recall Agdm saying it was for a sail boat...so don't be so effing rude. If you're that much if a screaming luddite, how did you get here with nothing more than your quill & vellum???

ChathamSailor

Visit site
The new Nanni 14 HP Nanni on a friends First 257 seems much noisier than my 18 Hp Volvo 2020. Also I think the alternator is much smaller. I would go Volvo or Yanmar if I had the choice.
I have had my Thorneycroft 52 HP replaced with a Nanni N4 80 Turbodiesel with bigger prop etc. perfect, fuel consumption 3.5L/Hr very quiet, perfect motor. Fitted by Southern Marine in Poole.