Nanni Engines: Your experiences??

ianc1200

Visit site
As somebody asked how long they lasted - well my 2003 62hp 5 cylinder Nanni only lasted 5.5 years. Replaced it with another of the same (which is now 15 years old). My experiences of dealing with Peachments however were awful. For another boat, went to Beta - much better to deal with.

Fossil

Visit site
We have just re-engined with a Nanni 3.21 because Volvo were not supplying New Zealand earlier this year. We are just coming up to the first service. I am very pleased with the motor. As has been said, it is based on the Kubota motors, which makes it very easy to get spare parts to fit it, it runs very smoothly, kicks out more than enough power to sink the cockpit drains on full chat and by all accounts it is a good make - headquartered in France. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

Poignard

Visit site
As somebody asked how long they lasted - well my 2003 62hp 5 cylinder Nanni only lasted 5.5 years. Replaced it with another of the same (which is now 15 years old). My experiences of dealing with Peachments however were awful. For another boat, went to Beta - much better to deal with.
Only 5-1/2 years life from a new engine. That’s terrible.

What failed to make you write it off after such a short life?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

Someone I knew was very chuffed with the Nanni 14 they replaced an old engine with, but very uncomplimentary about the installation job that Peachments did on it.

Some years ago on here there were also complaints about problems getting Nanni spares in the UK (are Peachments the importers?).

The "little end" (?) to the front cylinder broke, so the piston was going up and down causing damage. Told would be an uneconomic repair.

Wow! I can't remember ever hearing about such a fundamental failure of a sailing boat engine, or at least not one that wasn't decades old.

ianc1200

Visit site
That’s a Kubota issue really.

It is - but the problem was with Peachments - they supplied the engine - and their inability to resolve the problem. This was after they over-invoiced for the engine originally and were always in meetings, at funerals, would never respond. I waylaid Kevin Peachment at a boat show, he swore blind he would resolve after the show, but never did. I've heard the exact opposite re Beta - they seem to want to resolve all problems.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
It is - but the problem was with Peachments - they supplied the engine - and their inability to resolve the problem. This was after they over-invoiced for the engine originally and were always in meetings, at funerals, would never respond. I waylaid Kevin Peachment at a boat show, he swore blind he would resolve after the show, but never did. I've heard the exact opposite re Beta - they seem to want to resolve all problems.
I’m sorry to hear of your experience. We’ve had nothing but good service from Peachments over the years. No connection with them except as a satisfied customer.