My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

chillee

Visit site
1990 Regal Valanti 225 SPC Wallasea Island, United Kingdom - Clarke and Carter

Hey thats epic... we sometimes visit Asda in that area ;) .. and thanks they are great tips. Any thoughts on the Regal (link above) or is the Sea Ray ok (pic above)?

As below from the advert...

Comes with Parts Manual, Owners Manual Supplement, and Service Log Book and Service receipts dating back to 2005 to include pre delivery inspection.
From my personal experience, moving up from an inflatable, to 15ft center console, 20ft bowrider, all used in the summer in Europe on the Med, and now a 25ft cabin cruiser. For what you are planning, I would go seriously look at the Regal. Probably a better hull for the solent, if you eventually go there. Has a full canopy, so can get out of the rain, or spray. But, with the trailer, you will need something like a range rover to tow it. You will need probably 3000kg towing capacity.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
From my personal experience, moving up from an inflatable, to 15ft center console, 20ft bowrider, all used in the summer in Europe on the Med, and now a 25ft cabin cruiser. For what you are planning, I would go seriously look at the Regal. Probably a better hull for the solent, if you eventually go there. Has a full canopy, so can get out of the rain, or spray. But, with the trailer, you will need something like a range rover to tow it. You will need probably 3000kg towing capacity.

ok thanks.. my wife was looking at getting another car... a 7 seater yesterday just so we can use for a boat... we have an Alaskan malamute now too and albeit she is only 6 months old she's getting too big to sit in my car (which I thought was big enough as its an American muscle car)

julians

Visit site
assuming its not a scam, and the boat does exist and is owned by the person selling it, you're taking quite a risk buying that unseen. They're not complicated boats, but if the engine has serious faults or the drive is knackered you could be looking at spedning thousands to get it up and running.

On the other hand it might all turn out great.

Not to mention other issues such a rotted floor (cant remembre whether that era of sea ray has fibrglass floor or plywood), transom etc.

Nito

Visit site
Welcome Tony.

I can see where you’re coming from but I can’t help but read this thread and shake my head. I can understand the excitement and don’t want to be a naysayer but it’s almost like watching a slow motion train wreck. Lots of red flags from the seller cash/selling on behalf etc but also from yourself. The SeaRay looks lovely for dreams of a boat and getting on the water but buying unseen is a recipe for disaster and I’d suggest you’d at least want to meet and talk with the actual owner if you are going to do a deal.

A boat really isn’t something you want to pick up on a whim. I can’t help but feel that you want to slow the process down a bit and more research and thought is required about the kind of usage you’d envisage and the kind of boat that will suit. So it sounds like river boating is what you have in mind. That being the case, as has been said, boats require a safety cert and you’ll need a river license and insurance. If that boat has been used for river then it should have one.

If it has been used at sea be careful that the bearings aren’t knackered on the trailer. either way, make sure the tyres and pressures are good.

We set out on our quest with thoughts of a small river boat in mind (like a Shetland 4+2) and it quickly spiralled into a boat in a Marina. I’m very glad it did. Through our research, launching a boat wouldn’t have worked for us, we were put off by research showing how long it can take to queue for the slip (we also witnessed this first hand) as everyone has the same thought at the weekend when the weather is nice, then you have to deal with trailer and tow car while simultaneously having boat in the water.

How much help are your wife and kids going to be with this? You’ve not staked out potential locations yet and if it doesn’t go well the first couple of times you might end up with noone wanting to come along. Being moored on the river is another option, and yes most Marina’s are perfectly secure, safer than a river mooring I’d suggest and probably safer than on a drive.

By all means buy a boat, but it can take a little time and research to see what it is you really want and the more you research the more you understand and realise what you are looking for.

My advice would be to press pause on buying a boat and go and rent a self drive boat on a river with the family. Get a feel for how they take to it, how they move around how they muck in…bear in mind you have a 4-6 knot limit so you may want something a bit more comfortable with weather protection to get out of rain or beating sun or something more stable so it doesn’t rock and roll about when someone moves.

If it is sea use you have in mind, again think about where you could go and where you would launch from, what the facilities for launching are like etc. Visit some local boating spots and observe etc.

It’s too easy to see a boat on a trailer and buy into that lifestyle only to realise you’ve made an expensive mistake. How many boats do you see rotting on driveways? Then there is the whole maintenance side to consider of whatever you buy.

Try and enjoy the process, in my experience it is a process and not a two minute split decision to buy the first ones that pop up. I’m sorry to come across all preachy but you’ve asked for advise and those are my thoughts and impressions based on our experience and also we too had much good advice from experienced boaters on forums etc :)

Above all, enjoy and good luck with whatever you do.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
1990 Regal Valanti 225 SPC Wallasea Island, United Kingdom - Clarke and Carter

Hey thats epic... we sometimes visit Asda in that area ;) .. and thanks they are great tips. Any thoughts on the Regal (link above) or is the Sea Ray ok (pic above)?

As below from the advert...

Comes with Parts Manual, Owners Manual Supplement, and Service Log Book and Service receipts dating back to 2005 to include pre delivery inspection.

Putting aside whether either of the boats are genuine or not, the Regal offers a much more usable package. Bow riders are not great in any sort of conditions. Having said that, the trailer looks a bit iffy on the regal and the engine looks much older than claimed (decal logo is from a much earlier time).

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Welcome Tony.

I can see where you’re coming from but I can’t help but read this thread and shake my head. I can understand the excitement and don’t want to be a naysayer but it’s almost like watching a slow motion train wreck. Lots of red flags from the seller cash/selling on behalf etc but also from yourself. The SeaRay looks lovely for dreams of a boat and getting on the water but buying unseen is a recipe for disaster and I’d suggest you’d at least want to meet and talk with the actual owner if you are going to do a deal.

A boat really isn’t something you want to pick up on a whim. I can’t help but feel that you want to slow the process down a bit and more research and thought is required about the kind of usage you’d envisage and the kind of boat that will suit. So it sounds like river boating is what you have in mind. That being the case, as has been said, boats require a safety cert and you’ll need a river license and insurance. If that boat has been used for river then it should have one.

If it has been used at sea be careful that the bearings aren’t knackered on the trailer. either way, make sure the tyres and pressures are good.

We set out on our quest with thoughts of a small river boat in mind (like a Shetland 4+2) and it quickly spiralled into a boat in a Marina. I’m very glad it did. Through our research, launching a boat wouldn’t have worked for us, we were put off by research showing how long it can take to queue for the slip (we also witnessed this first hand) as everyone has the same thought at the weekend when the weather is nice, then you have to deal with trailer and tow car while simultaneously having boat in the water.

How much help are your wife and kids going to be with this? You’ve not staked out potential locations yet and if it doesn’t go well the first couple of times you might end up with noone wanting to come along. Being moored on the river is another option, and yes most Marina’s are perfectly secure, safer than a river mooring I’d suggest and probably safer than on a drive.

By all means buy a boat, but it can take a little time and research to see what it is you really want and the more you research the more you understand and realise what you are looking for.

My advice would be to press pause on buying a boat and go and rent a self drive boat on a river with the family. Get a feel for how they take to it, how they move around how they muck in…bear in mind you have a 4-6 knot limit so you may want something a bit more comfortable with weather protection to get out of rain or beating sun or something more stable so it doesn’t rock and roll about when someone moves.

If it is sea use you have in mind, again think about where you could go and where you would launch from, what the facilities for launching are like etc. Visit some local boating spots and observe etc.

It’s too easy to see a boat on a trailer and buy into that lifestyle only to realise you’ve made an expensive mistake. How many boats do you see rotting on driveways? Then there is the whole maintenance side to consider of whatever you buy.

Try and enjoy the process, in my experience it is a process and not a two minute split decision to buy the first ones that pop up. I’m sorry to come across all preachy but you’ve asked for advise and those are my thoughts and impressions based on our experience and also we too had much good advice from experienced boaters on forums etc :)

Above all, enjoy and good luck with whatever you do.

Thank you... I seem to do this a lot but luckily its all worked out in the past...

funny story most recently I bought and imported a new American muscle car .. some heart palpitations as took £40k cash out, sent to my brother in law, who gave to his family friend, who went to a dealership.. bought it... transported to the docs... shipped it over.... converted it to ensure UK legal.... was a fun process though ;)....

I first went to Germany with the cash in a bag but it didnt feel right... a giant wharehouse in east Germany, run down area... full of exotic super cars! ... spoke to the local police but they couldnt comment... did lots of research that night after seeing the car and through my epic investigation PC skills I tracked down all the information about the car... was a right off in a flood in America.. imported to Germany and sold under a different insurance class!!!.. Had a nice holiday with the family still though ;)

Back to the boat.. thanks for taking the time to reply that weas really helpful.

Good call and im going to go see it, take a marine engineer and interrogate the owner before parting with cash.

Im thinking about a marina now too. My wife is pretty good but my girls are 5, 6 and 7 years old.. so they will do what I tell them!!!(I jest).

I can always sell it if its not for me (or put it in the garden for the kids to play on) but I'm easily pleased so not to fussy on the type of boat at present ;)... I've been on quite a few boats when we used to travel before covid so know about "being on a boat".. but always paid people to take us around so yes a lot of learning to do. Been fascinated by boats and been wanting one for over 20 years when I first set foot on one on holiday...just making an effort to now buy one.

Nito

Visit site
Putting aside whether either of the boats are genuine or not, the Regal offers a much more usable package. Bow riders are not great in any sort of conditions. Having said that, the trailer looks a bit iffy on the regal and the engine looks much older than claimed (decal logo is from a much earlier time).

Wholeheartedly agree. Especially as there is an Alaskan Malamute in the mix now too!! Somewhere for it to get some shade would be useful as is the platform on the back and a proper canopy.

So it was a 3 day auction that has ended now. Come on Tony spill the beans?? ;)

Nito

Visit site
So it was a 3 day auction that has ended now. Come on Tony spill the beans?? ;)

Well that was weird, Tony’s reply wasn’t there when I posted that!!

It’s good that you’re going to see it first. At least if it’s decent you won’t have too much trouble shifting it on if you do decide it isn’t for you, just make sure the trailer is safe if you are driving it away. It doesn’t say in the ad but does it have a storage cover? It looks too clean to not have one unless it has been stored indoors?

Again, good luck with it, keep us posted on how you get on, it’s a good looking boat that looks to be in nice condition from the pics :)

ST840

Visit site
my girls are 5, 6 and 7 years old
If or when you get a boat, take it out a few times without your girls. Just you and the wife, or better still a mate. Then take the wife once you have got used to the procedures. Don't ever take young kids on the maiden voyage, if something goes wrong they will never forget and will probably never want to go again!!

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
The auction has ended (at£9100) - did you win it?

Yes.. when I want something I just get it (I put a max bid of £20k on it pretty much with 1 min to go)

Best get a boat with a toilet :p

Oh man... should have read this reply earlier... the amount of toilet breaks we have just driving up the M40 makes me think you were right here!!!

Well that was weird, Tony’s reply wasn’t there when I posted that!!

It’s good that you’re going to see it first. At least if it’s decent you won’t have too much trouble shifting it on if you do decide it isn’t for you, just make sure the trailer is safe if you are driving it away. It doesn’t say in the ad but does it have a storage cover? It looks too clean to not have one unless it has been stored indoors?

Again, good luck with it, keep us posted on how you get on, it’s a good looking boat that looks to be in nice condition from the pics :)

Ok and will do. Shall ask the structural marine guy to look at the trailer. The lady said there is no cover? On a review video I saw on YouTube there was a built in one in the back that covers you when it rains? I am going to arrange for a company to drive it down to me after I look at it... it is way up north and about 4 to 5 hours drive away. My American Import car doesn't have a tow bar and I need to buy another car for my wife in the next few weeks and will use that one to ferry the boat around.

If or when you get a boat, take it out a few times without your girls. Just you and the wife, or better still a mate. Then take the wife once you have got used to the procedures. Don't ever take young kids on the maiden voyage, if something goes wrong they will never forget and will probably never want to go again!!

Good idea. Best get a life jacket then too ;)

Or less Horse power (ponies instead)

Ha... I drive a 5.7L V8 Hemi as my daily car and the girls love it... "accelerate" and "whiplash" are two of the words they first learnt!

The Regal didnt have the trailer with the sale... the company quoted me £4k for a trailer.... so hit this one on the head... bought the Sea Ray ;) ... albeit no toilet !!!!!!

alandalus11

Visit site
Yes.. when I want something I just get it (I put a max bid of £20k on it pretty much with 1 min to go)
Hope it all works out for you and good luck but I can't help feeling that you have jumped in too quickly. £20K in my view is well overpriced for that boat. 3 girls, wife and large dog. could get very cramped on a bowrider. For £20K you could have bought something like this with a bit more room and cover to get out of bad weather. Maxum 2400 SCR Used Boat for Sale 2001
or even this Regal 2460 Commodore Used Boat for Sale 2001

If you thinking of keeping it in a marina there would have been no need for storage considerations.

Last edited:

markc

Visit site
Enjoy! Providing the boat is OK, you'll easily sell it when you want something else (with a toilet).

As others have mentioned here, dropping it in the Thames for a potter is a great first step. No tides, no waves. You will need to learn how to manoeuvre it - a single engine with a lot of grunt can easily end in tears. As for Boat Safety requirements on the Thames, I think the rules are more lenient for open boats, but others here will know better.