My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Agree with everything above.
Don't rush into this, especially as it's all new to you.
Certainly have a survey, incl engine.
Unless you've been doing research leading up to the purchase, I'd take the time before buying toget the answers to the questions you are posing. Plenty of help on here, if you supply more info.

ok and thank you... what further information can help?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
I would say you are potentially running headlong into a financial disaster on this, take a step back and view a few different style boats first, consider where you want to use it (sea or inland), consider how you'll use it, every boat is a comprise by design so you'll never find the perfect one but your intended use will determine the best type for you.
Sorry but I panicked when you asked what's a solent.

im flexible but likely inland... not sure where yet though... the Thames?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
As you planned to keep it on driveway I guess it comes with trailer. Just be careful there, a lot of boats in that price range comes on so called yard trailers. Those are not legal or safe to be towed on any kind of road due to lack of brakes - in that boat case you most probably looking at 1500kg trailer. Before towing it double check that the trailer got brakes and those are fully functional. Also don't forget about S (vertical load on a tow bar) value of your card. Ideally you should measure how trailer is setup before hitching it - Link

I was in a similar position as you few years back. The boat I bough come on a nice trailer with "braked axel" - but brakes were removed. I need to buy everything to re-fit those. Clues to look at photos of trailer - can you see Bowden cables for each wheel ? Can you see brake rod from the hitch ? Can you see hitch with a brake leaver :) If any of those are missing forget about towing it anywhere!

Finally I've managed to keep the boat on a driveway for a year. After that I got enough :) Each time I wanted to go it was 2-3h lost due to all the launching chores - straps, transom saver, light board, drums flushing, wheel lock etc. Now I got boat in marina so 10 mins and you are ready to go :) Yes cost in higher but launching and recovering each time is a pain.

Beside that - good luck!

PS. Check the fuel tank and connectors as those are the pain to remove if rusted or leaking.
PS2. It is probably wooden floor if 20 years old. Walk and put pressure on every bit of floor to looks for any rotting.

Yes a trailer it is as per the photo. Can this not be used to drive 5 hours from pickup to my house? How safe is it leaving it at a marina?

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 66

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Boating doesn't really work like that. In a boat of that size, you will be very weather dependent and might only get a few dozen days a year when it will be safe and nice enough to go out. The chances of these coinciding with the last Sunday of the month are quite slim.

Instead of getting the wife to buy the boat for your birthday, ask her to pay for some lessons so that you can build up some knowledge and skills.

Im guessing rivers are better than the sea in terms of it being safer to go out more? Good call on lessons but with c-19 and high risk im avoiding meeting most people at present unfortunately.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
This is the boat im looking Sea Ray bowrider 180 from 1999 ... at its only c£10k sso thought ok for a first boat... is the Regal one I shared a link to above better than this one for the same price?

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 102

chillee

Visit site
Tony, I live down the road from you in Lower Earley.
Please take heed of the advice from the others, if it has a Mercruiser inboard, can be very expensive to fix. Unless there is some very good authentic paper work.
I did buy a 20ft bowrider without a survey, but I did see it, from a reputable dealer though, and came with good service history.
Thames is nice for a potter. The Searay I think you are buying is a bowrider, so will be very nice for this.
There is a very good slipway at Windsor by the Leisure center.
Or you could some marina slipways as well. Valwyatt in Wargrave have one for instance.

If you want to venture further a field, then Southampton Water and onto the Solent.
I've used the slipway by the Itchen bridge, it's big with good parking.
Calshot also has a very good slipway, and is right on the Solent.

Be careful though in a small bowrider on the solent. The chop can get up when the wind picks up, which invariably happens on hot sunny days.
if it gets up to an F3, an18ft bowrider can become very uncomfortable, with a lot of spray hitting people in the back.
Also need to be careful you don't bury your bow into the wake of passing larger boats. Trust me that some wakes seem huge to a small bowrider .

Having said that all that, you might be limited weather wise in a boat like this, but you can still have much fun, and a great introduction to getting out on the water. Just be careful and do some training.
1. So you and your familky are safe especially if on the Solent
2. So you don't damage other peoples property. Boats don't handle like cars do.

chillee

Visit site
Im guessing rivers are better than the sea in terms of it being safer to go out more? Good call on lessons but with c-19 and high risk im avoiding meeting most people at present unfortunately.
Outside and wearing masks. Honestly it will be fine.
My son had covid over Xmas, and 3 others in the house did not catch it by wearing masks and being sensible.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Tony, I live down the road from you in Lower Earley.
Please take heed of the advice from the others, if it has a Mercruiser inboard, can be very expensive to fix. Unless there is some very good authentic paper work.
I did buy a 20ft bowrider without a survey, but I did see it, from a reputable dealer though, and came with good service history.
Thames is nice for a potter. The Searay I think you are buying is a bowrider, so will be very nice for this.
There is a very good slipway at Windsor by the Leisure center.
Or you could some marina slipways as well. Valwyatt in Wargrave have one for instance.

If you want to venture further a field, then Southampton Water and onto the Solent.
I've used the slipway by the Itchen bridge, it's big with good parking.
Calshot also has a very good slipway, and is right on the Solent.

Be careful though in a small bowrider on the solent. The chop can get up when the wind picks up, which invariably happens on hot sunny days.
if it gets up to an F3, an18ft bowrider can become very uncomfortable, with a lot of spray hitting people in the back.
Also need to be careful you don't bury your bow into the wake of passing larger boats. Trust me that some wakes seem huge to a small bowrider .

Having said that all that, you might be limited weather wise in a boat like this, but you can still have much fun, and a great introduction to getting out on the water. Just be careful and do some training.
1. So you and your familky are safe especially if on the Solent
2. So you don't damage other peoples property. Boats don't handle like cars do.

1990 Regal Valanti 225 SPC Wallasea Island, United Kingdom - Clarke and Carter

Hey thats epic... we sometimes visit Asda in that area ;) .. and thanks they are great tips. Any thoughts on the Regal (link above) or is the Sea Ray ok (pic above)?

As below from the advert...

Comes with Parts Manual, Owners Manual Supplement, and Service Log Book and Service receipts dating back to 2005 to include pre delivery inspection.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Questions from me and answers from the seller below received back just now...

1) One of the pictures which has a serial number (I think photo 5). where is that located on the boat and is that mould or rust shown in the bottom half of that photo? - Please send me email address so I can send further images and docs over

2) Is there a cover for it so when it rains the kids won’t get wet? - No cover

3) does anything need repairing on it either the engine or the boat? - No, newly fitted battery with 3 year warranty

4) Are You The Original Owner of The Boat or how many owners has it had? - Unsure of owners, I can see 3 from the paperwork we have which dates back to its pre delivery inspection from new.

5) is it registered with The UK Ship Register? - Unsure

6) what kind of little quirks does the boat have? - Sony CD sound system with speakers throughout boat

7) why are you selling the boat? - I am selling on behalf of my boss who has bought a new boat

8) How, and how often, has the boat been used? - Unsure as selling on behalf of boss

9) Has the Boat/Motor Had Any Major Repairs? - I have all the paperwork for servicing and repairs if you could send me an email address I can send over the scans?

10) How Many Hours Does The Motor Have on It? - A colleague is checking this for you.

11) Was The Boat Used in Saltwater - Not under our ownership.

12) Is All The Boat’s Equipment Included? - Only pictured included.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Using the boat on a river will require a detailed inspection and a Boat Safety Certificate. Ask the seller if it already has one.

Bringing the boat up to the standards required may entail quite a lot of work and expense.