My Fastnet Adventure with Challenge

dralex

Visit site
I'm now back from a week aboard a BT Challenge 67ft Yacht sailing from Southampton, to the Fastnet, on to Kinsale and back, and what a week it was. I'd never done sailing like that before, my usual being short handed up to a maximum of 24 hours at sea.

I boarded BG Spirit and immediately felt like a novice again, with everything I was used to using reproduced on a huge scale and done slightly differently. Add in running backstays which could take your head off, along with winches the size of dustbins and sheets and halyards thick enough to restring the Tamar Bridge and you begin to get an idea of the hugeness. Almost nothing could be done alone, needing teamwork and coordination even to hoist a sail.

We had a crew of 8 of us plus the skipper and mate, which made watches of 5 people. AFter a lengthy safety briefing and introduction to pipe cots, we started our voyage, heading west out of the Solent, down the south weat coast to the Lizard, then inshore of the Isles of Scilly and up to the Fastnet. Working on a prolonged watch system was a real eye opener after conventional life ashore, but once you got into the groove of eat, sail, sleep etc, it was refreshingly different and not difficult. THere was something very indulgent about just going back to bed whenever you were off watch.

We had very little wind initially, but it gradually built as we made our way up the Celtic Sea until we were doing a steady 8-10 knots on a very beam reach with poled out Yankee. The sea was starting to build on the quarter and made for great competition between crew members trying to get the fastest logged speed. The wind and sea continued to build and my evening in my bunk was spent listening to sail changes and increasing weather, while trying to fall asleep on a rollercoaster.

2300 came and even getting dressed was a " Challenge" as the boat hurtled over and through waves, heading West of the Fastnet. Stepping up on deck was a true defining experience as the wind, sea and rain lashed you in darkness. The thing that is burnt in my mind from that night was being on the foredeck with 3 other people trying to change a headsail. I was overawed at the brutality and power of the boat as it surged down waves at over 10 knots, then took off over the top of the next one, while these tiny humans were on the foredeck fighting to change a sail in up to 38 knots of wind. THe cockpit seemed like a real haven afterwards.

It was a long cold night- I didn't see the Fastnet Light as we passed it in the dead of night- my warm bunk seemed like a far nicer option. I'm convinced I touched on the first stages of hypothermia after that watch. My kit worked very well, but I stupidly did not do up the velcro on my ankles tight enough, resulting in a salt water douche up my leg. I got colder and colder, and then rather strangely felt warmer and more relaxed without any activity or warming. It took me a whole 4 hours off watch to warm up and dry off.

We arrived in Kinsale after 490miles of sailing. I'd not had a touch of sea sickness in the whole trip, but dry land was difficult. My land sickness usually responds to a touch of medicinal alcohol, but the only thing that would settle it this times was bed.

The sail back was gentle and relaxing, with a well established watch system and calm seas. We had dolphins, fog and lots of tea.

On reflection, it was an eye opening trip and a whole new sailing experience for me. I'd love to repeat it. It made me really appreciate how powerful these boats are and how much strength and resolve it takes to tame them. It has done a lot for my confidence and also pushed my respect for round the world sailors through the stratosphere.

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Nice to read a straightforward, honest account of a sailing trip for a change! Trouble is these kinds of experience give you a taste for more don't they? Next thing you're getting office fever and surfing the web for the next adventure!

dralex

Visit site
Very true. THere was a point when a plane home from Cork seemed like a good idea ( but only for about half an hour). I'd love to do more now. My own boat feels like a dinghy after that!!!

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Nice one ! !

Sounds like great fun. When's the next one??

Nearest I've ever come to anything like that was on a Swan 51 going down to Cape St Vincent in a F7/8. I've a picture at home of me on the helm with the bigest silly grin on my face you could imagine !!

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Good account and having spent 2 weeks in early Feb this year breaking out of my usual sailing mould, I can understand the pleasure it brings.

I did a delivery from Les Sables D'Olone to the Canaries (1500 miles approx) and I did enjoy it very much, I learned a lot and it gave me confidence that otherwise takes years to accumulate....... but it did rather instill the idea that actually I prefer 'pottering' to 'passage making'. This was a real suprise as having sailed for 40 years I had always wanted to do a 'passage'. In a way it has laid that to rest because I not longer want to sail off for a year and a day... but on the other hand I do feel I could handle an Atlantic crossing with reasonable confidence..........

Nick

www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather

dralex

Visit site
You're right about it building confidence. My next trip is with a couple of friends to deliver my boat to Brest in June- a mere 24 hours with luck. Passage making is a frame of mind and accepting that you're not in the normal life routine of home and work. I could get to like it.

Cutter

Visit site
Alex
What a good trip - thanks for posting. Bet the Dehler felt small afterwards. All we managed this weekend was Bosham and back - partly cos of a wedding interfering.
Hope to make it westwards this summer and will give you a call.
Best wishes
Richard

dralex

Visit site
The boat is ashore for a week to do all the under water jobs. I brought it round to the boat yard single handed- it felt so tiny. I suppose I'd better get used to it.

Becky

Visit site
Excellent post, Dralex. Especially when our Portugal Rally is now only 3 weeks away. I found your comments about settling into the watch routine quite comforting as we will be doing 4 hours on, 4 hours off. Which leaves not much time for cooking and other basic needs. But no doubt I will sort something out; you just have to get on with it, I suppose.
Well done.

Colin_S

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The boat is ashore for a week to do all the under water jobs. I brought it round to the boat yard single handed- it felt so tiny. I suppose I'd better get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once made the mistake of calling a fellow forumite's boat 'it'. Boy, did he put me straight PDQ.
Hope I enjoy next weeks crewing on a 180 mile race to Holland as much as you enjoyed your jaunt.