My dream boat

flaming

Visit site
What an exciting boat you are considering!

My only question would be surrounding the open transom. If you are intending to push the boat at all in planing mode then you are going to take a lot of water into the cockpit. For example, see from 5 minutes in this video.

I don't think a closed transom would cope with that sort of volume of water, which is a large part of why such boats normally come with open transoms. The boats I've sailed with open transoms just have 3 wire guardrails at the same level as the pushpit, meaning the top wire is about chest height to the helmsman. I've never felt in danger of falling out the back of these boats.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
An Ovni will do over 14knts only if it was on the face of a huge wave or being dropped from a crane.

I've sailed on a Pogo 12.50 at 16knts in 10knts true.
Flat fast and on the day we were sailing, very dry.
I was standing, wandering around the cockpit with a cuppa in my hand whilst blasting past numerous 30 to 40ft awb's sailing at their normal 6 or 7knts.
Ok it was flat water on the Grevelingenmeer but we hadn't even got the big assy up.

MikeBz

Visit site
An Ovni will do over 14knts only if it was on the face of a huge wave or being dropped from a crane.

:D We were overtaken (in the horizontal plane) by one a few weeks ago, not sure which model but at least a 40 footer. Our boat is a 32' AWB floating caravan with bilge keels + lifting plate (draggy/tender/under-rigged). Wind was about 12 knots @ 135T. We were under main & jib, Autopilot on, enjoying the sun. The Ovni was under main & assymetric kite, hand steered, well sailed. Every now and then I looked at his speed on the AIS, typically it was 0.5-0.75kt faster than us. I had expected rather more from it.

Triassic

Visit site
Much more interested in multi's than I used to be but there's something deep down that stops me taking it further.

The aspect I'm enjoying looking at is working on a design specifically based round two people and not trying to squeeze lots of bunks in, two heads etc and saving huge space not to mention weight by looking at electric propulsion.

Have you actually tried a multihull yet? Obviously there are multihulls and then there are multihulls..... so it very much depends on what exactly you need or want from your boat. You mention popping over to Holland so clearly a reasonable level of seaworthiness is required and you need enough accommodation for two and a small trimaran is quite capable of that. My F27 is probably a bit on the small side for you (certainly hasn't got the 5'11" headroom) but if you look around for it's bigger brother the F31 or F9A, or if you're feeling flush the F32, you'll get everything you want in spades.....

The usual drawback with trimarans is keeping them in a marina which is obviously expensive. The F-boats all fold on the water (the ones with non-rotating masts in seconds rather than minutes) which can help but personally I don't even keep mine in the water which saves on all the fees plus antifouling as well...... I like your idea of electric propulsion though, might have to look into that one a bit more.....

Javelin

One of the hardest elements to nail down is the deck / coach roof.
During the Vendee and also in the video above it struck me that they didn't spend much time thinking of ways to reduce water getting to the cockpit.
I'm resigned to getting spray but water traveling along the windward side deck could be diverted or simply stopped before it got to the winches.
A convex wave catcher could again divert water from coming over the top of the sprayhood or just a hugo boss style southern ocean roof extension for those wet days at 18knts.

That said a pogo 12.50 seems a lot dryer than a Class 40 even at 24knts

Ceirwan

Visit site
http://www.rm-yachts.com/en/rm-1270 with lift keel option? Notably fails the enclosed cockpit criteria, plywood cored not cedar strip, pivoting plate with no bulb. Not sure whether it can take the ground. To buy a plywood cored boat I would have to be wealthy enough to consider it disposable. A friend has the bilge keel version (which does have bulbs) - I haven't been on it but he reports it is very fast. I'm not convinced there's that much point in a 1.9m draft bilge keeler though - OK so you can take the ground but it's not exactly shoal draft and it would be a long jump down if you wanted to get off!

RM Yachts aren't plywood core. They are built using plywood epoxy construction, there is no sheathing of the plywood. (That I am aware of) Although it is sealed with epoxy.

The only way it would be disposable is if you didn't maintain it, and you could say that about most things.

Good luck with the search Javelin, your boat pretty much embodies everything I'd be looking for in a new boat, modern, fast exciting and probably quite spacious compared to older designs as well. Unfortunately for me though, also expensive!

Last edited:

Javelin

Yes the cost will be an issue but not insurmountable.
Kids are no longer kids and won't be long now till both have flown the coop and then we'll downsize the house, cars etc and cash a few things in.
Life is too short to sit and wait till we're retirement age as by that time I'll probably be wanting a motor sailer!

Current spreadsheet has a total of £144k inc vat

It roughly splits into a third for hull, deck, keel and rudder build - a third rig, sails and electric propulsion - a third basic fit out.

Thought briefly about multihulls.
Have sailed a few including the big and middle size Dragonfly and the performance was impressive but very limited in room down below especially on the 32ft
Liked the fact that it became essentially a monohull for marina berths though.
TBH I've not actually seen a cat I liked the look of although I did see one on a swing mooring at the end of the Itchenor reach last year, not sure what it was but it looked pretty good.

Last edited:

MikeBz

Visit site
RM Yachts aren't plywood core. They are built using plywood epoxy construction, there is no sheathing of the plywood. (That I am aware of) Although it is sealed with epoxy.

The only way it would be disposable is if you didn't maintain it, and you could say that about most things.

Kevlar/glass sheathing is an optional extra. Delete the word 'core' from what I wrote and I would still stick by that.

I've seen too many composite boats with bits of wood encapsulated which rot away, however well they are looked after.

Just expressing how I would feel about it, fortunately not everyone feels the same way. It's never going to be within the realms of reality for me anyway.

They are very nice boats.

DHV90

Visit site
TBH I've not actually seen a cat I liked the look of although I did see one on a swing mooring at the end of the Itchenor reach last year, not sure what it was but it looked pretty good.

The only cats ive ever liked the look of are Dazcats, theres one near us that I see quite a lot and looks purposeful, unlike most cats with an interior that ive seen around. But a cat would double the expense and complexity of the electric propulsion installation. Mono is the way to go!