Multiple Input "Regulator" for Small Boat?

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
Good evening,

I'm in the process of downsizing (by about 10 feet LOA!) and am getting reacquainted with the needs of smaller boats (e.g: HH23). Can one buy a single "box" which will:

a. Charge one or more 12v 80 AH batteries when the boat is plugged into shore power.
b. Regulate the input from solar panels(s) to the battery bank.

I know that I can buy two separate boxes to do this - but I am trying to reduce both expense and complexity!

Tranona

Visit site
Rather depends on how your batteries are arranged. If you have the common 2 bank set up with a small engine start and a larger domestic, then a simple 15A mains smart charger like this 12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-blue-smart-ip22-battery-charger-12v-15a-1-output-bluetooth-built-in.html for the domestic plus solar is sensible. Engine start really does not need any extra charge unless you plan to leave it for long periods during which it will self discharge thgen a 3 output version of the Victron is available. You could also wire your batteries such that you could use your domestic bank to start the engine in an emergency.

There are so many options best to look at your specific situation, what battery layout you have, how you use it and what you are hoping to achieve with the charging arrangements. For example on my boat I have a small engine start, 190ah domestic bank and 110Ah bow battery. the first 2 are charged from the engine through a VSR, the domestic has a 20A mains charger (and could have solar, there is a trickle charger from the domestic to the start and a B2B from the start to the bow battery. In addition I carry an 8A portable smart mains charger should I ever need to charge the engine or bow without using the engine.

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
It might be that having them as separate units is the more cost effective way perhaps?
I have this very common charge regulator, as well as this very small battery charger for the rare time that I'm 'charging' the 2 batteries.
Jamie, missed this. That seems a very cost-effective solution (I was probably(!) trying to overcomplicate the issue. Thanks! :)