Morse control springs back from full throttle

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
In ahead, the throttle can be opened all the way but as soon as presure is remoed from thelever iot springs back about one third to one half of the way, making it impossible to reach full revs unless you manually keep the lever pressed down. There is no similar problem in reverse.

Morse controls are a bit of a mystery to me, and there is nothing obvious to adjust. Below is a series of photos which will hopefully illustrate the problem:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

All advice gratefully received, as always.

- W

neil_s

Visit site
It seems to me that the throttle control arm is moving through the same angle in forward and reverse and your problem is caused by the offset cable actuator hole. Try moving the throttle cable to the other hole on the control arm to see if the throttle then slips in reverse?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
It seems to me that the throttle control arm is moving through the same angle in forward and reverse and your problem is caused by the offset cable actuator hole. Try moving the throttle cable to the other hole on the control arm to see if the throttle then slips in reverse?

I wondered about that, but thought that using the other hole the problem would be worse, not better. I may not be seeing the geometry right though - will swap holes tomorrow and see what happens.

It would definitely be better to be unable to leave the throttle set on full reverse than to be unable to leave it set on full ahead.

- W

ctva

Visit site
The screw thread on the end of the cable shoud be able to give the adjustment you require? If not is there an adjustment on the other end, I can't remember without looking on the boat, but I have changed a few of the Morse cables without problem.

I would agree with neil_s about the angles, the forward with no pressure is the same as reverse.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The screw thread on the end of the cable shoud be able to give the adjustment you require? If not is there an adjustment on the other end, I can't remember without looking on the boat, but I have changed a few of the Morse cables without problem.

I would agree with neil_s about the angles, the forward with no pressure is the same as reverse.

The adjustment is already at the end of the screw - moving it back would surely make the problem worse rather than better??

- W

earlybird

Visit site
I'd be tempted to change the cable connection to the other hole on the speed-control arm and see the effect. Might well be that you then have spring-back in reverse gear, ( which might be less of a PITA).

Spyro

Visit site
If its anything like mine there is a friction screw under the handle.
There should be but if you can't get at that you could try some sort of clamp on the throttle cable that would cause a bit of friction and hold it full on.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
If its anything like mine there is a friction screw under the handle.
I too am interested in a solution to this problem. Where “under the handle” is the screw on yours?

To reduce the problem I lightly clamped a small hose clip on the sheath of the cable. But I would like a better solution before tightening the clip still further.

ctva

Visit site
The adjustment is already at the end of the screw - moving it back would surely make the problem worse rather than better??

- W
Unless I'm completely mis-reading the photo, screwing the thread of the throttle cable into the pin on the throttle lever will shorten the cable and result in achieving the extra 10mm pull that you need?

In reverse, you will achieve full throttle earlier, which is not an issue.

peteK

Visit site
I too am interested in a solution to this problem. Where “under the handle” is the screw on yours?

To reduce the problem I lightly clamped a small hose clip on the sheath of the cable. But I would like a better solution before tightening the clip still further.

Remove the handle which is on a splined shaft by undoing the allen socket screw underneath,can be quite difficult as it seizes on,on close examination you will see bearing on the splined shaft a small screw with slot which you screw in too increase the friction which will stop the arm moving to lower revs on its own.
After removing the handle you will need to remove the plastic cover which is only clipped on to access the friction screw.

Last edited:

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
When I had this problem many years ago I spoke to an engineer at Morse. He suggested I put a cable clamp on the cable jacketed section and tighten it until the problem went away, which it did. I never had the problem again in three years of full time cruising.
I note a couple of others have found the same solution.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
When I had this problem many years ago I spoke to an engineer at Morse. He suggested I put a cable clamp on the cable jacketed section and tighten it until the problem went away, which it did. I never had the problem again in three years of full time cruising.
I note a couple of others have found the same solution.

Must need a tiny cable clamp - what did you use?

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Well, I tried screwing the sprodule up to the end of the thread on the shaft as suggested and I tried moving it to the other hole - no difference. Got the allen bolt slackened and pulled the handle off, no sign of any way of tightening anything. (And now I can't retighten the allen bolt)

So it looks like constricting the cable is the answer once I get a small enough cable clamp . . . . I presume I can put it anywhere on the cable?

I've ordered one of these from Ebay:

clip.png

Just realised I am not sure if these come apart to put over a continuous hose??

- W

earlybird

Visit site
If that doesn't come apart, a wire rope clamp will fit.
Can't say that crimping the cable is a solution with long-term appeal, given the botheration if the cable eventually fails.
Ed. beaten to it by SJ.

scottie

Visit site
First of all set the control up in slow ahead which negates the spring
If the doesn’t work and you get a slow return to shut throttle try a cable brake if you can find one
It looks like an arrow pressing on the curve of a bow and works by bending the outer conduit of the cable
Then get a copy of Morse MI control fitting instructions or even RTFM