More on 'Captain Calamity'

jb2008

Visit site
Re: More on \'Captain Calamity\'

"and continue to do"
Eh? Surely no-one's still falling for the 'Great' prefix?
Britain stopped being great when Victoria died.

Besides, given the equipment levels, support and manpower
we're giving those attempting to fight a war in Afghanistan
with, surely that's far more bonkers than anything capt.
Calamity might do to himself.

There's a world of difference between "caring to help" and
"banning from the sea".

Shorn100

Visit site

I think it's a bit like letting a child run into a busy road.

The child is not aware of the danger so it's up to an adult to stop them from doing it.

If a person doesn't have sufficient knowledge to sail safely, causing expense to the state and others, then I think banning by an Authority is acceptable.

Afterall it is our money that pays for these services.

Shorn

D

DavidTav

I agree that this level of humiliation is inappropriate and will put people off calling the coastguard for assistance in the future.

DavenHelen

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
The child is not aware of the danger so it's up to an adult to stop them from doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and that is the issue. The state at the moment regards the population as children, incapable of assessing danger. If we say the state can step in to stop anyone putting themselves in danger, many pastimes and sports suddenly could become banned. This example is at the extreme end but sets a precedent.

jb2008

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Except he's a 52 yr old adult.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*Sigh* 'tis true....

Perhaps the sailing licence, boat-MOT, and compulsory third
party (including rescue) insurance is required after all.

Heck, why should they let anyone do it, even experts with
well found boats get in trouble. Look at Branson's pickle.

flaming

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

If a person doesn't have sufficient knowledge to sail safely, causing expense to the state and others, then I think banning by an Authority is acceptable.

Shorn

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's a good analogy. After the first rescue you would expect to be able to treat him like an adult and explain the risks, unlike a child.

I have really mixed feelings over this one. On one hand I have the utmost sympathy for the rescue services this man is drawing on, and the cost is really starting to mount.

However, I have no wish to see harbour masters impounding vessels.

Perhaps as this forum is construed of such competent sailors we could offer our services in helping him deliver his craft?

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Flares out of date??

Former crew bought a boat and asked me to help bring it back to the Solent. Rigging failure lead to being dismasted in the Irish Sea and I suggesed that the Owner might care to find some flares. He tried to let off a parachute - and it melted all over his hand causing severe burns; they were 17 years old.
I now discard all out-of-date flares and have added asbestos gloves to the kit.
Quelle surprise.

futurama

Visit site

If CG weren't out attending real incidents, they'd quite often be out exercising or patroling anyway. So the cost would be less relevant than perhaps the risk, if it were in severe conditions, which this wasn't, or if another incident were compromised.

reginaldon

Visit site

We all have a duty of care to other people. I find it disappointing that so many people on here don't appear to care to help others.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shorn, you are contaminated with the H & S bug, beware

Shorn100

Visit site

Put yourself in the place of the Harbourmaster.

If he doesn't stop them from leaving and they subsequently die, he, as the person in authority, will be held responsible. Accused of negligence, possibly manslaughter.

Whether we like it or not, we now live in a blame culture. There's a whole legal industry being built on it!

And, I would not be surprised that many on here would be singing a different tune if it was their boat that an unskilled sailor smashed into on the way out of harbour, damaging craft and possibly injuring crew. They would be the first to be ranting at the Harbourmaster asking why he let this 'idiot' out.

So the freedoms of the seas are all very well in theory sitting in comfort in front of a computer but in practice people at the sharp end have to make decisons. I don't think they make them lightly.

I for one applaud those Harbourmasters that take their responsibilities seriously.

We just have to make sure we can show we are sufficiently skilled to be worthy of the priviledge to go afloat. That way we may just prevent legislation.

Putting yourself and others and their property at risk is not a right.

Shorn

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

"If he doesn't stop them from leaving and they subsequently die, he, as the person in authority, will be held responsible. Accused of negligence, possibly manslaughter."

I doubt it. He has no authority over what harbour users do when they leave the harbour.

Shorn100

Visit site

Good - better that than the alternative, every man for himself attitude.

I still adhere to the sailor's creed of giving assistance to others in need of it.

I would hope that others who go afloat would do the same. Though how many times do we hear of boats passing others by in need of help.

Shorn

Adonnante

Visit site

Quote.
If he doesn't stop them from leaving and they subsequently die, he, as the person in authority, will be held responsible. Accused of negligence, possibly manslaughter.

Name one situation where a harbourmaster or similar has been held liable.

jb2008

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I still adhere to the sailor's creed of giving assistance to others in need of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and locking them up if they choose to ignore it?

[ QUOTE ]
Though how many times do we hear of boats passing others by in need of help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly less than we hear of boats holding novices captive
for their own good it's true.

Maybe I'm an uncaring sod, or maybe I value the guys
freedom above his safety.

Shorn100

Visit site

Actually, I think he does if they have shown themselves to be incompetent.

As I said before, it's not just for their benefit, it's for all of us they might come into contact with.

Shorn

Shorn100

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...and locking them up if they choose to ignore it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the authority to do that. And I wouldn't want it.

[ QUOTE ]
Though how many times do we hear of boats passing others by in need of help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly less than we hear of boats holding novices captive
for their own good it's true.

Every weekend during the summer the CG call repeatedly for someone to tow in somebody who's broken down. Loads of people ignore them. Thankfully there are still a few willing to help.